Really Really Angry

I am really angry too. As an AP holder, why would I pay additional money to book tickets as part of a package? I honestly can't believe they would do this. :mad:

Perhaps they will add passholders and people staying onsite into the packageholder deal. Something is going to have to be done. The negativity is overpowering the excitement.

I think Universal has a big problem on their hands with this package thing that needs to be straightened out immediately.
I think so too...this whole situation has blown up in their faces. Hopefully they will release more information in the next day or so.

This is really rediculous, as posted before I am in the same boat as most of you, when I called several months ago I was lead to believe in no problems, and once the announcement was made they also asked me if I had the package and once I said NO, they pretty much told me the same...you are out of luck. I would have purchased the package too, just to get in and see it. I don't see how they are going to be able to distinguish the different tickets unless they are encoded with some sort of thing that they have to scan before you can enter the HP part. I would like to think that they will have the land open so that people can go and explore...but who knows. Either way Im still disapointed and obviously i'm not alone.

Do you suppose they are even aware of it? Just in case they aren't, I just emailed them. I think it might be helpful if we expressed our dissatisfaction en masse.

This is from the Universal press release announcing the package (2/18/2010)

The May 28 travel date was set to help consumers with vacation planning and does not represent the opening date for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort. Universal has announced that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will open in Spring 2010. Specific opening information will come as soon as it is available.

I don't have a problem if the soft opening includes guests who purchased a HP Vacation Package.

Universal doesn't have a problem. People who based their vacation plans on a speculative opening date for HP land are disappointed.

It sounds like Universal has some question if HP will be fully operational by 5/28. Makes sense to first accommodate guests who purchased a HP vacation package.

I emailed, too. Not that I expect them to be able to do anything about it, but I do want them to know how disappointed we are in the handling of the situation. I would rather hear that they wouldn't be able to say whether anyone would be admitted prior to grand opening than to hear the select few who didn't even know what they were buying would be gettng in.

I don't have a problem if the soft opening includes guests who purchased a HP Vacation Package.

Universal doesn't have a problem. People who based their vacation plans on a speculative opening date for HP land are disappointed.

It sounds like Universal has some question if HP will be fully operational by 5/28. Makes sense to first accommodate guests who purchased a HP vacation package.

If people are disappointed, then Universal has a problem. Just look at the negativity on this thread. That is not a good way to start.

QUOTE]

I know they don't have a "legal" problem, but a public relations problem. I know they have never guaranteed any opening date, but they were misleading by advertising HP packages saying they were helping with vacation planning. How did that help with planning if the WWOHP wouldn't be open yet?? And that is very bad for public relations. I guess they are expecting crowds to be so huge later that they don't need to worry about a few of us disgrunted peons who used the HP package dates to "plan" our vacations. We're just the suckers.

Universal would have had a bigger problem if the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey attraction isn't running smoothly, at full capacity, on the grand opening date.

I think Universal would have an issue if the guests who specifically booked the HP package aren't given an opportunity to ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. That's why I suspect most of those guests will be part of a soft opening.

Assume Universal went with a Memorial Day weekend opening. Assume Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is running at about 50% capacity.

The HP package people, on site resorts and guests who pay for express pass will wind up riding the attraction. The rest of the guests will wind up, at best, with a 4+ hour wait. Remember the HP package people get to line up an hour before HP land opens to the public.

I wouldn't call you a "sucker". It was risky planning a vacation around an attraction prior to the announcement of an opening date. Particularly when Universal specifically told you not to assume 5/28 is the opening date.

Image the posts if Universal has to delay the opening of HP a few days after the announced opening date.

I know they don't have a "legal" problem, but a public relations problem. I know they have never guaranteed any opening date, but they were misleading by advertising HP packages saying they were helping with vacation planning. How did that help with planning if the WWOHP wouldn't be open yet?? And that is very bad for public relations. I guess they are expecting crowds to be so huge later that they don't need to worry about a few of us disgrunted peons who used the HP package dates to "plan" our vacations. We're just the suckers.

Not anymore they don't. The hotel websites have been updated to reflect that the one-hour advance opening to the park now only includes Spiderman and Hulk for reservations prior to 6/18. That's a problem.

It's also a problem when you have AP holders call and ask specifically if they're going to be given access and be told YES a few months ago when they made their res and NO (repeatedly) today. Big problem, IMHO. Huge.

Not anymore they don't. The hotel websites have been updated to reflect that the one-hour advance opening to the park now only includes Spiderman and Hulk for reservations prior to 6/18. That's a problem.

It's also a problem when you have AP holders call and ask specifically if they're going to be given access and be told YES a few months ago when they made their res and NO (repeatedly) today. Big problem, IMHO. Huge.

I agree. You can't treat your annual passholders like that. You can't tell them not to book a package because they will get the same benefits and then change your mind.

I agree. Universal may not have a legal problem but they sure have a PR problem at the moment. They are appearing underhanded, shifty, and generally not trustworthy. Not good. I sure hope they iron it all out b/c I think they are better than this mess.

The HP Vacation package is no longer available for sale for vacations starting prior to 6/18. We don't know how many famlies already booked the package for trips prior to 6/18. I don't think Universal has contacted those guests. Those guests may have a reason to be upset with Universal.

I think it's plausible to think at least some of them might be invited to be part of a soft opening.

My friend at AAA called her rep and was told there are problems with The Forbidden Journey and to not count on it before the grand opening date. I will most likely be changing my dates.

My friend at AAA called her rep and was told there are problems with The Forbidden Journey and to not count on it before the grand opening date. I will most likely be changing my dates.

That's the first I've heard of problems with the ride. Everything I have heard has said that the ride has been cycling for months and months.

The only one I'm mad at is myself for believing what I read on several boards and Universal's website, which indicated that it would be opening in the last few weeks of May. I booked HRH for May 19-24 thinking that it would at least be in soft opening and the problem started when I decided to rent DVC points May 24-26 thinking that I could rearrange my dates for HRH for May 26-31 if WWOHP opened that week. Now I'm stuck with my AKV reservation and if FJ doesn't open during the time I'm there I don't want to waste my money as this was a budget stretch to begin with.:headache: Oh well, I guess I'll wait and see what happens in the next few weeks.

I booked the HP package about a month ago for my trip which will be June 14-16.

I spoke with someone in the package department this morning to specifically ask how the June 18th Grand Opening affects our vacation. I was told that I will receive an email when I have finished paying for my vacation in full and that special email will be what I print out and bring with me to the parks (along with my admission ticket) to prove that I am a HP package holder. This email is what will get me into the WWOHP.

I was told that all shops, rides, restaurant, etc will be open to me and all other package holders during my stay. She said they can't promise there won't be technical/mechanical difficulties while we're there (as if any park can ever guarantee that!) since the FJ is brand-spankin' new, and that problems may arise which will shut rides down etc while they are still working the kinks out, BUT it will all be open to me as long as it is up and running.

She said that if I decided I would rather be there for the actual Grand Opening Ceremony on the 18th then I could try to reschedule my vacation package, but that if I didn't care about missing the ceremony she could definitely see the advantage in being there before the grand opening. That advantage: full access to WWOHP with a considerably smaller crowd.

I think basically (and this is only my opinion here) the package holders prior to the 18th will be a sort of technical dress rehearsal/trial run. With the package holders they can run through several "normal" days of operation with a controlled ideal number of guests to make sure everything is up and ready before they get mobbed by the general public with the official grand opening on the 18th.

For the sake of my own vacation, my fingers are crossed tight this lady knew exactly what she was talking about.

I most definitely understand those who are upset though. We very nearly decided not to go with the package when we booked--we weren't quite sure if the "commemorative ticket" and Three Broomsticks breakfast were worth going the package route rather than scouting out better deals on tickets/hotels etc.

But then when we were told package holders would get early access to the park ahead of other resort guests we went with the package. At that time though we thought "early access" would only equal 30 minutes of "private" package holder access (at 8am) ahead of the resort guests(at 8:30am) and then the general public at 9am.

Now it seems though (???) that we will have basically a "private" package holder access for the duration of our vacation. That is a TREMENDOUS difference! I'm very VERY happy right now, but I can say without a doubt had I gone the other non-package route I would be very, very ANGRY instead!

I agree. You can't treat your annual passholders like that. You can't tell them not to book a package because they will get the same benefits and then change your mind.

Well we aren't sure how they are treating us yet but during the Simpsons they had an event for passholders and this is even bigger so I would hope they would do the same for this.

The HP Vacation package is no longer available for sale for vacations starting prior to 6/18. We don't know how many famlies already booked the package for trips prior to 6/18. I don't think Universal has contacted those guests. Those guests may have a reason to be upset with Universal.

I think it's plausible to think at least some of them might be invited to be part of a soft opening.

Could it be that these "soft opening package dates" are already booked up? That they already have all of the people booked for those dates they want and that's why they're no longer booking those dates-- not that they'll have to contact and cancel those who were already booked, but that they just don't want to book anymore?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter