Recent Thrifty/Dollar MCO pickup experiences

kittylady1972

Disneyholic
Just curious if anybody has rented a car from Thrifty or Dollar in the last 2 months and what is the pickup experience for Blue Chip or Dollar Express? We got so used to going to the outdoor garage counter for Thrifty/Dollar but back in May they sent us inside, into the long long long and slow terminal line with everybody else and it was HORRIBLE. I vowed never again but I'm wondering if anybody has been in the last few weeks/months and has been able to do the garage counter for either of these companies. If they are still sending you inside the terminal, giving no advantage at all to their Blue Chip or Express members, then I'm going to use Alamo which does have skip the line, even though it will cost me more.

I've used Dollar for the past 20 years....last time was Feb....next is Oct.....I hope this is still available or i'll be switching companies too!

I've used Dollar for the past 20 years....last time was Feb....next is Oct.....I hope this is still available or i'll be switching companies too!

Same here...Thrifty and Dollar have been my go to rentals for at least that long as well. I had switched to Alamo a few times and had good experiences, but Dollar/Thrifty prices have been slightly better.

I think I have a reservation at both coming up in two weeks, I'm going to see how Thrifty/Dollar goes and move to Alamo if I'm not happy. I'll report back here.

The last few Thrifty vehicle options have also been pretty bad so I'm curious to see how Alamo goes. Also I REFUSE to get into the prepaid reservation nonsense that almost all of them are pushing for their cheaper rates!

I did not use Dollar the last week of July - I used Hertz and went straight to the garage, but I did notice the sign that stated all Dollar customers had to stop inside because that’s who my husband generally uses for business travel, and he complained about it last time he was in Orlando. I pointed it out to DS & said I guess they’re still doing that. I also noticed that the Avis window outside was dark and no one was manning it.

I used Dollar last month and was in line for over an hour waiting to get to the counter. I had a pending reservation for this month which I cancelled .... Enterprise / Alamo had no line and more agents working the desk. Dollar had 15 'positions' with only TWO manned. There clearly were other folks 'in the back' but they simply swapped out with the two working positions. ZERO effort to bring more stations on line even as the queue got longer and longer ....

We've used Dollar for years and were happy with the garage check in desk. We are planning to rent a car in October but won't rent from Dollar if we have to use the terminal check in desk. My DH gets antsy if there are more than a couple people waiting at the garage so a long line at the terminal would definitely not work for us!
I may find a direct number for MCO Dollar Rental and call them to ask what the heck is going on.

I wasn’t planning on calling until tomorrow but here is the MCO Dollar Rental Car number ….

Dollar Car Rental - Orlando International Airport

1 Airport Blvd, Orlando, Florida, 32827, United States

(866) 434-2226

I just called the number provided and it was the general number not direct.
The customer service representative didn’t seem to have a clear answer in my opinion and at first said that there was an option when booking but you have to sign up for the express. I told him that my husband had Dollar Express and have used the garage option for years.
He then said. We don’t offer that anymore.
I just don’t trust that he knew what was going on and didn’t give me the option of talking to someone at the MCO desk.

I just tried calling their main Orlando airport line, 866-434-2226......twice..... clueless both times......for now i'm keeping my October ressie.....if they truly eliminated the skip the desk option i will cancel my Feb. ressie and re-book with another company regardless of price (i despise the counter).........I'll keep you all posted ....

I used Dollar last month and was in line for over an hour waiting to get to the counter. I had a pending reservation for this month which I cancelled .... Enterprise / Alamo had no line and more agents working the desk. Dollar had 15 'positions' with only TWO manned. There clearly were other folks 'in the back' but they simply swapped out with the two working positions. ZERO effort to bring more stations on line even as the queue got longer and longer ....

Ick...yeah that's no good. Dollar/Thrifty would save me (as of recently) about $40 for the week but it's not worth it if I have to deal with that inside terminal line!

I'm curious about Enterprise/Alamo since Alamo gives me the option ONLINE and in their APP to just Skip the Counter. I assume this means I can still go right to the garage and bypass the terminal line but I'll report back how that works out this weekend.

I'll keep everybody posted on the outside/garage desk situation with the other companies if I am able to see them.

Ick...yeah that's no good. Dollar/Thrifty would save me (as of recently) about $40 for the week but it's not worth it if I have to deal with that inside terminal line!

I'm curious about Enterprise/Alamo since Alamo gives me the option ONLINE and in their APP to just Skip the Counter. I assume this means I can still go right to the garage and bypass the terminal line but I'll report back how that works out this weekend.

I'll keep everybody posted on the outside/garage desk situation with the other companies if I am able to see them.
I’m relatively sure you can still skip Enterprise, and I know you can skip Hertz. The outside Avis window has been dark and not been manned the last two times we’ve walked by, and that has been during normal business hours not late at night or early morning. I haven't heard anything about Alamo.

I’m relatively sure you can still skip Enterprise, and I know you can skip Hertz. The outside Avis window has been dark and not been manned the last two times we’ve walked by, and that has been during normal business hours not late at night or early morning. I haven't heard anything about Alamo.
You can skip with Enterprise/National, Hertz and Avis for sure. Heard mixed results with Budget and the last time I used Alamo you had to check in with a kiosk and then I had to wait for a vehicle to be brought up, but that was at DEN, not MCO. Budget used to be they had the contracts in a stand next to the hut in the garage, I've heard recently that they are all at the desk and you have to wait in line to get them.

Alamo provides a "Skip the Counter, Skip the Kiosk" online ticket you can print or save to mobile device. You just go find vehicle in the class you rented, keys like all rentals are in it, and drive through the booth and show them your information. Just requires some online prep through their app ahead of time. I haven't used it in a while, so hoping it goes smoothly when I try it this weekend!

I used Dollar in March and had no problem picking up in the garage.
Good to know. Maybe they’ve reopened that service since my husband was there the second week of March and it was closed - and they did have the sign out end of July stating all customers must stop inside, no going direct to cars. I wonder if it’s a variable staffing issue.

Good to know. Maybe they’ve reopened that service since my husband was there the second week of March and it was closed - and they did have the sign out end of July stating all customers must stop inside, no going direct to cars. I wonder if it’s a variable staffing issue.
Have you seen the new option to do early check in? I have an upcoming reservation. The thing I don't like is they send a link and want to take control of your camera. The disclaimer says that they take a picture of the renter. It is definitely Dollar's site. But these kinds of things make me uneasy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter