Rainforest Safari club?

LisaRay

DIS Veteran
I just went to the rainforest website looking for info on joining the safari club. There was an 800 number to call for info but I was told you can only join the club at the actual restaraunt. Not through the website or over the phone.

Has anyone done this? I thought that I had read somewhere about joining and then using the $10 certificate towards your meal but she said it takes 8 weeks to get that in the mail. And I can't even apply or join until i get there! So i guess it is useless for this trip since it is 4-5 weeks away.

You can apply through the mail. Call the 800 number back and tell them you would like to do it that way. I did mine awhile back so I don't remember the address.

We belong to the Safari Club even though there isn't a Rainforest Cafe anywhere near here. There is a fee to join--$15 I think. They do send you a $10 coupon to use. They also ask for your birth date so they can send you a birthday coupon. In addition to the discount on food and in the gift shop, we found that the best part of a Safari Club membership was the fact that if you have a membership, you go straight to the front of the line--regardless of how many other people are waiting.

Once, I thought we were going to be HARMED by the mob of folks waiting because we walked right in from Animal Kingdom, past everyone else and were the next table seated. And then, I had to explain to the kids why we "cut" in line.:rotfl:

If you don't use it for one year, it does go inactive but you can reactivate it by paying $5.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and we joined by mail also.

I joined at the Animal Kingdom RFC on my last trip to WDW in August and they gave me a temporary card that I could use that day for a free appetizer or 10% off the meal. We liked RFC so much, on our last day we went to the one at Downtown Disney and I used the temporary card again. Just last week I received the actual card and the $10 certificate....now I just have to figure out where the one in Massachusetts is - and how long it will take me to get there :teeth:

We joined at a restaurant. It still took several weeks for our $10 gift certificate and our real card to get here. We were able to use our temporary card for the discount and for the "front of the line" priviledge.

As a side note, I wanted to add my two cents concerning the value of this membership. At $15 it is a bargain to start with. Subtract the $10 gift certificate and you only really paid $5 for the membership. Now, get one free appetizer and it has been paid for.

Add the "front of the line" deal and you can not go wrong.

Last night we ate at the DTD Rainforest Cafe. When we got there, the wait was (inaccurately) said to be 40 minutes for walk up. We were given a receipt that quotes us a 15 minute wait. Not bad. Well, we ended up waiting 35 minutes, but soon after we checked in, they corrected the wait time... To 1 hour 50 minutes. Getting a table in 35 minutes was GREAT!

Now, we didn't get the greatest table in the house, but it was fine with me.

Ted

Originally posted by mollyo-nh
I joined at the Animal Kingdom RFC on my last trip to WDW in August and they gave me a temporary card that I could use that day for a free appetizer or 10% off the meal. We liked RFC so much, on our last day we went to the one at Downtown Disney and I used the temporary card again. Just last week I received the actual card and the $10 certificate....now I just have to figure out where the one in Massachusetts is - and how long it will take me to get there :teeth:

It is in the Burlington Mall. :)

The other wonderful thing about this card is that it works at other Landry restaurants as well. We ate at Joe's Crab Shack one night as well and it saved us at least an hour in wait time! So that little card helped us out greatly a couple times on our last trip to Orlando. :Pinkbounc :bounce:

So what is the discount on food that you get. Is it just the $10.00 coupon? Not that the coupon isn't enough, it is. I was just checking.

Also thanks for all the replies. I think I will sign up while I am there. I am sure we won't have enough time to get anything in the mail if I do it that way.

I just thought of something else to ask! :rolleyes:

Can this be combined with using the VKLvouchers?

I am not sure about the vouchers, but we have combined the free appetizer with a 10% AP discount at the AK location.

The food discounts are you can get either a free appetizer (4 or 5 from the menu, not all of them) OR 10% off your entire check.

Ted

I ate at the RFC in downtown disney last week with my safari card and the vouchers. We used 2 vouchers to get 2 appetizer, 2 entrees, 2 souviner drinks and the volacno desert.
I showed him the vouchers when we ordered. I then pulled out the club card to show our waiter (don't remember his name) and he let us have our free appetizer (making 3 total appetizers) we also ordered 2 extra drinks and a side salad.
When the bill came he said " oh, I'm sorry you don't get a free appetizer because you used the vouchers and didn't order an extra entree". I explained him to polietly that it wasn't my fault that he had allowed us to have the free appetizer. He got a little upset with us but did have the appetizer removed from our bill. I was able to use the 10% off on the 2 extra drinks and the salad. I didn't like the fact that he became upset with us over the appetizer but we still left him a $10.00 tip.

I guess what I am trying to say is that no, you don't get the free appetizer if you use the vouchers but, you do get 10% off any extra food you order.

How much was the total for 3 Appetizers, 2 Entrees, 4(?) drinks, a side salad, and a Volcano?

I think the server may have been "upset" because he had to go to a Manager and explain what happened. The Manager had to remove the item. Regardless of whose "fault" it is, he might have gotten an ear full from the Manager.

It is important to note (not implying anything in this example) that you should calculate your tip on the FULL price, not the price minus the free appetizer or any discounts used.

Ted

But if a server gets upset with me for any reason they do not get a tip it does not mater if we at Disney or any where else. I will not line thier pocket if the don't treat me right. Now if they do I tip in accorandance with thier service.
Now i guess I accept any flames that are given.

Originally posted by Feelin' Goofy
But if a server gets upset with me for any reason they do not get a tip it does not mater if we at Disney or any where else. I will not line thier pocket if the don't treat me right. Now if they do I tip in accorandance with thier service.
Now i guess I accept any flames that are given.

I agree that tipping is in accordance with service, but please remember that using more than one discount or voucher per meal is not standard. I assume that for every person who uses the discount and vouchers in combination, there are 100 that pay full price.

The Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney does the highest volume of all RFCs. I would imagine server turnover is pretty high. Chances are the server got a bit confused with what was presented to him. Heck, he may have never done a transaction like this!

Although only littlesix knows the extent of how "upset" the server got, I don't think it would be enough to cause you to stiff them on a tip.

I would be willing to bet that many people here who have ever server at a restaurant will tell you that they were given little or no tips for very good service.

I was just reminding people that it is generally accepted that when calculating a tip, you use the full amount of the original check, not after all the various discounts and vouchers are applied.

This is NOT a tipping thread. There have been a million of these threads.

Ted

Not trying to start an argument, but more trying to clear up a question so that I know how much to tip in December. . . isn't the tip included as part of the VKL? I thought that the various vouchers automatically afforded whatever percent tip to the server based on the "real" cost of the meal and that anything extra that you leave is just that, extra.

For the few extras they bought in addition to the vouchers, wouldn't $10 be more than sufficient?

Carrie

Not an arguement at all.

I did not realize tip was included as part of the vouchers. If that is the case, I think the $10 is definitely enough. Depending on how much the vouchers give for a tip, I'd even say it was a GOOD tip.

I thought the vouchers were just like gift certificates.

Ted

Ted

Tips were brought up by some one else. When you said to stiff I would not consider it stiffing them if service is poor and in my view if a server gets upset at me for any reason he stiffed himself I would not go out of my way to upset them nor should they go out of thier way to upset me. But in answer to the tip with the voucher here is the tread for that the 2nd post is most up to date.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=435889

Originally posted by Feelin' Goofy
Ted

Tips were brought up by some one else. When you said to stiff I would not consider it stiffing them if service is poor and in my view if a server gets upset at me for any reason he stiffed himself I would not go out of my way to upset them nor should they go out of thier way to upset me. But in answer to the tip with the voucher here is the tread for that the 2nd post is most up to date.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=435889

Yes, littlesix stated that they tipped despite the fact that they got "upset". But the OP most likely did not want a tip debate. These debates ALWAYS get ugly on this board.

My comment on tip was assuming you actually wanted to tip. And I wanted to remind people of the generally accepted practice. Much like the reminder you see on many checks from restaruants around WDW.

They do that because not everyone knows the customs. I was just expanding on it.

If you want to have fun messing around with arguing about when and how much to tip, go to the CB and start a poll. Before long, I am sure you will have a nice long thread with name calling and maybe a Mod will close it.

Ted

As long as I am a member of this board I feel that I can post where I want to post. Telling me to go to anothe place is not your call and just as I do not own this board niether do you. I was open to flames but not telling me where to go. Go there your self. We can make this ugly and get the tread closed or we can allow freindly comments in which yours is not.

As a member of this board, you should know what topics should be posted in what forum. The Original Poster asked for advice, not an argument. This is not something that you have to "own" a board to follow. It is internet forum ettiquette. Why not just have one big forum for all topics? Then you can post whatever you want and never have to figure out where it should be.

It seems all you want is an argument. Debates are healthy, in the right place.

Ted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter