Recent problem at Universal

Sue & Co.

<font color=009933>Born to be tagged...<br><font c
We have recently returned from two weeks in Orlando during which time we visited Universal Studios for the day. I am just posting to warn others of the problems I had at a couple of the rides and the staffs disinterest in them. On a couple of occasions I transferred from the wheelchair to the ride and was told the wheelchair would be waiting for me at the exit - it wasn;t. Once it had been moved 'just down there' which turned out to be down a slope and out of the building, on another occasion at the new mummy ride our carriage came back on the alternate track to the one we started on, needless to say the wheelchair was in the wrong place. We were given no help in getting it back and in then end had to go back through to the front of the queue, wait for a car to come in, go across it and then to the wheelchair. Luckily I can walk short distances and had DH and DS with me to offer help (as well as my cane) but for someone else this could have been complete disaster. The staff were just so unhelpful and made me feel that I was wrong in needing a wheelchair.

Sue

Thanks for the heads up.
Our last trip to Universal was many years ago and we ran into the same sorts of dis-interest. That's why we haven't been back. We were thinking about maybe going on our next trip, but we may re-think. If we have to remove DD to get in a ride car, that means lifting and carrying an 85 pound, 5 foot perrson who can't stand up on her own. We couldn't deal with a "Oh, your wheelchair is somewhere around here" moment.

It's kind of disturbing that you had prolems with the mummy ride. That is a new ride and they should have had lots of experince with people using wheelchairs on rides/queues when they designed it.

The Mummy was our worst ECV experience for our trip in September.

We entered the line right past a greeter and 3 of the party of 6 were in ECVs. This greeter didn't bat an eye or say a word. We waited in a LONG line, (over an hour) and when we got through were told there was no way to accomodate getting ECVs to the exit area. We were sent out and told we had to get back in line with regular wheelchairs!

If we had not run into a manager type as we were leaving who found us a place to park our ECVs, then backdoored, Universal would have heard all kinds of unpleasantness from us.

There seemed to be a lot fewer greeters at Universal/IOA to tell us where and if the ECVs could go through the regular line or if we had to switch to wheelchair, or go to an alternate entrance.

Carol

I went to Universal Studios 9 years ago on my wish trip. I rode King Kong, Earthquake, and ET in my electric wheelchair with no problem...

However, I will never go to Universal again because of their "wheelchair accessible" rides. The only type of wheelchairs allowed on the, very few I might add, wheelchair accessible rides are manual/push wheelchairs. Any type of electric wheelchair (not an ECV-a regular electric wheelchair, see my signature) is not allowed on their "wheelchair accessible" rides. Their version of "wheelchair accessible" is to have me magically transfer from the specially molded seat with intricate props, small features, and headrest, and ride the ride in a standard adult size, no headrest, side support, etc. courtesy park chair.

Only people that use manual chairs, like Quickies-pushing themselves, or standard park courtesy park chairs are allowed to board in their chairs.

Apparently, it's not safe to have electric wheelchairs on rides anymore. Yeah, I'm sure I would be much safer in a chair 5x to big for me with a sling seat, no side supports, headrest, etc. Evidently, someone in an electric wheelchair got injured on a ride and sued so Universal changed their policy.

Now this wouldn't upset me as much if they made it clear that "wheelchair accessible" meant "manual wheelchair accessible." The map has the little symbol so you sit through the line and then they tell you that you have to get out of your chair! Their disability guide is very short and mentions the fact that "wheelchair accessible" doesn't include electric wheelchairs in brief passing. If I hadn't researched thoroughly, I would've wasted a lot of money.

So, electric wheelchair users beware: "wheelchair accessible" means transfer from your chair to a park chair and ride in that.

I really think this information should be kept posted and made known.

Christamae

Andrew (one of the frequent DIS posters) has already been loaded onto a ride in his power wheelchair when they decided he could not ride and then they unloaded his chair.

We experienced this on our daughter's wish trip also. We don't ride many rides that our daughters cannot ride with us unless the lines are fairly short. Well it was listed like eternaldisneyfan said saying wheelchair accessible. When we got up to get on the rides they would tell us that our daughters would have to transfer. While one can transfer with our assistance the other one cannot sit in a sling type wheelchair. Most times we ended up turning around and not riding. If it was listed a little bit different and more clear it would help.

I'm not a fan of Universal and this isn't changing my mind.

I've been there once (2 days in one trip). We used a manual push chair at the time. I can transfer and at that time preferred to (the chair I had was very uncomfortable). I wanted to ride the Back to the Future ride. It said "flight simulator" in the description and I'd ridden Star Tours and Body Wars frequently and with ease at Disney. (Also Corkscrew Hill in Busch Gardens Williamsburg.) So I figured no problem.

Turns out you need to climb into a mock-up of the car used in the movie. I realized this was doable but would require a little maneuvering for me and my helper. I told the attendant I'd need a little extra time and should board first.

When time came to board, he ushered the whole group into the vehicle. Sure enough people filled up all but two seats for me and my helper. I had trouble getting my foot clear of the door in time. The attendant's "help" was to try cramming my foot in. I thought he was going to slam the door on my toes!

Needless to say, my pre-boarding experience was far more harrowing than the actual ride. I came out shaking. Then I started noticing actual trash littering the streets. It was all downhill from there.

I've never been back. Universal is just a theme park, while Disney cares. (Oddly, Busch Gardens Williamsburg and SeaWorld are staffed by an entirely different breed. They actually care about the guests.)

BroganMc said:
people filled up all but two seats for me and my helper. I had trouble getting my foot clear of the door in time. The attendant's "help" was to try cramming my foot in. I thought he was going to slam the door on my toes!
Why not you go in second to last and your helper go in last, holding the door open?

Anyone in the above mentioned situations tried going to Guest Relations, explaining the problem, and asking for two "anytime" "any ride" express passes per party member to compensate for the extra time consumed?

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

It may not matter all that much what order people go in if the person with a disability is able to walk and get in basically without assistance (other than for the CM to hold the door).
But, there are people who need their helper to go in last because that is the only way for them to get in. Plus, a lot of people need the extra manouvering room/time to get in that is not available if the whole car is filled up. Anyone who is not mobile or has limited mobility might also have limited ways they can get into the ride car. If the CM is working with them, it can work. If the CM is not concerned about what they need, it won't work.
People, (including us) have reporting going to Guest Services at Universal and expressing concern about ride boarding. The answer we got was basically, "All our rides provide what the ADA requires. We are not required to provide anything more than an accessible line." I don't know what answer people have gotten recently.

SueM in MN said:
Andrew (one of the frequent DIS posters) has already been loaded onto a ride in his power wheelchair when they decided he could not ride and then they unloaded his chair.

The ride was the earthquake ride, similar to MGM's Catastrophy Canyon, where I can ride in my own chair. I can only transfer out of my chair by sliding so cannot transfer to a manual chair that has fixed armrests. I don't know if Universal chairs have fixed armrests or not.

I have thought of going back one day in a manual borrowed from my resort hotel, with DISNEY across the back of course. (are you allowed to take resort chairs offsite?) One of the problems though, from memory, is that Universal Studios, though flat, has a lot of cobbled streets, making the going especially tough and I wouldn't want to have my wife push me around all day.

Andrew

Hi, Andrew!

I saw your post and noted your comment about the cobbled streets at Universal. How many of the streets are paved, and do you think it would be a problem for walking? I have arthritis and walk with a cane. Both my ankles are fused, making walking over uneven surfaces a bit of a challenge. I wonder if the cobblestone surface at Universal would be more of a problem than its worth for me?

mommie2angels said:
We experienced this on our daughter's wish trip also. We don't ride many rides that our daughters cannot ride with us unless the lines are fairly short. Well it was listed like eternaldisneyfan said saying wheelchair accessible. When we got up to get on the rides they would tell us that our daughters would have to transfer. While one can transfer with our assistance the other one cannot sit in a sling type wheelchair. Most times we ended up turning around and not riding. If it was listed a little bit different and more clear it would help.

Hi! Do you remember any rides in particular that worked well for your girls and that they were able to stay in their chairs? You know that my oldest wants to see spidey at IOA, but after reading this thread it sounds like the Universal parks are not as wheelchair friendly as WDW. Thanks!

vhoffman said:
Hi, Andrew!

I saw your post and noted your comment about the cobbled streets at Universal. How many of the streets are paved, and do you think it would be a problem for walking? ?

I hope I am not exaggerating the problem. I have only visited Universal Studios twice. Once was in the first week it opened (I still have, if I can ever find it again, a 'good for life' rain-check re-entry ticket, given to everyone that day because some of the rides were down). At the time I was still walking, though with difficulty. My second trip was about three years back, in my powerchair, and I only spent an hour there before finding out I couldn't ride in my powerchair & returning to Disney. I remember a couple of areas having very uneven paving (cobbles was a bit of an exaggeration). I was however given a very rough ride and remember thinking I wouldn't like to do in in a manual. My wife, who had a hip replaced a few years back, didn't like it either.

I would get a second opinion before you cross Universal off your list.

Andrew

We have just got back hence my original post - as Sue (the other one) said guest services are not interested, no-one is, their standard reply is their lines are wheelchair accessible and they fully comply with the law.

With regard to the cobbles, the area round by jaws is cobbled and very bumpy in a wheelchair.

Sue

Marie, I would say since the boys would love to see Spidey DO IT!!! Especially since you get those passes from GKTW. If you get there and they don't like it you can leave and not feel bad. I really think ya'll will enjoy it especially since you have some extra time at Disney before. I will go back over my trip report and see which rides they were able to ride. I don't remember many of them that they could stay in their chairs and ride.

OK, Now I'm worried. I am taking my 10 yr old son in Nov. He has CP. He cannot walk or talk. He has to be picked up to load on a ride (100lbs). Cobbelstone streets? Non accessible rides? What else should I be panicing about? Should I not take him there? Disney is so good for him. Do they let you go to the front of the rides? He would never make it waiting for long lines. He would cry. HELP, Please.. :rolleyes:

Donnask8pro said:
OK, Now I'm worried. I am taking my 10 yr old son in Nov. He has CP. He cannot walk or talk. He has to be picked up to load on a ride (100lbs). Cobbelstone streets? Non accessible rides? What else should I be panicing about? Should I not take him there? Disney is so good for him. Do they let you go to the front of the rides? He would never make it waiting for long lines. He would cry. HELP, Please.. :rolleyes:
That's why we haven't been back to Universal in a long time. Our experience was that since DD had a wheelchair, they did not take into account any of her other disabilities. Our last trip was a long time ago.
Some people have had different experiences than us though. I still remember some of the really good rides we did go on. DD loved ET and Back to the Future.
Here's a link to Universal's Disability page. That includes a link to download their park disability guide. They have pretty complete information (Disney could learn from them there) about their attractions and what "abilities" you need to experience each one.
In case all they will offer is accessible lines, it would be a good idea to do some research in how to minimize your wait time. There is a forum on this site; just go the forum switch menu to find it.
Depending on when you are going in Nov, you may find the lines at WDW and Universal to be non-existent. Even over the height of Spring break, knowing where to go in the Disney parks and when, you can avoid many long lines.

im so sorry to hear so many ppl have had problems at Universal studios.

i have mobility difficulties and use a scooter but can use forearm crutches to transfer to a ride.

Each time Ive been to USoF the staff have bent over backwards to help out.

On my annual pass is perm noted of my No Stairs and Alternative Entrance needs.

So each time i visit, all i do is go to quest services show them my annual pass and they give me an express pass.

at Mummy they take me the back way using the elevator and then tag the cars im in to return to same side. therefore i have access to elevator again and not other side that has stairs only way out.

Men in Black i use scooter to elevator which is at where ppl get on the ride.

(I usually am there alone so maybe this makes a difference, they see i don't have someone helping me)

just wanted to share that someone has had great experiences at USoF that has mobility difficultiles. actually ive had a few occassions where the USoF employees have been more helpful then case members have been at Disney.

I hope each of you that have had problems will visit again and receive the much needed assistance with staff smiles.

best of luck in your future Orlando visits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter