Rental Car -- Tampa

Kevin J

Earning My Ears
I was going to post this as a reply to the earlier question about Tampa and $$$, but had questions beyond, so here goes...

We're flying into Tampa -- used miles for tickets and MCO was not available...

We'll be staying both on and off-site, so will need a car for 10 days. Checked National, using DC membership contract and coupon codes...and got a rate for a compact at $330 for the duration -- I checked the MCO price and it's about $220. Anyone know why, or if it's possible to get a better rate in Tampa?

Also -- for the Emerald Club membership, my understanding is that DC members get the $50 fee waived...can I join online, or do I need to go through the 800 number on the DC site? And, will I get better rates through that?

I know your question involves National, but have you also checked the rates with Dollar? My inlaws just returned from Tampa and got a good rate with them.

Sharon

I have been comparing rental rates lately from National MCO vs Tampa and I have also noticed Tampas rates are higher.

As the previous poster said, check Dollar, Avis, Budget. Go to the Tampa airline website and see what other agencies are available. You can get a better price than that.

Herc.

Well, I checked all the other sites...and the rates are all in the same range...$325+ for 10 days...just wondering if anyone else has gotten a good rate in the late April/Early May time period...

You might try interamerican car rental. I haven't used them yet but their rates were generally less than the "big guys"

Go to Mousesavers.com and see if you can get a good rate with a code. That should bring the price down a bit.

We always go with Dollar. They have some great codes out now that you can use when you book for additional discounts.... mousesavers will have all the informaiton you need.

I have heard of $199 per week for a minivan.

Just returned from Tampa and used National. Had a bad experience and a nasty National person! Aisle selection was poor - mostly compacts. To make matters worse the cars were not clean. I used to love national and have been an Emerald club member since 1987. After this latest trip, I'm switching to another rental company!

I would give Priceline a shot. I know that I did very well with my last trip, saved a LOT of money. I put in a really low bid on an intermediate and it was accepted by Avis, when I got there, they upgraded me to a full size. I think the cost was about 146.00 for the week(including taxes). (I put in a bid of 15.00 per day) The other rental agenices were way higher.
I would only use Priceline if my dates were in "concrete". :)

I am with Gail. I would go with Priceline before I would go with an off airport "small brand" While I know there are good stories there I have not been successful there. Personally I find the rental car to be the biggest hassle of traveling. I have just spent an hour trying to convince my boss that "No, Hertz does not honor our contract if it is a franchise location". I have a horror story from ALL of the major rental car companies so I just have no choice but to use one of them. That said my horror stories from the few times I have used small, local companies are a lot worse! At least with Priceline you will get a major company.

Also, if you do use someone that is not one of the big boys and you plan for your credit card to provide insurance coverage verify the converage. One of my cars only does national companies.

I too, am flying into Tampa this spring. I've done a lot of checking around over the last few months. I found www.floridaticketsinc.com to be the best deal by far!! The cars are thru Dollar and are: $139. Weekly Compact, $159. Weekly Intermediate! Dollar as you may already know in "in terminal". I couldn't believe it when I called Hertz and was quoted $319. for a compact with a member discount card and numerous codes! They've got to be joking!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter