• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recent Experiences at Cafe Orleans?

We ate at Cafe Orleans last Wednesday and really liked it. I had the roasted chicken with mashed potatoes. It was flavorful and yummy. My husband and son had the steak frites and really enjoyed it. The only miss was the children’s meal my daughter got. She got the chicken with mashed potatoes and rice and she did not like it. I also have to say the children’s meal was very small and the presentation wasn’t attractive. Going forward I would probably just order her something off the adult menu.

We were there two weeks ago. My hubby love the Monte Cristo and fries and was more than happy. My daughter got the steak and fries and was very happy and she's 12. I had the gumbo and chicken. Everything was very very yummy. Service was excellent.
Thank you for this recent review!

We ate at Cafe Orleans last Wednesday and really liked it. I had the roasted chicken with mashed potatoes. It was flavorful and yummy. My husband and son had the steak frites and really enjoyed it. The only miss was the children’s meal my daughter got. She got the chicken with mashed potatoes and rice and she did not like it. I also have to say the children’s meal was very small and the presentation wasn’t attractive. Going forward I would probably just order her something off the adult menu.
Thank you for sharing! Was the food too plain for her? Sometimes the kids chicken is unseasoned and my kids are not impressed.

I have never eaten at Cafe Orleans and I’m thinking of taking my parents and kids there. Can anyone share recent reviews of the main dishes (other than the Monte Cristo, which none of us would be interested in)? It looks like the shrimp and grits is no longer on the menu, which is a little disappointing as that is what I would have likely ordered.

We ate there in July 2022, and while the food tasted pretty good, the portions were extremely small. I think we all had the chicken. We left hungry, and went and bought beignets and Mickey pretzels.

I thought about Plaza Inn, but the menu doesn’t work for us. Maybe I’ll try for Carnation. Mostly, I want to be able to sit them down at a reserved table and be served rather than ordering at a counter, carting trays, looking for a table, etc. I’ll also have my 3 and 7 year old boys with me and that can get a little nuts.

We had the salmon at Carnation Cafe in September and it was delicious. Even my youngest ate it. I can’t remember what accompanied it, but that was delicious as well.

(SIDE NOTE: Why are so many menus inside the DL park so HEAVY? River Belle, Carnation, Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans, Plaza Inn … it’s ALL comfort food: fried chicken, pot roast, mashed potatoes, Mac n cheese, brisket, etc. It would be so nice to have more lighter options.)
This is my issue with DLP food….. there’s tons of great options if you want unhealthy and heavy, but it’s slim pickings if you want to eat clean.

We had the salmon at Carnation Cafe in September and it was delicious. Even my youngest ate it. I can’t remember what accompanied it, but that was delicious as well.
If we eat here I am hoping that would be the fish option because I could buy one adult meal for my kids to split.

Thank you for sharing! Was the food too plain for her? Sometimes the kids chicken is unseasoned and my kids are not impressed.

Yes, it was very plain and just unappetizing the way it was plated. It was 3 or 4 small slices of chicken and they looked unseasoned. You could choose sides (she chose mashed potatoes and rice) and there was about a small ice cream scoop of each.

My hubby said he enjoyed this Monte Cristo over the Blue Bayou much more. He said it tasted fresh. This was our first time there, and we all loved the fries. The gumbo was very flavorful and I enjoyed the chicken.They replaced our drinks almost faster than we could drink them. The kiddo loved her steak and fries. It was a decent size without overwhelming, We sat inside. We went during the crazy first week of October. The CM's were working their booties off.

With a 12 year old, we have noticed that most of Disney's kids meal ar really made for tiny little ones and not your in between kids. We will order off the adult and sometimes share with her and each get a salad or something. It's just not worth the waste of what the present as a kids meal for anyone over 8. Flaver, size or presentation. One of the reasons we stopped going to Blue Bayou.

I would second Carnations Salmon. My daughter LOVES it. When she is really hungry she can eat it all by herself, but sometimes she shares with hubby. Their club is huge and my sister and I always share it and each get a potato soup. And don't forget their fried pickles.....mmm. Full but not too full for something sweet later.

Last edited:
Yes, it was very plain and just unappetizing the way it was plated. It was 3 or 4 small slices of chicken and they looked unseasoned. You could choose sides (she chose mashed potatoes and rice) and there was about a small ice cream scoop of each.
That is how they plate the kids at Blue Bayou. The steak. It's expensive and insulting.

We are at Cafe Orleans durning spring break (Monte Cristo’s and mint Juleps). It was delicious. I can’t speak for the other food. But the service and atmosphere was amazing. (We were inside)

That is how they plate the kids at Blue Bayou. The steak. It's expensive and insulting.
That’s a bummer. We had to cancel our BB reservation this time and it seems like we didn’t miss out (at least as far as kids meals are concerned).

Kids steak Blue Bayou, it was so tiny.

D0A8FFF2-A794-4BC4-84C1-EDA5E8EB8C13.jpeg

But if you really want to see how small a kid’s meal can be, kids hamburger at Tangaroa Terrace. It looked to be about 1 ounce of beef. 🤦‍♀️

06500E8B-6B82-4823-AADD-9C3804B75945.jpeg

We have not been recently.
But sad to see they no longer have beignets! Sure you can get them next door. But it was nice to have a table and dipping sauce.

I have never eaten at Cafe Orleans and I’m thinking of taking my parents and kids there. Can anyone share recent reviews of the main dishes (other than the Monte Cristo, which none of us would be interested in)? It looks like the shrimp and grits is no longer on the menu, which is a little disappointing as that is what I would have likely ordered.
We eat at Cafe Orleans fairly often. Service has been good and people watching from the patio is fun. Usually we share a salad and the chicken. That way we each get enough without feeling stuffed.

I thought about Plaza Inn, but the menu doesn’t work for us. Maybe I’ll try for Carnation...
We've had good experiences at Carnation since they reopened. Food is plentiful (portions are easily shareable) and the service has been very good (especially when dealing with allergies).

Wherever you dine, I hope you have a good time with your parents!

We dined at Cafe Orleans for the first time a few weeks ago and had a good experience. We were seated inside and it did feel a bit crowded, but we enjoyed our mint juleps and having a cool place to sit on a very crowded day.

My son got the cheese Monte Cristo and DH and I split the hummus plate and the risotto dish (we are vegetarian).

We all loved the hummus dish and I was very tempted to order a second plate of it. We pretty much licked the plate clean. The risotto was also really good. My son ate maybe half the Monte Cristo (which was kind of amazing since he is very picky).

I've enjoyed my meals at Blue Bayou and Riverbelle Terrace more (mainly due to more relaxed vibe/ambiance), but I would do Cafe Orleans again in the future.

We dined at Cafe Orleans for the first time a few weeks ago and had a good experience. We were seated inside and it did feel a bit crowded, but we enjoyed our mint juleps and having a cool place to sit on a very crowded day.

My son got the cheese Monte Cristo and DH and I split the hummus plate and the risotto dish (we are vegetarian).

We all loved the hummus dish and I was very tempted to order a second plate of it. We pretty much licked the plate clean. The risotto was also really good. My son ate maybe half the Monte Cristo (which was kind of amazing since he is very picky).

I've enjoyed my meals at Blue Bayou and Riverbelle Terrace more (mainly due to more relaxed vibe/ambiance), but I would do Cafe Orleans again in the future.
Thank you for this review!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter