Renting out points worry

I am new to this forum but I have been trying to find a way get my family to Disney for less that $12,000 and I've been reading a bit on DVC rentals and this seems the best way to go. It also seems to be the way to go if you want to stay at a resort that you normally couldn't afford if you book through Disney. For instance, I looked at the Grand Floridian on the Disney site for an outer view garden room it's $7500, not counting park tickets, but on the rental site I'm seeing a deluxe studio for $2500; how can there be that big of a difference in price? Are DVC's in different parts of the hotel? I really don't know how all of this works and I would love any information that I can get.

As you can see I am planning a trip about 2 years from now...I may be a bit of an over-planner. :-)

I lied, it's 'only' $4700 for the outer view garden room

DVC point rentals are usually about 50% of the cost of a cash reservation, but you will probably have to pay the room cost all up front when making the reservation with no refund if you have to cancel. You can get a refund with a cash reservation.

Also, if you are trying for the Grand Floridian your probably going to need an owner with points there to get a studio depending on time of year.

Well? Just us.... we never rent out points. Might sell, at cost, points to family members - ZERO profit.
A stranger? Nope, our choice, not doing that..... You will choose to do what you choose to do.

I've rented from four members and never provided a credit card. I've also never thought about damaging the room. I don't ever charge back to the room (use gift cards) I guess there are some weenies in the world that would do things to other people's property.

Just reading through this thread, it seems it's not very common for renters to skip out on room bills or damage the room then. It would be awesome to know how often these issues come up from rental transactions through David's...

Got what I believe to be a clear answer to this now.
The declaration of condominium (at least the BWV one, anticipate they'll all be the same) clearly states the owner is responsible for any damage caused by a guest. So DVCMC could get that back from you. If however you have used David's etc, I'd expect them to step in and sort it out to avoid reputational damage.
There is nothing anywhere I have seen to make an owner responsible for a guests' failure to pay a sum they've contractually agreed to a third party - in other words, Disney Parks etc for food. That is a matter between those parties to that contract, and doesn't involve you.

Got what I believe to be a clear answer to this now.
The declaration of condominium (at least the BWV one, anticipate they'll all be the same) clearly states the owner is responsible for any damage caused by a guest. So DVCMC could get that back from you. If however you have used David's etc, I'd expect them to step in and sort it out to avoid reputational damage.
There is nothing anywhere I have seen to make an owner responsible for a guests' failure to pay a sum they've contractually agreed to a third party - in other words, Disney Parks etc for food. That is a matter between those parties to that contract, and doesn't involve you.
That's how I read it technically but the issue is, and what they've done before, is simply lock the account down until it's taken care of. It becomes a matter of practicality where it wouldn't make sense for legal action over a few hundred $$$ issue while you can't use your contract and late charges are pilling up if one were ultimately successful in challenging the charges.

Just reading through this thread, it seems it's not very common for renters to skip out on room bills or damage the room then. It would be awesome to know how often these issues come up from rental transactions through David's...

I was quoted zero since it has been in business (maybe 10 years, I don't remember) when I inquired a year ago. If you think about it, all it takes is 1 incident (in today's age of social media) and David's can easily be put out of business as it relies on DVC members to supply points. I would imagine if David's were to have trouble recovering damages from the renter(s), it's more than likely that it will eat the cost rather than leave a member out to dry, IMHO.

LAX

That's how I read it technically but the issue is, and what they've done before, is simply lock the account down until it's taken care of. It becomes a matter of practicality where it wouldn't make sense for legal action over a few hundred $$$ issue while you can't use your contract and late charges are pilling up if one were ultimately successful in challenging the charges.
That would be unlawful interference with your property rights. You'd get more than a few hundred dollars for wrongly preventing you from using your property I'd suspect, you would in the UK anyway. I'd like to see an actual example where they'd done that (for unpaid restaurant bills etc), as I haven't seen that reported by anyone, just speculation (wrongly it seems) that it could be done.

That would be unlawful interference with your property rights. You'd get more than a few hundred dollars for wrongly preventing you from using your property I'd suspect, you would in the UK anyway. I'd like to see an actual example where they'd done that (for unpaid restaurant bills etc), as I haven't seen that reported by anyone, just speculation (wrongly it seems) that it could be done.
There have been 2 cases reported here in DIS but both got sorted our fairly easily. I've had one myself that I don't believe I've ever posted about. It was years ago over a $13 long distance phone call. Per the POS, your account has to be in good standing to reserve and use and such as issue would likely put you NOT in good standing and has on several examples here though it's been a while since it's been reported. It seems to me you're hung up on the legal idea of contract and property. The POS is not a contract in the sense you mean in that it can't be changed and the deed is not truly a deed to real property in the same sense as a home is.

I believe there was one such instance reported here although I admit I don't remember if it got as far as the account being frozen or just threatened. The "offending" renter was family as I recall so it was settled up fairly quickly. And the real offender likely the payment system of Disney which simply failed but it ended up back on the owner.

It's such a rare occurrence that it's hard to say for certain what DVC would do but I do recall this one that they were reportedly taking down that path.

Problems likely arise so infrequently that rental companies like David's probably pay out the required money themselves and then blacklist that renter.

I would have to go back and look at the contract, but I am fairly certain there was something in there about any damage to the room being the responsibility of the renter. I realize that the member would have to deal with Disney because that's whose points were used. But at least with that clause in a signed contract between the member and the renter, the member may have some recourse with a civil suit if it got that far.

David has a contract that protects then renter... If renter damages anything in room they are responsible... you can't rent without a credit card on file

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter