READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be going in early April, so hopefully things are a little bit better by then. A quick question: would it be more efficient to drive (and perhaps do the preferred parking), or go with a Lyft and/or Minnie Van? Just wondering if the drop-off lines for the ride-sharing apps have been long vis-a-vis going in with one's own car. We are staying at the FW Cabins, so easy to just hop on the car outside our Cabin. Thanks!
We prescheduled a Lyft for 6:40 AM at the GF, got there by 7:00 AM, no wait at all for rideshare to drop us off, 2 people in front of us for bag check, took maybe 10 min to get in (they opened the gate just about as we got into line past security). We did have a vehicle, but we didn't want ot have to mess with driving and didn't want to give up our good parking spot at the GF haha!

I will say I scheduled the Lyft for 6:40 because when I put in 6:45 the app said that meant they would arrive between 6:40 and 6:55, and I didn't want it to be almost 7, so I moved it up 5 min. In reality our driver showed up at 6:30, and had he not been a nice guy we might have had a minor issue since we weren't ready (our babysitter was late). It was a tad stressful, because almost as soon as i got notification that the driver was there i started getting automatic texts that he would be leaving soon and we would be charged, even though it had said we had until 6:45 before he left. We have used Lyfts a handful of times while in Orlando, and while none of the drivers have been actually bad they were all just...odd...this was the first one that was actually personable and friendly. Based on our 5 rides I would never take a lyft alone as a female, or with my young kids. Just my choice, not meaning to upset anyone, and I guess maybe I would if I were really in need of a ride, but my choice would be Minnie Van or just use Disney's regular transportation if that were an option in the circumstances.

I keep hearing about people getting MDE on older phones some even talking about getting it on Iphone 5. I have an Iphone 5c and when I try to download MDE on my phone it stops me based on not having a high enough iOS.

Is there a work around or something I can do to get it on my Iphone 5c? I would like to have more than one phone going for BGs if possible.

Finally made it home after a long, exhausting, but fun weekend at WDW! I was pretty nervous since prior to the trip, regular boarding groups were getting filled up in 30-45 seconds, so I figured President's Day weekend would tighten the window even more. Because of that, I wanted to maximize my chances of riding so I decided to get the Park Hopper add on, rope drop Hollywood Studios 3 days in a row, and not make any dining or other reservations/appointments. I was absolutely shocked to find out each morning that I had gotten the first boarding group of the day (BG5 on Sat 2/15, BG9 on Sun 2/16, and BG12 on Mon 2/17). I'm not here to brag - I just want to share my experiences and some thoughts in the hopes that it will help someone! At the end of the day, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for being successful - it sounds like people have been successful with wifi or with data, with android or with iPhones, and with refreshing vs. force closing. However, I was able to consistently get the first BG of the day during a busy holiday weekend, so maybe there's something I'm doing right that can help? 🤷‍♂️

First some general info:
-I was a solo traveler with no one else on my friends & family list
-My phone is a Pixel 3 and I use GoogleFi as my carrier

Steps I followed each morning:
1. I lined up at the tapstiles between 6:40AM and 6:48AM each day, staying to the far right next to the green fence because I wanted to RD SDD.
2. Each day, as soon as the tapstiles opened at 7AM, and I scanned in (no fingerprints), I walked briskly and lightly jogged to Toy Story Land and was in the pre-filled queue for SDD by 7:10AM.
3. When it was almost 8AM, I turned off wifi, and turned on data
4. I force closed the app
5. I opened the app 1 minute before park open and didn't touch any buttons
6. I had my clock app open and 5 seconds to 8AM, I switched to the Disney app
7. After I saw my phone clock hit 8AM, I hit the RotR picture on the home screen (not necessarily the "Find out more" button, any part of the picture is clickable
8. I waited 1 second to see if "Join Boarding Group" turned red. If it turned red, I immediately clicked that, and then continued with the process
9. If it didn't turn red, I hit "My Status" and clicked "Join Boarding Group" from that page.
10. If that is also greyed out, my plan was to force close and restart the app

I took a video of my 2nd attempt, in case anyone wants to see these steps live. As you can see, my button never turned red, so I went to My Status instead:

A few thoughts on what I think helped:
1. I think what helped the most was following this thread and doing several practice runs at home, as well as having a plan for what you're going to do. I knew that if my button was still grey after 1 second, I was going to hit "My Status". If that button was still grey after 1 second, I was going to force close and retry. Every second you spend reading the instructions, or deciding what to do next is another 5 boarding groups you're getting passed by.
2. Second most helpful thing I think was being a solo traveler. A lot of people seem to have trouble with their Friends & Family lists showing up correctly or waste several seconds scrolling to select only the members in their party. Unfortunately most people can't do much about being in a larger party, but there are a lot of great tips in this thread, including removing everyone from your list who isn't going, renaming your party members so they show up on top, or getting anyone you can a BG, and adding everyone else through GET
3. Next most helpful thing I believe was being on data, followed by force closing the app, and not pressing any buttons until 8AM. I know there are a lot of reports of people doing the opposite and being successful, but this personally worked for me. And for what it's worth, I was standing next to a family who had tried 2 times unsuccessfully, and they tried this method on Day 3 and finally got BG24.
4. Finally, I was lined up in Toy Story Land each day, which had a low crowd density due to the pre-filled queue but I don't think that matters too much

Finally, I just wanted to provide a trip report for my experiences. This probably will not help anyone strategy wise, so this is just for fun :)
Saturday, February 15th:
6:39AM: Get into line for tapstiles, staying to the far right
7:01AM: Gates open and line moves forward, I walk quickly to SDD
7:10AM: In line for SDD
7:50AM: I turned to the gentleman behind me, Mike, and asked him if he was here for Rise of the Resistance. He said yes, and that his son was a Cast Member so he wasn't able to join him. I told him I was super nervous since this was my first time, and he told me that he had ridden the ride before and it was excellent.
8:00AM: I got BG5, and for some reason, Mike's app was not registering that he was in the park. Knowing that people in this thread have been successful getting family members added to their BG, I offered to do that for Mike
8:15AM: Waited about 15 minutes in a constantly moving line before boarding SDD in the back row. What a fun ride! Definitely has some thrilling moments in the back row
8:20AM: After we got off the ride, we walked up to two different CMs with iPads and they weren't able to help us. Each time they said only the GET under the blue umbrellas could help us with Boarding Groups.
8:30AM: We decided to get in line for the Guest Experience Team right outside Rise, and it was a pretty long line, but I didn't mind. I was definitely getting on Rise today, and I had gotten to ride Slinky! Star Tours also went down that morning, so my 8AM FP got converted to an anytime experience FP, and I still had a 9AM ToT FP to look forward to. I was having an amazing morning, so I didn't mind helping my new friend out!
8:58AM: We finally talk to GET. Even though we look completely different and aren't linked on our F&F list, I simply show her my screenshot of BG5, and she gives Mike BG18. She wasn't able to give him a BG that was already called, so that's why he got 18, since 5-17 had been called.
9:01AM: By the time we finished talking to GET and walked 50 feet to the entrance of Rise, BG18 was called! We entered the queue for RoTR and I couldn't believe it was happening!
9:31AM: After about 30 minutes in a pretty constantly moving line, we got to the beginning of the experience. I just felt nervous the entire time, because I knew at any time the ride could break down and we would be evacuated.
9:57AM: We exit RotR with all effects working, and I say farewell to Mike as he goes to meet his son.

Sunday, February 16th:
6:43AM: Get into line for tapstiles, staying to the far right. While in line, a mother behind me is telling her son that he needs to be patient because they have a 1 hour and 15 minute wait before the park opens. I tell her that not only will the tapstiles open at 7AM, but since she's on the far right, she's in the best line of the day! Two people next to me Elizabeth and Brenna start striking up a conversation with me, asking if I knew the "Stay right" strategy from watching a recent TimTracker video. I said I heard about it from a DisUnplugged forum but that I loved TimTracker. Elizabeth said she listened to DisUnplugged and actually met Pete Werner before! Obviously from then, we had a lot of mutual interests to continue talking about!
7:00AM: Gates open and line moves forward. Elizabeth, Brenna, and I are crazy and start lightly jogging to Slinky Dog Dash. Along the way, we hear a girl tell her family, "Why are we walking!?!?!?"
7:10AM: Line up for SDD in the pre-filled queue across from Woody's lunchbox. Turns out Elizabeth has done RotR before, but Brenna has not.
8:00AM: I get BG9 and Elizabeth/Brenna get BG16. We decide to ride together since our BGs are so close!
8:15AM: We're on board our slinky in 15 minutes, and again request the back row
8:55AM: Arrive in Galaxy's Edge but Rise is down
8:58AM: We decide to grab a bite at Ronto Roasters and it seems like EVERYONE waiting for their Boarding Groups has the same idea. I place a mobile order, and apparently they weren't alerting people when their orders were ready. I had to wait in a 20 minute line and show them my order number to get my food.
9:49AM: We head to RotR since the BGs went up by 2, but it's down again
11:03AM: It looks like the BG numbers are going up again so we get in line for Rise. The line is backed up and is moving slowly.
11:45AM: We end up getting stopped for 20 minutes in one spot when water bottles start coming around. No chips or chewie in sight!
12:01PM: Line starts moving pretty quickly! They're not calling new BGs but the line is moving so we're happy
12:47PM: After 1 hour and 45 minutes in line, we begin the experience!
12:57PM: Halfway through the experience we're told we are going to be evacuated and given same day return FPs :( The CMs break character to give the announcement and apologize. We're in the middle of the experience so it was cool to see a secret door that led to a very plain hallway that led outside.
1:03PM: Received FP for Rise of the Resistance and I park hop to Animal Kingdom because I managed to refresh and find a Flight of Passage FP. Elizabeth and Brenna decide to wait for me to come back before riding. We've been through so much today that it wouldn't feel complete until we finished the ride together!
3:37PM: We meet back up at the entrance to Rise and it's back up! We get to use the FP line, and we wait 7 minutes before starting the experience.
4:13PM: We finally finish the ride with all effects working and we say our farewells. It feels like we've been through a lot together and we finally accomplished something big!

Monday, February 17th:
6:48AM: Arrive in line, behind the planter
7:00AM: Turnstiles open
7:10AM: In line for SDD, and meet Michelle, the mother of a family who has tried 2 times already to get a BG and hasn't been able to ride. She's super fustrated and has talked to GET. They told her they couldn't do anything but if she was unsuccessful a third time, they would see what they could do. I feel so bad for her, and offer to wait in line for GET with her, if she still get's a high number. Maybe they can add her to my group like I was able to add Mike! In the mean time, her husband and two kids join her, and I tell them they should use data instead of wifi and trim their F&F list cause that's probably really slowing them down.
8:01AM: Michelle gets BG29 and their kids are SO happy and are jumping up and down. They say I'm now an honorary member of their family, and tell all the CMs they have 5 people in their party when they ask as we go through the SDD line. She asks for a picture of me with her family, and we ride SDD together before parting ways.
9:34AM: Today there was a long morning downtime, so the ride didn't open until very late. They let me go through the FP entrance because I guess I was one of the first people there and I walk right into the beginning of the experience.
9:59AM: Rise breaks down and we're stuck for about 30 minutes.
10:28AM: We're finally evacuated off Rise we're given a recovery FP+ to come back later. I park hop to Animal Kingdom where I get get lunch with Elizabeth and Brenna, and we watch the Up Bird show, and did Expedition Everest and Kilimanjaro Safaris together! It was fun hanging out with other Disney fans. It was also great that I was pretty flexible so I could just park hop and hang out with them for a bit!.
6:09PM: Finally, I returned to HS and got a full ride on RotR with all effects working before heading to the airport. What a great way to end the trip!
Thanks for the details! But in the video, you didn’t “force close” the app because when you called it back up it was already loaded. Aren’t you saying you just pushed it into the background? That’s a big difference. Nice job, btw!!

What time are people getting to HS if they aren’t concerned with getting in line for SDD standby? We are only worried about the boarding pass. I was thinking of calling an Uber at 6:45, getting in the car around 7, and getting to HS about 7:15. This is for an 8 am opening. Thoughts? Thanks!
This would be totally fine. You could easily rope drop toy story or rnrc at that time.

Thanks for the details! But in the video, you didn’t “force close” the app because when you called it back up it was already loaded. Aren’t you saying you just pushed it into the background? That’s a big difference. Nice job, btw!!

I forced quit the app before I started the video :) . That's why at 11 seconds, you see the firework mickey startup screen load. If it wasn't force closed, then you wouldn't see that.

I got low number BGs for 5 consecutive days last week
You're A Monster GIF - Shrek Gingerbread Monster GIFs

Actually, I applaud you and I am jealous!

As far as a closer 8am drop off...
We drove in this morning with my brother and his family-7 of us total. The parking booths were backed up at 7:25 when we arrived, so an extra 10min wait there. At the last minute we ditched all backpacks/bags to go through no bag line which still got slightly held up. Stayed to the right and tapped through with fingerprint by 7:50. No way we would have made it through in time with bags. Went to TSL backed up all the way to voyage of the little mermaid. Got BG 67 which is pretty good considering my friends and family list is crazy! We walked straight to TSM and waited about 25min. Everything else was over 60min when we got off at 8:45 or so. If you don’t have early fastpasses, there’s not much else to ride/see without crazy waits besides Muppet Vision. Just our experience from this morning!

I keep hearing about people getting MDE on older phones some even talking about getting it on Iphone 5. I have an Iphone 5c and when I try to download MDE on my phone it stops me based on not having a high enough iOS.

Is there a work around or something I can do to get it on my Iphone 5c? I would like to have more than one phone going for BGs if possible.

I have an iPhone 5s and was able to update to IOS 12.4.4, but I think 5s was the only 5-or-lower model that could update that far (not 5c or 5). I'm afraid I'm not tech-smart; don't know a workaround.
😥

Any specific spots for the wifi that work better than others? You are right, it seems like 50/50 on people suggesting wifi vs mobile data, but I feel like I can find a good spot via speed test using park's WIFI, before the fun begins. Thanks.
I honestly think it’s hit or miss , depending on many factors.

but to me, Anaheim Produce has seating, covered areas, and my Verizon was full LTE.

What time are people getting to HS if they aren’t concerned with getting in line for SDD standby? We are only worried about the boarding pass. I was thinking of calling an Uber at 6:45, getting in the car around 7, and getting to HS about 7:15. This is for an 8 am opening. Thoughts? Thanks!
If the Uber is reliable, 45mins should be enough time for security and tap in.
We arrived in our car at 7:15 today and used preferred parking (which is pretty close to where the Uber will drop you), went through the no bag security and tap in, which got us into the park with just under 10mins to spare at 7:50. Didn’t follow the keep right guidance, just found a smallish fast moving queue with less strollers for security with no bag check in the centre of the scrum. It did feel like it was too close for comfort thou. I’n hindsight i’d have wanted to have arrived at least 15mins earlier to take the stress out. I think we got lucky today with the queues we chose for security and tap in. Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses! Has anyone tried a Minnie Van with an 8 am park opening? I see Minnie van service begins at 6:30....wasn’t sure if there’d be a delay if we called a Minnie Van right at 6:30, due to everyone else with the same idea : )

Thanks for all the responses! Has anyone tried a Minnie Van with an 8 am park opening? I see Minnie van service begins at 6:30....wasn’t sure if there’d be a delay if we called a Minnie Van right at 6:30, due to everyone else with the same idea : )
I thought about trying, but we didn't want to use driving as our backup if we didn't get one so we prescheduled the Lyft instead. I wish you could preschedule Minnie Vans - although be careful what you wish for because then maybe they would be impossible to get without doing that - so never mind.

With the less BGs I've started prepping my Star Wars fan kids that we may not get to ride when there later this month. I did pull out an old cell phone to get running so my oldest can help try to score a BG too using wifi. I'll take 3 people trying over 2 people. lol. Appreciate this thread even if it's just a lot of repeat information. Knowing that people are still getting BGs from clock watching and clicking in the app the same as always does give me some degree of peace and hope.
Definitely a good strategy! The more the better :).
My DD26's old iPhone SE was the one that managed BG16. I'd taught her the week before. She even beat me when practicing from home. DD13 was the one that got us BG 46 on DH's circa 2016 or 2017ish Galaxy phone.
I think I might have gotten a BG with my cheap but new Verizon phone (purchased last summer) but me, who practiced a lot beforehand, was definitely not as quick as my kids :)

We'll be there on 3/8, and, having followed this thread since January, I was feeling pretty good about things. With the events of this weekend, I worry about the early Spring Break crowds. We are 3 college seniors, and I am the only one who has visited before.

The other two are not morning people at all. When we first booked our tickets back in December, I remember telling my friend that we may need to get to the parks at 7 or earlier, and she said no way. Luckily for me, she recently became a HUGE Star Wars fan (thank you podcasts), so she's letting me have one early day for ROTR. 😂

Fingers crossed that we get a chance to ride since we are doing a 5-day trip with only 1 HS day (no budget for park-hopper on internship $).

I have an IPhone SE and it works great on it.

What seems like better approach, given the anecdotal experiences?

1. Find Out More -> Join Boarding Group -> If grayed out still -> My Status - Keep refreshing here only
2. Staying on 'My Status - Boarding Status' screen from the get go and keep refreshing (start few seconds before the clock turns to opening hour)

Thanks!
I'm a bit late today, but I'll put in my 2 cents. If I have to go to My Status to join and the button is not active, I'll refresh once and if it doesn't go active right away, I almost never get it active. So, to me, I think it's better to refresh once and if nothing, exit the app and restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter