• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ranking the best soundproofing at the resorts

Haven't stayed at every Disney property, but in general anyplace we have ever traveled it seems to matter more how much noise the people in adjacent rooms makes vs. the quality of the construction. I honestly think some people purposely set the alarm clock to max volume as a joke when they are checking out so it disturbs as many people as possible or even startles the next room occupants when it goes off the next day. In any hotel that still has clock radio/alarm clocks, we make sure they are turned off when checking into our room. Some people on vacation don't seem to care who else is around that they might disturb by playing the TV very loudly at all hours of the day/night. Others walk down the hallway shouting to others in their party who also don't seem to care if they disturb others in their rooms. Not sure the specific choice of a Disney hotel will have any impact on those types of situations.

Honestly I live in an apartment building and people just act like this 24/7. I've been having an ongoing issue with a neighbor who I share a wall with playing excessively loud music and movies/TV shows. I just had to call security on them the other night because they were playing something super loud at 10pm. I just don't get it. I always try to be conscious of how loud my TV is and I try not to stomp on the floors in my unit or in the hallway (I'm on a second floor) and I just try to be a good neighbor in general. Some people are just inconsiderate and rude at their core.

Now this is funny...lol gotta love google...in case you missed it....

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/hotels/sound-ratings
Yikes, there are a lot of deluxe resorts with failing scores. I guess I can see older buildings like the Contemporary and Polynesian being on the list, but what's with Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge?

Also, I feel like the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness can be so varied. I was lucky when I stayed that we had quiet neighbors and it was really a lovely stay, but I've heard of people throwing parties in the cabins and in the RV spots, or people just staying out late and getting loud and rowdy around a campfire, especially if they had a few drinks.

Once you are inside with the door shut, I’ve found the tower rooms CR to be be pretty quiet. We were in garden wing too and I can’t remember exactly, but they must’ve been quiet too since I can’t remember any noise. Have found the YC to be surprisingly noisy-hallways & neighbors. Some rooms there have been quieter than others though.

Last edited:

We have stayed at every resort on property and my wife and I think the quietest rooms we have stayed at are at the Riviera. I think it is just newer construction and really solid doors, windows and sliders. We always talk about how quiet it is when we are in our room.

We stayed at the Riviera last December and heard absolutely nothing. I know the hotel was not even near capacity due to covid so I didn't know if we just didn't have people close or if it was that quiet.

As for darkest. All the master bedrooms at OKW have been dark as could be and very quiet. That's why we stay there a lot. Well, that and the Jimmy Buffet on the busses.....and the gurgling suitcase....

Loudest room we ever had was 3rd floor, Poly, Hawaii Building. I think it had a connecting door? In any event, the family next door was so loud at all hours of the day and they had zero control over their kids…jumping, running, screaming, everything. After day three we finally broke down and called the front desk. They offered to move us but we said no as we had the most perfect view, balcony, and room—aside from the heathen neighbors. We suggested that they send a CM up to stand outside their door and deal with the unruly guests if they thought necessary. To give credit to the Poly CMs, they did end up making multiple visits to their room and asking them to be quieter.

Also, that same trip seemed to have a LOT of people walking, running, laughing, yelling in the hallways as they went down to the club level super early in the morning. It’s so weird to me because we always enforced a “quiet in hotel hallways and rooms” rule with our kids from a very young age. I know people have different standards, and yet I’m always shocked when people forget basic courtesy.

With all that said, I still love the Poly!

Worst room ever; AllStarMusic. The walls there are paper-thin and the noise from the room next door--I could hear every single word this not-particularly-loud couple uttered not to mention the noises of everything they did (and I mean everything) plus their baby. Plus the corridor outside the room. This all added up to 5 sleepless nights. A white-noise machine, which I despise anyway but I would've used one, would have been zero help. Earphones were likewise useless.

I've never stayed at a Value since.

AKL used to be extremely quiet, but since they've removed the carpeting, you can now hear the footsteps of the people above you and the room-to-room sound carries more. Nevertheless, it's nothing compared to my AllStar experience.

POFQ--very quiet. But I stayed there only once.

SSR--also quiet. I've stayed there several times and never had a noise issue.

I've lived in apartment buildings all my adult life, so it's not like I'm not used to hearing people above, next door, and below me. I mention this since I'll get comments suggesting that perhaps I live in an isolated house and am not used to noise. I am.

Boardwalk Villas (studio)- AWFUL. We could hear every neighbor's convo as if we were in the same room. To make matters worse, our neighbors were rather trashy and had a VERY loud argument that was crystal clear and involved a lot of f bombs. We were moved to a regular room at Boardwalk Inn because of them. Hallway noise was moderate at the peak hallway hours
I'd start leaving notes...

Your wife is right, you spend way too much time "working late."
The way you look at your "assistant" is disgraceful, you used to look at Susan that way.
And your gambling has gotten way out of hand.
Susan he won't change, you need to get out now!

:jester:

We’ve always had noise problems in BWI and avoid staying there now. If staying in a standard room, I always ask for a quiet room with no connecting door. AoA was the loudest resort I’ve ever stayed in and won’t be back. Not cheap, but we found the quietest rooms are dedicated 2-bedrooms with no connecting doors and only one entry door in the hallway.

What part of AoA were you in? Staying there in a standard room for the first time over the holidays because we're bringing the pups. The dogs are mostly fine, but one barks if he hears other dogs or people outside and we're really worried about noise (especially since I understand those rooms have connecting doors) and the dog barking every time there's a noise (pet care was already full so they'll be staying in the room and we're going to have to leave the parks to walk them).

The worst experience we've had was probably through a connecting door at Yacht Club, they watched TV so loud we could hear it, I actually packed the space between the door with pillows - didn't really help. luckily it was only one night.

The other bad one, surprisingly, was at Grand Floridian - we've only stayed there once and I didn't expect to hear much but we had a loud family next to us and the kids basically shouted everything to each other... I'm just glad I'm usually dog tired at WDW.

We've stayed at AK, Poly, OKW, Contemporary, Caribbean Beach, Beach & Yacht, Boardwalk and Wilderness. I would have to say Poly is probably my favorite in terms of quiet.

I think all the Disney hotels are loud. They're full of kids and just high on headcount, as opposed to, say, business hotels. I have a white noise machine in my owner's locker.

I'd put Poly as the worst I've stayed in. I could hear everything next door. The leaf blowing in the morning didn't help either.

The best was Swan, but that might have been a fluke, because it just didn't seem very crowded.

I thought AoA was fine, but not great. It was much better than I expected.

I'm glad to see my grades match to Touring plans, haha.

Some may recall the modular construction used when building the Contemporary much the same as how a cruise ship is built. Having each room with its own walls should make it more soundproof. The original intent was to swap out room modules when doing renovations, but apparently settling of the foundation made that impractical.

I'd start leaving notes...

Your wife is right, you spend way too much time "working late."
The way you look at your "assistant" is disgraceful, you used to look at Susan that way.
And your gambling has gotten way out of hand.
Susan he won't change, you need to get out now!

:jester:

The husband was cursing his wife out SO badly (screaming at max volume...we're talking about a legit domestic disturbance) that I ALMOST left a note on the door telling her she should leave him.

It’s so weird to me because we always enforced a “quiet in hotel hallways and rooms” rule with our kids from a very young age. I know people have different standards, and yet I’m always shocked when people forget basic courtesy.

THIS! I know Disney is a kid place, and I have kids who are VERY exuberant (or were. They are teens now.) But even this trip, I enforced low voices/whispering in hallways and quiet in the room. I never mind when I hear rowdy kids and parents who are at least trying to make them aware of the people around them, even if they are unsuccessful.

I have the same issue with blood-curdling screams at pools. I always let my kids let loose and have fun at pools, but screaming was never allowed. I heard more ear-piercing pool screams this trip than any trip prior, and parents who seemed to not mind at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter