Rant Alert: So disappointed to see the "new" Mickey in Mickey's Mix Magic

monorailrabbit

Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!
https://wdwnt.com/2019/01/photos-vi...-magic-disneylands-new-nighttime-spectacular/

Guys, I HATE the new animation style! I just don't understand the appeal. To me, it's like Ren and Stimpy, and I just can't with it. Yes, I realize our beloved Mouse has changed many times over the years. And yes, I realize that if I don't like it I don't have to watch it, and I won't. I just needed to vent about it, because now it is everywhere. Even a lot of the birthday merch has this new style :(

With F! down and WOC looking less likely to be up, I was looking forward to having this to fill a night for our trip, and now we will skip this without question. More time for Thunder at night, I suppose, which is always wonderful.

OK, end rant. Let me have it. :duck:

Yea, not super impressed. I agree with the Ren & Stimpy comparison. Truthfully, I can handle how Mickey/Donald/Minnie/Daisy looks but I hate how ghastly/zombie/rotten that Goofy looks.

We are headed the last week of Jan/Feb and our BIGGEST goal was PTN. We were super bummed when that was taken away. Now with only this left, I am guessing we will at least check it out one night, but even the music isn't my fav. The whole "get your ears on" isn't my fav and the music isn't very dance party I feel either.

I can't imagine based on the preview to have tons of stellar reviews, but I am holding out hope for more in person reviews to get the final reaction. I was also confused why the fireworks were just going off? I couldn't tell if they were integrated or just there. I figured it would have fireworks at certain times to amplify the show? Maybe the park will add more ambiance?

I totally see what you mean. Is it the animation choice I would have made? No way. Otherwise, however, the show looks awesome to me.

As an aside, I wonder/does anyone know when they make these demo vids. If it/they isn’t/aren’t computer-generated, then it must be done late at night when the park is empty. That seems to me to be too late to display fireworks for the surrounding neighborhood. Anyone? Just curious.

I totally see what you mean. Is it the animation choice I would have made? No way. Otherwise, however, the show looks awesome to me.

As an aside, I wonder/does anyone know when they make these demo vids. If it/they isn’t/aren’t computer-generated, then it must be done late at night when the park is empty. That seems to me to be too late to display fireworks for the surrounding neighborhood. Anyone? Just curious.
The parks have been closing at 8 on weeknights, so there’s time afterward.

OP, while I don’t feel as strongly as you do, I do really dislike the new animation style and am bummed it’s what’s featured so heavily during all this celebration stuff.

Having said that, I’m on my way over, hoping my 5-year-old can hang until 9:30pm tonight so we can watch it. :rolleyes1

I am soooo disappointed. There is nothing of charm, beauty or magic in that, IMO. It's so Six Flags-ish. It's harsh and lacking the powerful sentiment that closes your day and makes you feel emotionally connected to a special, heartwarming moment with your family. Ugh! I really hope some of the other night time shows are back for our first and maybe only visit ever to Disneyland!

https://wdwnt.com/2019/01/photos-vi...-magic-disneylands-new-nighttime-spectacular/

Guys, I HATE the new animation style! I just don't understand the appeal. To me, it's like Ren and Stimpy, and I just can't with it. Yes, I realize our beloved Mouse has changed many times over the years. And yes, I realize that if I don't like it I don't have to watch it, and I won't. I just needed to vent about it, because now it is everywhere. Even a lot of the birthday merch has this new style :(

With F! down and WOC looking less likely to be up, I was looking forward to having this to fill a night for our trip, and now we will skip this without question. More time for Thunder at night, I suppose, which is always wonderful.

I totally agree. I really hate all of the new Mickey Mouse cartoons. None of their characters really look like their 'real selves,' if that makes sense. They DO look like Ren & Stimpy style characters. I think they look kind of grotesque. When that new Mickey Mouse ride opens some time at WDW, I am NOT going on it because it's all going to be done in that new Mickey animation style.

I agree with the Ren & Stimpy comparison.
I actually thought it was a bit retro
I think it is a bit of both, but beyond both it is just a matter that times change and people change. The Mickey we "know and love" is the one that was appealing to us in our time. As we get older a lot of things change in a way we don't like but appeals to others. I just hope there is enough of the Mickey I "know and love" left by the time I take my last trip to Disney so I can get my fill of that version.

While I'm not a huge fan of the animation style in a vacuum, I can appreciate what they are trying to do by giving a nod to his roots and older animation style. The comparison to Ren and Stimpy is somewhat telling in that the production methods for that show had a lot in common with the methods used from the 20s to the 40s. I have never been a fan of Ren and Stimpy, but if I squint and look sideways, I can see the aesthetic.

Anyway, I think I'll give it time and see if it grows on me. The wonderful thing is that if it turns out not working they can always go back. As long as I don't have to go back to 3D Mickey in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (thank goodness my youngest has outgrown that).

When I first saw the new "style" on youtube while my daughter was watching a while back, I thought it was a knock off. I was even worried it was one of those "bad" youtube cartoons you hear about, based on that art style and how crude their behavior is.

When we were there last week the park closed at 9. However, around 10-10:30 there were fireworks that came from Disneyland. I wondered at the time if they were testing something out while the park was closed.

Ugh, I don't think this show will be at the top of my list in February. The music is not my thing at all.

More time for night rides, which I love.

I'll be there this weekend and will probably try and catch the show tomorrow. Based on that video i'd say i'll probably try and catch the projections on it's a small world. I mainly just want to see it to see what it's like. New mickey isn't my favorite, but I don't completely dislike him. Steamboat Willie is my favorite Mickey. <3

I actually like the animation and music mix... but I don’t like how mickey/minni/Donald/ goofy loos... I saw the beginning yesterday ( I think) with just those characters and hoped it would be just one little part but having look like this the whole show as „standard“ look:guilty: i don’t like that... I hope they don’t change even more stuff to that look...

When I first saw the new "style" on youtube while my daughter was watching a while back, I thought it was a knock off. I was even worried it was one of those "bad" youtube cartoons you hear about, based on that art style and how crude their behavior is.

Me too! I stopped the vid and wouldn't let the kids watch it until I had convinced myself it was real. Not a huge fan, but I know a lot of folks really disliked 3d clubhouse Mickey too, so I guess I will get used to it!

In the video, it seemed like the music/projections/firework were all incredibly out of sync. The "Get Your Ears On" song didn't seem that catchy, either. I'm sure my kids will still like it, but not as fun for the adults, it seems, even with the Haunted Mansion section.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter