Resort before a cruise

DVC SSR Owner

DIS Veteran
Taking a June dream cruise. We will have in laws with us that are not big into the parks. We want to stay one sat night before the cruise. What resorts are nice for relaxing by the pool and non Disney food? We will use magical express from mco and Disney cruise transportation from resort to cruise. We have been to BCV and vero beach already. Plan to go to VB for 2 nights after cruise with rental car. So, without a rental car, would you chose akv, ssr, or bwv? Are any of these resorts much closer to mco or the port? What food options, transportation options would we have? Would you bother with a 2 bedroom or save points and get 2 studios for one night? How hard is it to get 2 studios next to one another? Thanks!

To relax, OKW followed by SSR with SSR maybe having the better quiet pools.

:earsboy: Bill

Are there more dining options at downtown Disney or boardwalk? Which resort is in better shape between ssr and bwv?

I'd save the points and get 2 studios. 2 bedrooms are nice if you're staying some time and need a washer/dryer, kitchen. But since its only one night and you probably won't be cooking or laundering, get the studios.

without a rental car, would you chose akv, ssr, or bwv? Are any of these resorts much closer to mco or the port? What food options, transportation options would we have? Would you bother with a 2 bedroom or save points and get 2 studios for one night? How hard is it to get 2 studios next to one another?

Personally, I'd stay at OKW with 2 studios. That way you've got boat/bus transport to DTD for dining options there. Also getting 2 studios together is a request and can't be asssured...but OKW does have it's internal bus. All WDW resorts are basically the same distance to MCO. SSR and OKW are the two closest to non disney dining that's available in the area of the crossroads mall...you'd still want a taxi (busy streets and a hoof). In the crossroads area there's Chevys, Black Angus, IHOP, Shoney's and others.

HTH

Every resort gives you different options, IMO the Beach Club/Boardwalk areas will give you the best pool option along with casual dining on the Boardwalk and fee night time entertainment.

I am tempted to get 2 studios at BCV again. We really liked the pools there last visit. How does the pool/slide st BWV compare to BCV pool area? Thanks!

I am tempted to get 2 studios at BCV again. We really liked the pools there last visit. How does the pool/slide st BWV compare to BCV pool area? Thanks!

Stormalong Bay is a mini waterpark and not relaxing. It is always super busy and at times difficult to find a spot to sit. BCV does have a quiet pool but it is not always very quiet. BWV pool is the clown pool, and IMHO seems to be a little quieter. Also most of the resturants are on the BW side.

SSR is very relaxing, and close to DTD which has tons of dining and shopping options. SSR also has 4 pools, which include two with waterslides and kids play areas. It is also close enough to walk or you can take a boat to DTD. If you staying for one night I would pick BW or SSR.

How does the transportation work at ssr to dtd? Is the ferry easy to use? What buildings are close to the ferry launch? Is there just one stop? What buildings are close to the zero entry pools? Since ssr is newer, are the rooms in good shape? Thanks!

How does the transportation work at ssr to dtd? Is the ferry easy to use? What buildings are close to the ferry launch? Is there just one stop? What buildings are close to the zero entry pools? Since ssr is newer, are the rooms in good shape? Thanks!

SSR has bus and boat service to DTD. There are 5 different sections and bus stops at each section. There is one boat dock where the ferry docks which is located behind the main building with Turf Club. The ferry itself goes to Pleasure Island and you can walk to the Marketplace from there or take another Ferry to the Marketplace. DTD has the Marketplace side and the Westside. Shops and Restaurants are pretty evenly spread. There are also walking paths that you can take to walk to DTD.

In terms of pools, the main pool, High Rocks Springs is nice with a zero entry and water slide. The Springs area is pretty close to it and so is the Grandstand. The springs is generally considered closet to the carriage house and high rock springs pool. The Grandstand also has a quiet pool with a kid’s water play area next to it. We like the Grandstand because it is pretty close to the carriage house (with food, shop, and main pool), by the golf course and the first bus stop. However, note of caution, a couple of the building are great locations, while others may seem remote.

SSR has a new pool in the Paddock area that opened in July. It has a really nice kid’s water feature and large new waterslide. The pool is also zero entry.

One area that many people love to stay at (though we have never) is Congress Park. It is the closest to DTD and overlooks it. It does have a pool however it is truly a quiet pool.

We were there last July (in a GV) and it was in very good shape.

What ever you decide, enjoy!

One thing to note, SSR is very large. Make sure the room reservations are linked and you request to be in the same building. I have heard others being placed in different sections much less buildings.

That is one advantage with BCV, it is really small.

Here is a link to a SSR map: http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/Saratoga.htm

You will save alot of pts by getting 2 studios...and for 1 night...get the 2 studios!

I think you would be happy at SSR. The Turf Club is great for a sit down meal and we love the Counter Service options at SSR too :thumbsup2

As adults only, I don't think the BWV clown pool is very appealing. BCV has SAB pool and a rarely crowded quiet pool. Also, non-Disney dining nearby. There are several restaurants in the Swan and Dolphin resorts. We have eaten at a few of their restaurants and have enjoyed the dining experience tremendously. You can walk or take the boat. :good vibes
If you have the points, I would get the 1bdrm if it is important to be guaranteed near to each other. For 1 night, it seems that the 2bdrm would be excessive. We have had rooms 3 floors apart and down separate wings. It all depends on how people check out and what is available the day/time you check in.

We will have 4 adults and 2 kids with us. Our 2 boys will be 8 and 2. We are treating the inlaws to the accommodations. Didn't post that earlier so a 1 bedroom would be too tight. Just leaning towards the 2 bedroom now before our dream cruise to keep us all together. I have seen a lot of complaints about studios far apart.

So after the cruise, plan on doing 2-3 nights at vero. Would you get 2 ocean view inn rooms or a 2 bedroom? Are any 2 bedrooms ocean view? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter