Ready, Set, Let the Games Begin! - Link to new PTR/TR!

I've only been to Hollywood once before and I remember our tour guide pointing out Pinks

If I had known there was a veggie dog I would have forced him to stop the tour bus!

Hmmm.....need to work out how to feed a pesky vegetarian!

:rotfl2:

I just loved this - so funny.

My dearest Elvis Costello Alison :flower3:,

Your TRs and PTRs make me feel like I'm back in university and I'm totally behind and procrastinating. One day I will feel like I'm not always catching up. One day.

You are simply trip central. :thumbsup2

I'm so jealous that you're going to be with Ms. Bobbi!!!

Okay, going to catch up. :laundy:

Welcome to another
This might be a good night to visit Jelly Rolls after F!

Nice! I went for the first time this year. :confused3 No clue, considering I love the BW area, why except that I'm always on a very strict budget. I JUST LOVED IT! :cheer2:

Have fun! :goodvibes

aw shucks, :lovestruc :blush:

Crap! Missed your birthday. I'm going to PM you my name so that I can be on FB with you - if you want that :rotfl2: - so that I will never miss it again!

Hope it was wonderful Alison. :goodvibes

So if you've read the first post you know one of the events we are planning during our stay is a potluck cookout on Saturday October 5th. We have a good deal of the menu nailed down, but I haven't posted it yet since we may have a few more additions and haven't quite figured out all the details.

]

OMG, killing me! How I wish I was Samantha Stevens and could wiggle my nose. HOLY YUM for sure - oh and your company is nice, too! :rotfl2::lmao:

Woohoo for turkey dogs! I'm in!

The vegan dog could be soy like a nice burger is...

Are you guys going to go to Hollywood when you come out here? :confused3

I've only been to Hollywood once before and I remember our tour guide pointing out Pinks

If I had known there was a veggie dog I would have forced him to stop the tour bus!

I just loved this - so funny.

My dearest Elvis Costello Alison :flower3:,

Your TRs and PTRs make me feel like I'm back in university and I'm totally behind and procrastinating. One day I will feel like I'm not always catching up. One day.

You are simply trip central. :thumbsup2

I'm so jealous that you're going to be with Ms. Bobbi!!!

Okay, going to catch up. :laundy:

Finally I am trip central. After years and years of canceling trips, I'm so glad to finally be taking them again!

Nice! I went for the first time this year. :confused3 No clue, considering I love the BW area, why except that I'm always on a very strict budget. I JUST LOVED IT! :cheer2:

Have fun! :goodvibes

Crap! Missed your birthday. I'm going to PM you my name so that I can be on FB with you - if you want that :rotfl2: - so that I will never miss it again!

Hope it was wonderful Alison. :goodvibes

OMG, killing me! How I wish I was Samantha Stevens and could wiggle my nose. HOLY YUM for sure - oh and your company is nice, too! :rotfl2::lmao:

We used to always go to Jelly Rolls, now we haven't been in forever.

Sent the friend request! :thumbsup2

I had to think there long and hard....Samantha Stevens :scratchin :flower3:

I'm glad you made it on board Lisa!

Ooh I hope you like it there. We have enjoyed it the last 2 times and will probably book it again in December.
The cookout menu looks good.
I loved Pinks when I lived out there.

Ooh I hope you like it there. We have enjoyed it the last 2 times and will probably book it again in December.
The cookout menu looks good.
I loved Pinks when I lived out there.

When did you live out here? What area did you live in?

So this isn't an update for the trip that this report is about, but if you notice in my signature, the next ticker is for the D23 Expo. I'll be doing a full blown Trip Report for that trip, but I won't start that until about the week beforehand. Until then when they leak small tidbits of information, I'll talk about it here.

Now PIO, I know that this is yet another event that you will see my pictures and tell me that as nice as the pictures are, you would really like to hear the event! :lmao: However, for those who will be there, this should prove to be one heck of an amazing performance. Separately each of these guys have been amazing. With them together, there will not be a dry eye in the house!

For one night only, two of the world’s most celebrated songwriters and composers will take to the stage for “Richard M. Sherman and Alan Menken: The Disney Songbook.” The concert will take place at the D23 Expo 2013 at the Anaheim Convention Center in the D23 Expo Arena on Saturday, August 10.

Together Sherman and Menken have won a combined 10 Academy Awards for their work with Disney, and have composed music and songs for more than three dozen Disney feature films, over two dozen Disney Park attractions, and half a dozen Disney musicals on Broadway.

“I can’t express how excited I am that my esteemed friend Alan Menken and I will be sharing the same bill for the very first time,” said Sherman. “Alan is an incredible talent, and I know we’re both thrilled to be performing for Disney’s most ardent fans—they’re the best and I can’t wait to be a part of what promises to be a very special night for all of us.”

“Richard Sherman and I share so many things; our cherished association with The Walt Disney Company, the blessing of having the opportunity to share our musical talents with “children of all ages” and a genuine mutual admiration—but one thing we’ve never gotten to share is a concert stage,” said Menken. “This summer at the D23 Expo 2013, we will do just that. And I can’t think of anyone I’d prefer to share that stage with. Richard, along with his brother Robert, wrote songs that filled my formative years with joy and fantasy. And, all these years later, I can say with complete honesty that there is no one I’ve met in our business who is more warm and generous than my friend and fellow songwriter, Richard Sherman.

Admission to the concert will be on a first-come, first-served basis and is included in the price of a ticket to the D23 Expo. In addition to the 4,000-seat D23 Expo Arena, the concert will be simulcast into a 2,000-seat overflow theater inside the Convention Center.

OMG that is so awesome the Disney Expo and the opportunities you all have out there I thought about D23 membership for a long time but practically nothing is on the east coast for it...you are so fortunate I am green eyed jealous

Heard about Pinks for much of my life DD was stationed in CA many years ago and loved going there looking at the first picture with Fran & Jim the young brunette to his right she looks like someone famous can't place from where though

Wow, that's going to be one hell of a concert and experience. :thumbsup2 I'll be in for that report. I love the D23 reports.

Now PIO, I know that this is yet another event that you will see my pictures and tell me that as nice as the pictures are, you would really like to hear the event! :lmao: However, for those who will be there, this should prove to be one heck of an amazing performance. Separately each of these guys have been amazing. With them together, there will not be a dry eye in the house!

For one night only, two of the world’s most celebrated songwriters and composers will take to the stage for “Richard M. Sherman and Alan Menken: The Disney Songbook.” The concert will take place at the D23 Expo 2013 at the Anaheim Convention Center in the D23 Expo Arena on Saturday, August 10.

Together Sherman and Menken have won a combined 10 Academy Awards for their work with Disney, and have composed music and songs for more than three dozen Disney feature films, over two dozen Disney Park attractions, and half a dozen Disney musicals on Broadway.

Oh...My.....God....!

I officially hate you.

OMG that is so awesome the Disney Expo and the opportunities you all have out there I thought about D23 membership for a long time but practically nothing is on the east coast for it...you are so fortunate I am green eyed jealous

Heard about Pinks for much of my life DD was stationed in CA many years ago and loved going there looking at the first picture with Fran & Jim the young brunette to his right she looks like someone famous can't place from where though

The Expo is such an amazing event, I'm glad that I have been able to go to all of them. I don't even know who famous people are, so I've stopped looking for them!

That concert sounds amazing!

Jill in CO

I'm sure it will be! :goodvibes

Wow, that's going to be one hell of a concert and experience. :thumbsup2 I'll be in for that report. I love the D23 reports.

I'll be sure to post a link here when I start the report. More info is starting to come out. I can't wait until they release the schedule.

Oh...My.....God....!

I officially hate you.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

So I’ve shown you two of my contributions to the pot luck meal, the Summer Salad and the Queso Dip. The last thing that I plan to make for the meal is a couple tri tip roasts. There have been all kinds of discussions about me throwing those in my suitcase, what kind of body parts the TSA will think they are and the like, but I’m sure my tri tips will arrive in plenty good shape.

The problem will be cooking them. Normally at home I use a gas grill for many of my grilling projects. When I cook a tri tip, I sear it on the hot part of the grill for five minutes per side, then I move it to the upper rack, close the top and let it heat for about 15-20 minutes. This is my problem. I have never cooked a tri tip on an open charcoal grill like they have at the Beach Club.

So I have purchased quite a few extras to practice on. After tonight I think we are going to get a few more since they are on sale now for $2.99/lb. Everything started off well, the coals heated up very quickly.

Soon they were toasty and hot.

My meat was seasoned and ready to go.

It was nice and cooked on the first side.

I turned it over to the other side (the fatty side) and set the timer for 5 minutes. I went into the kitchen to tend to something and all of a sudden I hear sounds of, well, I’m not sure what sound I heard, but I knew it wasn’t good. Lesson #1, don’t put the fatty side of the Tri Tip over the hot coals. As the fat melts, it drips into the coals and causes them to flare up causing the outside of the meat to burn. Perhaps this is what I need the spray bottle for.

So then I moved on to the next phase. I moved the roast off the hot part of the grill and tented it with aluminum foil.

After about 20 minutes, I kept checking the internal temperature to see if it was done. Had I been able to read this thermometer properly (as I look at the picture in hindsight) I would have kept the meat on the grill a little longer.

Once removing the meat, cover in foil and let rest.

Here is the cooked piece of meat.

And the meat once carved

As you can see, it was still a bit rare. However, I don’t mind rare meat. I gave Fran the ends which were a little bit more cooked, and our dinner guests weren’t picky at all! :rotfl: Even the shy new cat, Nala, who spends 99% of her time hiding on a chair in the dining room came out looking for handouts. Fran spent at least 10 minutes chopping before she got to have her dinner.

Here is my dinner.

It was good tasting, just not cooked quite enough. I think the next time I do it, I will try like I do when I cook my whole chicken on the grill. I bank the coals around an aluminum foil tray and place the meat over the tray. That way the drippings from the roast won’t catch fire and scorch the roast. At least I can use the leftovers to make French Dip sandwiches and the rare part can cook a little more in the Au Jus.

Hope I have better luck next time!

Great first pass!!

It is a little too red for me but I guess we can always cook some of the slices a little longer.

Great first pass!!

It is a little too red for me but I guess we can always cook some of the slices a little longer.

Did you read the text??? :rotfl2:

I said that it was too rare and I'm going to have to figure out how to cook it so that the outsides don't get too burnt and the inside gets done! :rotfl:

Did you read the text??? :rotfl2:

I said that it was too rare and I'm going to have to figure out how to cook it so that the outsides don't get too burnt and the inside gets done! :rotfl:

I did. But I know that you like it rarer than I eat it; so there will be a point where you'll want to pull it out so that you get your meat the right way. I'll probably still want to put slices back on the grill and keep it going for a bit longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter