"Rehitching" ceremony for an adoption?

Snoopymom

DIS Veteran
After learning about the rehitching ceremony at the Garden Grill in Delswife's report, I started thinking about how fun it would be to surprise my dh and our 3 yr old foster son, with some kind of little "we now pronounce you a family" ceremony, since the adoption will be final shortly after our next trip. Even if I could arrange for a CM to change the wording at the Garden Grill, Dh refuses to go to Epcot (with a little one), so do you know of another place or another way we could celebrate. We have a ps at O'hana's for the fireworks, so maybe something could be done there? I thought of getting Mama, Daddy and Son mickey ears and releasing balloons somewhere, I know, not very creative, LOL...any ideas...please! Thanks a bunch for any suggestions.
Also, we're going for 3 days, staying off property, and plan to visit MGM and IoA this time.

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas. I found your story very touching. You have a very lucky little boy and I'm sure you will have a magical vacation!

~Kim :sunny:

Snoopymom...

I smiled when I read your post! Congrats on the future consummation of your adoption. We have 4 adopted children and after the adoption of each of them, we celebrated with a WDW trip! Ohana's was our celebratory dinner and we had a special dessert brought to the child. I am sure the people around us, just thought i was a b-day or something, but OUR FAMILY knew what it was and that was all that mattered! Good Luck!

Pixie

PS......Even 3 year olds love Epcot!! Try the Kidcot stations! Ours have always thought it to be fun and entertaining!

Don't let being 3 stop you from going to EPCOT- my children LOVED Epcot at that age- the Spaceship Earth, The kidcot mask making stations, the characters, the fountains (back that swim suit), playing on the Norway ship, riding Maelstrom, the Mexico ride and more! Just look below the surface and there are lots of things for young ones to do- my kids STILL love the changing lights in the pavement at night!

As for adoption celebration- we have 3 adopted children. Ohana's is a great place since it means "family"- our kids love getting the bucket of colored ice- that is a dream for them when we celebration adoption anniversaries.

You could have your hotel decorate your room, and supply a cake- sometimes you can get a magical certificate when you do that which would be a nice commemorative.

As an adoptive dad here, I too, read your ideas with a smile, and a lump in my throat. Best wishes on whatever you do, and congratulations. VERY cool!!!!!!!!

Dan

Originally posted by Snoopymom
I thought of getting Mama, Daddy and Son mickey ears and releasing balloons somewhere, I know, not very creative, LOL...any ideas...please!

That IS very creative and I say you just go for it! As an adopted child (by my grandparents) to the adoptive parents I say BLESSINGS TO YOU! Children need more parents like you! ::yes:: :hyper:

Wow! Thanks for all the nice wishes!

Well, after a year and a half of waiting and court hearings, I think dh and I might get too emotional releasing balloons, so I'd really love to do the Garden Grill with the characters to keep it happy and light.

I've never been to Epcot and after your suggestions and doing some reading here on the illuminations and what they have for kids, I would really like to go. Dh was there in the 80's as a teenager on crutches, and he said there wasn't much there and he was miserable, so he's jaded. I'm going to have to do some convincing...maybe if he knows he can get a pint of Guiness somewhere? LOL.

Would the lunch or the icecream social be better? I'll have to call and see if they can change the wording.

If this doesn't work out, maybe we could have our own little celebration at O'hana's...ds's favorite character is Stitch, and our little secret code is "ohana means family" I call him my little stitch, and I must say, adopting him has been like adopting Stitch, LOL. We were at the Disney store last weekend, and he gathered up all the plush Stitches he could off the shelf and said he wanted to take them ALL home...I almost started crying right then.

Anyway, what's a bucket of colored ice? and the Mexico ride? They sound great.

Thanks so much for the info, and again for the wonderful wishes. We feel so blessed and fortunate...whenever I see water in the parks...any water, fountains, Small World, Pirates of the Carribean, you name it, I now close my eyes, throw a coin and whisper thank you!

I would choose Epcot over IOA any day with a 3 year old! There is virtually nothing for a 3 year old to do at IOA and a lot to do at Epoct.

The Living Seas is great for younger children. My (now) 4 year old DD plasters her nose against the glass of the huge fish tank. Just skip the pre-show ... it can be a bit loud.

In The Land you have the "Food Rocks" show and the "Living In the Land" boat ride. Simba's Eco-show (don't remember the name of it) is also OK for a 3 year old.

Most 3 year olds also like Ellen's Energy Adventure. Can you say "Dinosaurs"?

You can Baby Swap for Test Track and Space. The "kid habitrail" is popular at the exit of Space is very popular with my DD.

Journey Into Your Imagination is OK for a braver 3 year old (there is a dark spot and a spot where air is blown on you) and so is Honey I Shrunk the Audience. My DD will do both ... sometimes.

Then there is the boat rides in Mexico and Norway (watch out for the trolls!), the movies in France, Canada and China and all the other entertainment in Epcot. It's very 3 year old friendly!

OTOH, we are waiting until our DD is "roller coaster ready" for IOA. MGM is bad enough for us since she cannot ride Rock and Roll Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror yet. I feel that she spends a lot of time waiting for us to finish the rides and she gets too bored.

Good luck! You'll find something special for your son. BTW, you may want to double-check about where Stich is doing his meet and greet. Last time I knew he was at MGM near the animation tour, but the tour is currently (or soon to be) down.

Thanks so much for that info robinb! You're right about IoA. I just checked the height requirements and ds is too short for almost everything. I was told we HAD to go, and I assumed it was like Disney, so I didn't really research the rides.

Ds is fearless, so I think we can do everything you mentioned at Epcot without a problem. He also loves dinasaurs, plus I know dh and I would enjoy the different countries.

Thanks again. I can't believe how great this site is for a newbie!

First, as an adoptive dad of two wonderful kids, congratulations on your adoption.

I wouldn't hesitate taking a 3 year old to EPCOT. There's plenty to do for a young kid, so don't let that stop you!

I love the idea of the adapted rehitching ceremony, but if that doesn't work out I think a nice dinner at O'hana or elsewhere is a great idea.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be memorable. Have a great trip!

Congratulations on your special day. We adopted 2 sisters 7 years ago and we celebrate 'gotcha day' every year by doing something crazy or fun as a family. 2004 we arrive at WDL on 'gotcha day' and we are trying to come up with something for the kids that day when we arrive at out hotel. The kids are now 9 and 14. The day we went to court to legalize we rented a limo and took our whole family and had champagne for the adults and sparkling cider for the kids. They have never forgot that day!

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter