Reality Check Please :)

Lothlórien

Living the Mouse Dream
My daughter is starting college this fall. Her goal is to go to school for a degree in mechanical engineering. She wants to do the extended college program next year and after she graduates, her goal is to work for Disney as a ride/attraction/queue designer.

As I understand it from people we know that work for Disney in California, it takes a while to move up within Disney Corporation. You might have a degree in something with some high qualifications, but you will go through food service, merchandise, lower management, etc before you land a position that is not customer oriented and park-based.

In reality, how long would it take her to move into a position like that in Disney? I have noticed almost all Imagineers that work on attractions are substantially older than college graduates.

My son is a high school senior who will be starting UCF this fall with the exact same goals as your daughter, although he hasn't decided for sure yet when he wants to apply for the CP. He watches the Disney jobs site and the last one that popped up for an Imagineer required 15 years previous experience. That didn't deter him, but it did give him/me a more realistic idea on what to expect.

If you're extremely motivated/talented, there are PIs available that can propel people into high positions in shorter periods of time. But you definitely aren't going to get a job as an Imagineer straight out of college.

My son is a high school senior who will be starting UCF this fall with the exact same goals as your daughter, although he hasn't decided for sure yet when he wants to apply for the CP. He watches the Disney jobs site and the last one that popped up for an Imagineer required 15 years previous experience. That didn't deter him, but it did give him/me a more realistic idea on what to expect.

Thank you!! That is VERY helpful.

She should definitely look at doing a professional internship.

Doing the DCP will give her great insights into how the park operates, but it will also open the door for alumni opportunities - positions only available to those who have worked for Disney before.

A PI is great for the year after graduation. It's real, applicable work experience that relates to her career goals, and gives her an opportunity to network with the professional side of the business. If she is unable to transfer to a full time position following the internship (some teams this isn't an option, some it just depends on timing) then at least she has a direct connection to management when a position does open up.

Keep an eye out when PIs open up and see what kind of work they are doing, and what kind of skills/experience they are looking for. It's a great way to provide some direction in her studies as she goes through college

I'm kind of in the same scenario; currently in college, but wanting to pursue a career at WDW (specifically Imagineering)

I've always wanted to do the DCP, but I'm thinking of putting it off until the year after graduating because my college won't accept credit from the DCP, and I don't want to graduate a semester late. Assuming I get accepted to the DCP in one of the two opportunities I'll have, would my best chance to be to try to stay at WDW and get a job after my DCP program ends?

Imagineer roles tend to be very specialized, and they want to hire people who are already at the top of their game. Getting exposure to Disney's culture through CP/PI programs is a great idea, but after that I would recommend going to another company to build a portfolio and gain experience doing the actual job. Once the job function is mastered, then apply back to Disney. I hear that Imagineers are often head hunted after a person makes a name for themselves in the industry.

Good luck!!

There is a book that Disney sells at their parks about Disney Leadership. It's a good read.
They are big on hiring from within, they even require their execs to go to the parks as 'guests' - they were doing undercover boss before the TV show.

John Lassiter was a CM on Jungle Cruise in DL. He was fired as an Disney Animator too (for going around his boss).

There is a book that Disney sells at their parks about Disney Leadership. It's a good read.
They are big on hiring from within, they even require their execs to go to the parks as 'guests' - they were doing undercover boss before the TV show.

John Lassiter was a CM on Jungle Cruise in DL. He was fired as an Disney Animator too (for going around his boss).
Do you know what the book is called? It sounds interesting, I would love to read it!

I would highly recommend the DCP. As a student your better off IMHO doing it sooner in your college career. Yes it may add on a semester BUT it doesn't kill you financally since its a paid program. DD did it 2nd semester sophmore year which worked out because she was still in the dorms and didn't have to deal with a lease, A MAJOR PLUS. Now her Junior year she has an internship with Kohls as a Merch anaylist. It is a very competetive internship and at every round of interviews she was always asked about her Disney program. Her hope now is for a PI after she graduates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter