RESALE POLICY CHANGE!

Have they said the Epcot lounge will not be for everyone? I am just wondering how they can actually police some of these things.

That is easily accomplished in a number of different ways. Just like with EMH for resort guests.
  • Different membership cards, one signifying you qualify and one not (with different colors, etc)
  • Using Magic Bands like for fastpasses, resale purchasers turn red, others green to access
  • Don't police it at all for stuff like the lounges and use an honor system to keep from having to do something until it is needed. But restrict for purchases or direct offers for things that require RSVP (parties, etc
Honestly, it would be number 1 or 3. Most likely the third option for stuff like the lounges and TOWL. The reason the second option wont' be done is the same reason you can't get your discounts with your magic band, it would have to be coded to automatically apply at qualifying locations. Disney makes a LOT of money by not auto applying discounts and many people don't know they are entitled to one. So by requiring to show a separate membership card or annual pass card and having to ask for your discount saves them tons.

I don't think this will too much effect resales values. A person buying resales is educated in the DVC product and will understand the the true "value" or lack there of these benefits.

True value and perceived value are two different things and both can still effect resale in my mind. I think I would be pretty bitter if I became a DVC member - even if paying less in resale- and see DVC discounts that I cannot use and parties I am not allowed to go to.

I was just on MS Chat with Larry, and asked if you bought Resale will you lose your Extra Members benefits.
He said for those who are buying today(April 4,2016)and later date are not eligible . Those who have purchased Resale prior to April 4,2016 will receive the benefits.

I think I would be pretty bitter if I became a DVC member - even if paying less in resale- and see DVC discounts that I cannot use and parties I am not allowed to go to.

My reading is that the new rules will not impact you on what you already bought resale. It only impacts resales as of today.

TOWL and the new (yet to be opened) Member lounge at Epcot are all listed under the Member Benefit and more section of the DVC website, so whether those will be available to resale buyers in the future will remain to be seen. Who knows if they will even be open to direct buyers at some point I guess.

I just think it's kind of discouraging that they are building two classes of members. It doesn't effect me at all (directly), we bought in 92, and really don't have any intentions of buying anymore points in the future. But it just seems strange. I am sure they are doing it to drive direct sales, but in the long run, the perks aren't guaranteed anyway.

I was just on MS Chat with Larry, and asked if you bought Resale will you lose your Extra Members benefits.
He said for those who are buying today(April 4,2016)and later date are not eligible . Those who have purchased Resale prior to April 4,2016 will receive the benefits.

I believe in 2011, it was defined if the contract was submitted for ROFR before the date.

I don't understand how DVC is being "spiteful" by restricting certain privileges to resale buyers. This is business folks whether we like it or not. This makes me think of Marriott rewards members who are ticked that they don't get the best views/locations in-house at a Marriott timeshare when they have not invested the big bucks to own there. As an owner, I would be more than a little mad if someone that "hadn't paid the piper" got the exact same privileges that owners did. Marriott and other TS limit privileges and usage for resale buyers as well.

This does not affect those of you that ALREADY have your DVC resales. It only affects those that purchase today or after.

25 points as add-on will not go away for members. No way I believe that will ever happen. The only way anyone has been able to buy that small a "master" contract as a new member is via resale. As a member of well over 20 years, I don't think it was wise in many respects to ever offer a master contract of as little as 50 points. One of many reasons is that it has definitely impacted Studio availability and IMO DVC satisfaction in some respects. In the early 90's the minimum was 230 points so it doesn't impact me at all, but I know it does a lot of folks that own say, 100 points or so.
I beg to differ as in someone who buys Poly now at $160, or Bought at SS in 2014 for $140 didn't pay the same, and has the same privileges beyond the 11/7. A logical, and frankly fair way to deal with resales would be that those resale points could only be used at the home resort. That I would totally understand.

I don't see how they will prevent people from entering the lounge unless they start having 2 different member cards which is certainly possible.

The way I read it, resale buyers going forward will NOT receive physical I.D. cards any longer. They will have a member number and access to a digital card but it will look different.

True value and perceived value are two different things and both can still effect resale in my mind. I think I would be pretty bitter if I became a DVC member - even if paying less in resale- and see DVC discounts that I cannot use and parties I am not allowed to go to.

Correct and you would tell everyone that you don't get those items and if one of your friends wants to buy, it will drive them to direct sales vs resale. Which is a win for Disney.

The backlash of this has zero effect on Disney, because a resale buyer who is mad doesn't cost Disney anything. They can either sell their membership or keep using it. But, what does effect Disney is even if a couple of people are swayed to buy direct because they were told in the sales pitch that resale is excluded form certain benefits.

I think it may hurt resale (prices) of small contracts since the price difference isn't as high between those and a direct buy. Since small contracts of 25-50 points previously commanded a premium on the resale market their price was already typically closer to direct than a large contract. If the difference winds up only being a $1000-$1500 or so between the 2 then I could see that pushing a lot more people toward a direct purchase to gain the current additional benefits like up to $200 off an AP (assuming gold works for them) AND not having to go through the more lengthy resale process.

Based on the disclosure statement cited above entitled Membership Extras https://disneyvacationclub.disney.g...formembers/memberbenefitsguide/MEADSFinal.pdf, it appears that, other than just the previously excluded Disney collections, new resale purchasers will not have access to the annual pass discount, waterpark ticket discounts, and:

"(i) special access to or discounts for events, recreational or educational programs or facilities at select Disney theme parks, DVC Resorts, hotels or other venues (ii) select dining or merchandise discounts at the Walt Disney World Resort or the Disneyland Resort ('Special Programs')."

Thus, the 10% merchandise discount at WDW stores and dining discounts are out for new resale purchasers. A site mentioned above is interpreting the Membership Extras statement to still allow TOWL, pool hopping, and free DVD's at community hall. That may be an incorrect interpretation of the Membership Extras statement because TOWL, pool hopping, free DVD's, and even community hall access itself could be excluded by the "recreational programs or facilities" exclusion in the document. In other words, this may be broader than many are thinking right now.

Of, note, however, is that the only requirement to get access to all those extras (other than the Disney Collections), is for the owner to be a "Member" as defined in the statement and that statement defines "Member" as any "Purchaser who has acquired an Ownership Interest directly from DVD." It sets no minimum purchase and sets no minimum number of points needed to use any of the special discounts or programs. Thus, absent further clarification, it does appear that new purchasers could purchase resale and then do a 25 point add-on through DVD and escape the exclusions except for the previously exisitng Disney Collections exclusion (the only program that actually depends on using points). Frankly, if I were purchasing right now resale, I would likely insist on getting clarification of that issue and how broad the exclusion actually is. Disney should provide clarification upon request of any current owner who is selling right now.

Last edited:
Correct and you would tell everyone that you don't get those items and if one of your friends wants to buy, it will drive them to direct sales vs resale. Which is a win for Disney.

The backlash of this has zero effect on Disney, because a resale buyer who is mad doesn't cost Disney anything. They can either sell their membership or keep using it. But, what does effect Disney is even if a couple of people are swayed to buy direct because they were told in the sales pitch that resale is excluded form certain benefits.

I'm speaking not on how it would effect Disney but on how it would effect resale value- I think resale value could be lowered b/c of this.

That is highly unlikely to occur, due to the condo association structure and Florida law.
Both of your recent posts in this thread had me thinking. How as members are we protected for the 11/7 booking windows. Will those likely never be touched due to certain rules?

Both of your recent posts in this thread had me thinking. How as members are we protected for the 11/7 booking windows. Will those likely never be touched due to certain rules?

The contract allows for a minimum 1 month home resort priority.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter