? re Nat'l - Why would same codes using EC membership be $8 more than "non-EC" resv?

CarolMN

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
Just rebooked my National reservation for a Full Size from 11/29 - 12/7. If I log in to the Emerald Club and then make the reservation to get EA service, the Total Estimate is $213.56. If I just reserve without using my Emerald Club membership (and then get counter service), the Total Estimate is $205.56.

Both times, I used an AARP contract ID and the Disney Club coupon (result was about $25 less than with DC contract ID plus DC coupon).

Emerald Aisle is worth the extra $8, but I am curious about the difference. This is the first time I've noticed that the same codes give different rates. Anyone else noticed this?

Why is the Emerald Aisle worth extra? If you have reserved a Full Size you can select any car from the Full Size aisle which is only a few steps further across - all other terms and conditions are the same.

My understanding is that if the reservation has Counter Service rather than EA or EC service, I have to stand in line at the counter. It's worth a little extra for me to be able to bypass the lines at the counter.

I mistakenly assumed that we were talking about Orlando International where EC service is available. Of course at smaller airports such as Orange County (SNA) for Disneyland where the choice is Emerald Aisle or counter then of course EA is preferable.

At larger airports such as Orlando (MCO) and Los Angeles (LAX) I only reserve a Compact (there are only two of us) so we routinely use the Emerald Choice service and avoid the counter.

Sorry for the incorrect assumption!
Julian

rcomputer - Are you saying that someone who makes a counter service reservation can simply use the Aisle service on a last minute whim if they are EC members?

If so, I am very dissappointed. That does not seem fair. We originally thought it would be fun to spluge and rent a convertible, but they only guarantee that model via counter service. The rep I spoke with at National (last night) stated that you need to make an Aisle service mid-sized reservation, then if you choose something better, that is OK, but I understood that the reservation must specify Aisle vs. Counter. I believe I specifically asked, "If I reserve the convertible and the counter is busy, can I just go to the Aisle and get something else?" and was told no.

If your experience is otherwise, I will call back and argue the point. I hate being the only one following the rules when they vary by who explains them!!! ;)

Thanks for the info!

National offer counter service to anyone and for Emerald Club members they also offer Emerald Aisle at many locations and Emerald Choice at a few locations.

Emerald Aisle (EA) requires that you reserve an Intermediate or larger and then select any car from the EA without visiting the counter (just checkout)

Emerald Choice (EC) works with any reservation category - even Economy - you select any car from the aisle of the size you reserved and drive to the exit to checkout as with EA.

I can no longer find the (small) list of EC sites on the National website. To find out if EC is available at the rental location you are interested in just do a location search and it will show if EA and/or EC are available.

Julian

Carol--Is it possible you elected some option that is added to your rental when you use EC? Most of the waivers cost more than $1/day but look at the breakout and see if you're being charged for an (optional) extra when you use your profile with EC.

Originally posted by Lewisc
Carol--Is it possible you elected some option that is added to your rental when you use EC? Most of the waivers cost more than $1/day but look at the breakout and see if you're being charged for an (optional) extra when you use your profile with EC.

Nope. Both reservations were exactly the same (AARP contract ID and DC coupon for free weekend day). No extras listed at all.

Julian - Your original assumption was correct. My reservation is for the MCO airport location. Are you saying that even if my reservation says counter service (I wasn't given the option of Emerald Choice when making the reservation even though I know MCO has it), I can still use the Emerald Choice service (I am an Emerald Club member) for the size of car I reserved and bypass the counter? If so, that is something I didn't know. Sorry for the awkward sentence construction. :o :o

Carol--Did you try e-mailing National and asking? About 2 years ago they had a major problem with their reservation system. I spoke to a computer support person, they were giving the same reservation number to more than one person and were granting illegal discounts.
May just be a computer error.

For my trip the end of October it's still cheaper for me to use EA than not. EA was $224 (although I have $205 booked months ago) and then I did it as a non-member and it was $232.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter