Recent Stay At BWV

DeeCee735

"How Do You Know of the Key?"
Hi everyone. I just got back from a trip to BWV that included just myself and a good friend of mine. I've taken to these "long weekend" trips with just a friend about once a year, and hope to continue in the years to come. Both of us are busy working wives/moms (what mom isn't? :earsgirl:, and we planned this trip for just the two of us at 11 months out. I am the DVC member, she has only been to WDW once 8 years ago when her kids were little and, according to her description, it was a commando trip! Running to get everything in with one in a stroller, etc. - so we had planned on getting some down time, as well as doing some park stuff - here is the report, starting with our room experience.

Had an early flight out of JFK, went very smoothly. Used a local car service for p/u at MCO, had a stop at the grocery store and headed to the BWV. Both the flight and the car service were great, the stop in the grocery store for water/coffee/beer and laundry detergent a time/money saver in the long run.

Arrived at BWV at about noon. We got three "welcome homes" before we even entered the building! So cool.... Anyway, at check in I had a very friendly CM, sorry I do not recall his name, and as he was punching everything up in the computer, he says to me "boy are you going to be happy!" I said "uh, my room is ready now?" He says "one better, not only is it ready - you got upgraded to a preferred water view!" (I had booked a one bedroom/standard view at 11 months out)! Wow, was he right - I was HAPPY! We got room 2004, not close to the lobby by any means, but that so does not bother me - especially since it's indoor hallways and that means AIR CONDITIONING! It was about 92, partly cloudy and as humid as it can get from arrival to departure. We went ahead to the room, my girl friends first time in a DVC unit, and she was blown away. Room was immaculate, looked new even. Overlooked the waterway between BW and Swan, which is what we were directly across from, right over the new "grassy" area they recently installed. Luggage was practically right behind us, same porter as last year - I am VERY bad with names, again I apologize for not remembering his name, friendly, informative, nice guy. We changed out of our jeans and into shorts and headed out to lunch at Big River Grille and Brewing Works. I had a salad, she had chicken quesidia's (sp?), we each tried a different flavored beer which we both enjoyed, all in all lunch was good, and I'd eat there again (we usually do - DH and I). Then we headed over to MGM as it was an EMH evening and we were only doing 2 park days out of the 3 1/2 days we were going to be there.

MGM - park was VERY crowded, as I expected it to be since it was a Sunday, and the day before a holiday. We got FP to R&RC and waited on line for TOT - both awesome as I'm sure most of you know. Then we headed over to ST and got right on that. We also did the GMR and Sound's Dangerous. Needless to say, we enjoyed our time at the park alot! We headed back to the BW for alittle R&R, and then went back to MGM for the late night, got great seats for Fantasmic (9:00 pm show). I got goosebumps just like a kid when Mickey started the show :blush:, which was awesome! We then attempted some of the rides, but it was SO HOT AND HUMID AND CROWDED, we opted not to wait in the very long lines, grabbed something to eat at counter service, and headed back to the hotel for a late night dip in the pool. We were happy with our decision not to wait on the long lines and enjoyed some quiet time in the pool before going to sleep.

DAY 2 - R & R day/AKL evening. We chose to hang poolside (quiet pool). Great decision, as we don't see each other often, we live far away from each other. We had some drinks from Leaping Libations, enjoyed talking like only best friends do (for hours), while relaxing by the pool or floating around in it with those floaties from Community Hall. Pool was not crowded, but we did meet and speak with a woman from NJ who was there with her husband, kids and in-laws. She was very nice, but I had to laugh when she heard we were there without the DH's and kids - her jaw literally dropped! We did some shopping at Thimbles and Threads - they had DVC windbreakers 50% off and I bought one for DH, then got ready for dinner at BOMA at AKL. I made last minute PS's and could only get 9:20 p.m., but since time doesn't matter when you're chillin, it was fine by us! We did get there about 8:15 (we took a cab from BW - $10.50 each way plus tip - alittle more than I expected but pampering was the theme of the trip - so so be it ;) My friend has never seen this resort, which is one of my favs, and it was awesome to see her response when we entered that grand lobby. I love this resort, it is a great thing to do on non park days, and I'm happy to say she loved it too. It's great to have a buddy that is interested in stopping to take in the little things like I want to do so many times but cannot with DH and kids (such as the little room off to the side of the lobby that has pictures and items from Africa, speaking to the CM's about where they are from, and checking out the architecture/furnishings, etc.) We headed out to the viewing area (last time I was here with a friend there were no animals around - that was earlier in the afternoon), and much to our surprise and delight there were ANIMALS EVERYWHERE :cheer2: Zebra's, gazille's (sp?), wildebeasts, OH MY! And so close to the fences! It was awesome. We met a CM out there and spoke to him in some length about the animals and his home of Botswana - very friendly, informative and a pleasure to speak to - his name - if my horrible memory for names serves me right is KAE BE (sp?). We asked him about the night vision glasses and he explained that they could be found on the savannah behind the pool. We did not know how to get there, so he walked us over! And there, much to our great pleasure were the beautiful, graceful giraffe's, just past the fences grazing and walking about! Bongo's abound as well! What a trip to be so close to such awesome creatures and in the middle of FLA in Disney! No one does it better IMHO. It was getting very close to our ps time, so we went in to eat, but he explained to us that if we got back to the savannah before 10:50 we could still use the night goggles (which we did not need at that time since the animals were so close). We had dinner in BOMA - absolutely delicious - everything we tried we both enjoyed. We had a great server (for the drinks - it's buffet), who gave us a couple of tips about WDW, some I knew, some were new! After dinner we went back to the savannah and got to use the night vision goggles - that was fun and we did see the giraffes off in the back of the savannah, as well as more bongo's. We browsed the gift shop, if I had more "carry on" room for the trip home, I really could have done some damage in there! By the time we left it was almost midnight. It was a great experience!

DAY 3 - EPCOT - We hoped to be able to participate in some of the F&W beer or wine tasting demo's but the times did not mesh with our lunch ps's at LeCellier, which is a must each time I go, it's such a great place to eat, and the fact that Soarin was a priority. So, we headed to the front of the park, waited on Soarin because the return time for FP was around our lunch ps's. It said 60 minute wait but we were on the ride in 35 minutes, not bad. The ride is AWESOME, we loved it and it was worth the wait. I am surprised, however, that Disney did not think to add more sensory stuff to it, such as water sprays, and scents - it would have made the ride even better - maybe in the future. We then jumped on the Land ride - it's a boat ride that takes you through some of the greenhouses. This was very interesting, and it made my friend realize that Disney is not just about commercializing and money making. We then did The Universe of Energy, and headed back to WS for an amazing lunch at LeCellier. Headed back to BW for a nap and then went back to Epcot to browse the different countries. We stayed for Illuminations, which was awesome and headed home. Stopped at the bakery, open til 11 p.m. (is this something new? I remember it closing early in the day?), picked up some muffins and carrot cake for the next morning, and changed into our bathing suits. We headed to the quiet pool, sat in the spa just next to it, and then went in the pool til about midnight - it was sooooo relaxing.

Day 4 - coming home. Always a bummer when it's time to leave. We took our time in the morning, relaxing around the room and lobby. Car service was right on time and we headed to the airport. Always a bummer trying to get back into NY, no matter what type of transportation it is. I've done it by car, plane and boat and it always stinks (for want of a more "adult" word that I won't use on these boards :teeth: ) Our flight was delayed 2 HOURS due to the intense rain at JFK. We sat on the plane til 3 (supposed to take off at 2) they let us off for a stretch at 3 because we couldn't take off til 4). We were supposed to be home by 4:30 but got in a 6:30 instead. Airline (don't know if I'm allowed to mention the company on the boards) was awesome, offering free movies and extra snacks on board. Captain did a great job of getting us home safe and sound - flight attendants were friendly, and funny. My poor girl friend had to drive 3 1/2 hours to get home once we got back to JFK - in this pouring rain with flooded streets. She made it home safe and sound as well. So even though it was a bit trying, getting home - we had an awesome (although short) trip to WDW. I can't wait to go back!

What a wonderful report! Thanks so much for taking the time to type all that out. Glad you had such a good time.

I can't wait to see the new croquet lawn - IMHO, that area is going to be one of the nicest PV - Pool/Garden areas in the whole resort with beautiful views and quiet rooms. If I ever can't get SV, I'll be requesting it. I think I will like it better than BW view!

Best wishes-

That sounds so wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing.

I had a lunch with a DCuz recently at Big River Grill and we both enjoyed it as well. I think that we definitely have to try Boma!

Bobbi :flower:

Thanks for posting. Your girl's only visit sounds wonderful!
Nice to hear you got upgraded to waterview. Next week I leave for my first girls only visit to Disney. We are also going for 4 days.

Fantastic report! Thank you so much for sharing...I can not wait to go home for the first time to the Boardwalk! Thanks for pumping me up! :) :) :)

What a great time you had! As I was reading, I could envision doing the same thing with my best friend. Maybe I can talk her into it some day. She is a workaholic and suffers much more from it since her DH passed away. I would love to get her to go down for a long weekend like that. We both own DVC, so it should be easy.

Thanks for sharing!

Great review! Thanks for posting!

btw--Soaring does have scents in it -pine, orange if not more.
:)

Great report! I am also a big fan of AKL and I agree with you about taking the time to enjoy everything from the animals to the African CMs to the architecture and furnishings and of course the delicious food at Boma. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for taking the time to share all the wonderful details.

Thanks for the great report. Only 64 more days to go until we visit our favorite place in the "world" the BWV. After some of the other less than positive threads about the BW it was great to read yours.

Thanks for such an awesome report on BWV. We bought site unseen in Feb 05 and our 1st trip is in Dec.
Just turned 50 and took seven girlfriends to Vermont for long weekend, had a great time. Hoping to talk the next 50th to WDW and getting a GV for all of us, hubbies heard about this and are hoping to tag along :rotfl2: :rotfl: NO WAY! This is not a commando weekend.
Thanks again for report
dd

Thanks for the great report! We are going to AKL for 1 night followed by 4 nights at BWV's in Nov/Dec. You did such a wonderful job describing both places - it has me SO EXCITED!!! :bounce:

Now... to arrange a "girls only" trip w/ my sis... princess:

Thank you so much for such a lovely report. I would love to see AKL. So pleased you both had a great time.

Susan

Very detailed report! Loved it! Glad you had fun. Girl trips ar the best aren't they? I take one a year with my best friend. We look forward to it every year. In fact, We leave tomorrow! :sunny:

Great trip report! Gosh I wish I could get my best friend & myself to do a girls only trip. She's not a big Disney Fan, she's a parrothead and makes the pilgrimage to Key West every year to pay her dues...

Oh well, someday maybe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter