Relative assumes he has rights to our cottage

I agree - OPs brother has no right to store anything at the cabin he does not own nor to make "improvements". OP needs to be clear that while they will graciously allow family members to use the cabin from time to time, no one other than the owners are entitled to use it or to make any changes. I don't think this is just a matter of clarifying his boat use or plans to change the property. It appears he feels entitled to use the cabin whenever he wants and that is likely not the case.

I think owning property with a relative who is already disregarding others rights by acting independently with storing his boat; making plans to alter the property without discussions with the real owners & is inconsiderate of & angering the neighbors sounds like a real disaster in the making. If he isn’t asking the OP’s permission for boat storage & property alterations now, he will never care what they want if he actually gets part ownership.
I think you are correct in your character assessment but family can make you do crazy things at times, LOL.
Still, OP, is going to have to weigh what works better for her:).
I will also say that any sibling of mine who did something like that would be someone I'd wouldn't want to own property jointly with either.

OP, you are a joint-owner of this cottage property. While you may be the majority owner, you still need to share decisions with the other owner -- you cousin. First order of business is for you and this cousin to sit down and discuss exactly what are the ground rules: How to determine who gets the cabin which week/weekend, when are "guests" allowed use of the property (must one of you be present, can you "lend" it to a friend to use during "your" week, etc.), what are any plans for maintenance and improvements both near-term and longer-range plans?

Once that has been set in writing and agreed to by both owners -- then comes the discussion of your brother and his boat and his "plans." Did the cousin say he could leave the boat there? How and when did the boat come to be docked there? It's January now, so presumably this all occurred several months ago (back in the summer). Ideally that would have been the time to address it, but better now before spring boating season. However, IF your joint-owner/cousin allowed your brother to dock there, you can't just override that decision. Hence, paragraph 1 above to hammer out ground rules between the owners before dealing with your brother. "History" doesn't grant ownership or access rights, it provides memories - hopefully good memories for your brother.

Good luck!

I think you need to sit down with the other 25% owner (your cousin) and come up with some rules/guidelines and a united front about what is and isn't permitted regarding visitors. The first topic for discussion would be the removal of storing/working on boats during the year. Honestly, that's a headache in itself. Even though the cottage property "was" in the family, it has entirely different ownership now and that's how you have to look at it now. I'm sure there are other marinas where you brother can "pay" to store his boat.

I am so glad my MIL had it spelled out in her will what had to be done with her cottage. If no one wanted to purchase it, it had to be sold. If one of her children wanted to purchase it, the other 3 had to agree and their share bought out by the 4th. No co-owners, which is just asking for problems.

As I stated before, if adults act like adults, then it's quite easy to share property. Husband's family has been doing it for generations. I think it's sad that only one child/grandchildren get the chance to enjoy a family cottage.

As I stated before, if adults act like adults, then it's quite easy to share property. Husband's family has been doing it for generations. I think it's sad that only one child/grandchildren get the chance to enjoy a family cottage.

Not everybody wants to deal with a lake house. It is a lot of work to maintain and not cheap.

DH was one of seven. Four live a multiple hour plane ride away. Why should they lose out on a monetary inheritance for something they would never use?

I am glad yours worked out but in many cases it does not.

It's odd OP hasn't stopped back by after his/her first post on the DIS has already gotten to Page 3. And nooooooo I'm not jealous; ok maybe a tad!! :tongue:

I would never be a part owner in a property or business with others. Figured that was common knowledge. Your problems with this are just beginning.
Then most businesses wouldn't exist. My DH has co-owned multiple businesses with many different people for more than a decade. There hasn't been friction that couldn't easily be dealt with for two reasons:

1. He carefully chooses and vets his partners
2. He has an excellent law firm that draws up all of the legal agreements.

It seems that was a choice the children made. The OP said only one of the cousins was interested in keeping it in the family.
If OP’s siblings, or the cousins really cared they could have been part owners as well.They chose not to be so there is nothing to be sad about.

It's odd OP hasn't stopped back by after his/her first post on the DIS has already gotten to Page 3. And nooooooo I'm not jealous; ok maybe a tad!! :tongue:
Maybe the newbie forgot her password or can't find her way back here. We do need an update, say whut?

I appreciate all the suggestions, especially those which offered wording. To clarify, the brother is mine, he has never behaved in this way in the past, and other than this issue we have a great relationship. And the 25% cousin is very easy to work, as are his children ( mone of whom are interested in buying the cottage).
Insurance worries, lack of parking and staving off tension with neighbors are the points I'm going to start with when I approach him. Thanks to all, again.

What happens if some stranger invades the property and gets hurt?
What if your brother or a friend he invites gets hurt on the property?
What happens if your 25% owner cousin arranges for some major improvements and does not pay the contractor?
How are taxes being taken care of?
I think you need something in writing, preferably drawn up by an attorney, to spell out the rules and responsibilities of the owners (you and your cousin).
Under some conditions any one owner can demand that the other(s) buy him out or that the property be sold and the proceeds divvied up depending on the percentage ownership.

What happens if some stranger invades the property and gets hurt?
What if your brother or a friend he invites gets hurt on the property?
What happens if your 25% owner cousin arranges for some major improvements and does not pay the contractor?
How are taxes being taken care of?
I think you need something in writing, preferably drawn up by an attorney, to spell out the rules and responsibilities of the owners (you and your cousin).
Under some conditions any one owner can demand that the other(s) buy him out or that the property be sold and the proceeds divvied up depending on the percentage ownership.

It is possible the OP and the other owner have already worked all this out.
I guess if she was looking for advice on all that she would have started a thread asking for advice about that instead of asking about how to approach her brother.

I have a long history with Disney World. Maybe I'll haul my FIL's old fishing boat over and dock it at Small World. I'll build me a ramp right next to the hippos . Don't mind me, y'all!

You would go down in WDW history that they would probably commemorate with a very special photo of you. You'd probably get your very own thread(s) on the DIS and other fan sites, too. I think you've found a winner of an idea.

You would go down in WDW history that they would probably commemorate with a very special photo of you. You'd probably get your very own thread(s) on the DIS and other fan sites, too. I think you've found a winner of an idea.
You mean my mug shot? Anyway, I don't think I can get my FIL's boat in; it's bigger than the new wagon specifications.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter