Resort Only Vacation

(3) You will be at WDW. A resort-only vacation is the sort of thing that people who've been going for years or even decades do. But you will be right there. I cannot imagine doing this and not going to a park or two. How you'll be able to manage the 5-year-old and not go to MK is beyond me. And you'll be 5 minutes from DAK, which is an amazing park.
100% this, my kids were in preschool & Kindergarten when we started going to WDW and they knew Disney World was Mickey, Dumbo, princesses, rides and a castle long before they ever went.

I love a resort only trip. When our kids were little like yours, we would go to the parks some days, but we spent a lot of time at the resort and they did love it. I would consider getting a day at Magic Kingdom and a day at Animal Kingdom. Bring strollers for both kids. Don't try to do everything at the park. And don't do the park the first day or the kids will be wondering where the park is the rest of the trip!

Done that a few times. Just went down in September and never went into a park.

I think it would be very enjoyable! I love AKL and it's a great resort for kids of all ages. If your little ones don't know what they are missing out on, then NO WORRIES.

Sorry but yes, that sounds kind of crazy to me. The reason why I fell in love with Disney in the first place was seeing how much my children loved it, and how magical it was to them. Your kids are at the perfect age to enjoy the parks and still believe in the “magic.” While the parks are for people of all ages, every single park has so many elements that cater to children, especially Magic Kingdom.

I understand feeling overwhelmed by everything and worrying about spending so much time waiting in lines. Lines are definitely part of Disney, and there will always be crowds. But your time in the parks can be whatever you make of it, it doesn’t have to be chaos. You don’t have to rush around constantly in the parks if you don’t want to. Pick a few rides (using Genie+ will help eliminate so much time standing in lines), plan to eat a meal, see a show or parade, and then that can be it! Or go for the morning, back to your resort for a mid-day break when it’s the hottest and most crowded, then head back for the evening. You could even hire a travel agent (Disney travel agents are FREE!) to help with some details of your park day.

AKL is a gorgeous resort, one of my absolute favorites on Disney property. I LOVE my rest days and days outside the parks and always have them planned for every single trip. But I just don’t think there’s enough going on there or at other Disney properties to make it worth it without going to the parks. At least do a day at Magic Kingdom. Your kids will LOVE it, I promise. And seeing the looks on their faces will be worth it for you. Plus, you will be so close to Animal Kingdom which is a really chill park, definitely more opportunities here for a relaxing day than any of the other parks.

If you really don’t want to go to the parks, I STRONGLY urge you to reconsider and go somewhere else. It is a great, big beautiful world out there and I would not waste money on an expensive Disney hotel without going to a single park. There’s way better vacations that you can do for the money you would spend on a Disney hotel. A beach trip, trip to a National Park or 2, spending time in a big city, etc. are some that come to mind.

Don’t do it. Go to at least one park!!!

Last edited:
Sounds crazy to me too! If a WDW vacation is too overwhelming, don’t go. The resorts are nice but definitely not worth the money if you aren’t going to the parks. I can’t imagine taking my kids to Disney world and never entering a park, especially a first visit. If you want to spend that kind of money, do a Disney cruise. Way less stress and you get just enough Disney

Thanks for your input! So we are also traveling with grandparents and aunt and uncle for a total of 6 adults and 2 kids. I was planning on renting points for a 2 bedroom villa at AKL (my kids love animals and it seems to be the cheapest DVC) I’m totally open to looking into other offsite hotels, but I was struggling to find one that could accommodate that many people. Maybe we will just attempt a day or two at the parks and can always leave if it doesn’t work out
I also think that the parks can be overwhelming for some kids, but there are definitely strategies to make it feel fun, exciting AND manageable. I took my kids to the parks when they were four and five, and we had a fantastic time. For both trips, we only had two park days.

Have you looked into AirBnB rentals? There are some beautiful large rental properties that have Disney decor. That said, if you think that you might want to try out one or two park days and you would like to cut down on the overwhelming nature of park experiences, I would definitely stay on property. I considered renting DVC but was scared of the no-refund policy. The Swan/Dolphin are fantastic and you can get adjoining suites (with a dining table, sofas, etc.). with a good amount of space.

Sorry but yes, that sounds kind of crazy to me. The reason why I fell in love with Disney in the first place was seeing how much my children loved it, and how magical it was to them. Your kids are at the perfect age to enjoy the parks and still believe in the “magic.” While the parks are for people of all ages, every single park has so many elements that cater to children, especially Magic Kingdom.

I understand feeling overwhelmed by everything and worrying about spending so much time waiting in lines. Lines are definitely part of Disney, and there will always be crowds. But your time in the parks can be whatever you make of it, it doesn’t have to be chaos. You don’t have to rush around constantly in the parks if you don’t want to. Pick a few rides (using Genie+ will help eliminate so much time standing in lines), plan to eat a meal, see a show or parade, and then that can be it! Or go for the morning, back to your resort for a mid-day break when it’s the hottest and most crowded, then head back for the evening. You could even hire a travel agent (Disney travel agents are FREE!) to help with some details of your park day.

AKL is a gorgeous resort, one of my absolute favorites on Disney property. I LOVE my rest days and days outside the parks and always have them planned for every single trip. But I just don’t think there’s enough going on there or at other Disney properties to make it worth it without going to the parks. At least do a day at Magic Kingdom. Your kids will LOVE it, I promise. And seeing the looks on their faces will be worth it for you. Plus, you will be so close to Animal Kingdom which is a really chill park, definitely more opportunities here for a relaxing day than any of the other parks.

If you really don’t want to go to the parks, I STRONGLY urge you to reconsider and go somewhere else. It is a great, big beautiful world out there and I would not waste money on an expensive Disney hotel without going to a single park. There’s way better vacations that you can do for the money you would spend on a Disney hotel. A beach trip, trip to a National Park or 2, spending time in a big city, etc. are some that come to mind.

Don’t do it. Go to at least one park!!!
Thanks for your input! We aren’t a “hardcore” Disney family like many are, so I truly was just trying to plan a family vacation that centered around the kids, but all ages could enjoy. After doing quite a bit of planning there just aren’t as many places that are kid centered, and cheaper than Disney, as I would have thought. We considered Sesame Street World in Pennsylvania, DollyWood In Tennessee, and those end up being just under or right around the price of Disney from where we’re flying from. Also considered kid friendly resorts in the Caribbean. We looked into National Parks trips to Yellowstone or Yosemite but again, significantly more money when flights are included. So we kinda landed back on Florida.
My 4 year old has ADHD and sensory processing issues, and is very impulsive. So just trying to manage the sensory overload and behaviors, and keeping her safe in public can be a lot. As many have said, the trip is what you make of it, so we will do one or 2 park days and take it slow. The grandparents coming with us have said they would prefer to hang by the pool at the resort, so it’ll just be myself and the kiddos in the parks. We just don’t have the capacity for “rope drop to fireworks” at this point, so just going to try to enjoy as much as we can!

it’ll just be myself and the kiddos in the parks. We just don’t have the capacity for “rope drop to fireworks” at this point, so just going to try to enjoy as much as we can!
In that case, I personally would just do a resort only trip! That's more of a comment on my personal limits and capacity to care for my kids at age 3 and 5 on my own in challenging or overwhelming circumstances. There are plenty of super fun things that you can do outside of the parks. Alternatively, if your family could provide child care, I would consider one park day with one child and another park day with the other child.

My 4 year old has ADHD and sensory processing issues, and is very impulsive. So just trying to manage the sensory overload and behaviors, and keeping her safe in public can be a lot.
I would consider starting a thread in disABILITIES to get sensory strategies from parents with experience - really wish I had done this before our trip!

Also, I say if you want to stay at the resort, go for it! I totally get wanting to be part of the Disney magic while at the same time being uncertain if the parks are right for your child. Yes, they’re way more expensive than other hotels with pools, but you still get to feel like you’re part of the whole Disney scene - for me that would totally be worth it.

Thanks for your input! We aren’t a “hardcore” Disney family like many are, so I truly was just trying to plan a family vacation that centered around the kids, but all ages could enjoy. After doing quite a bit of planning there just aren’t as many places that are kid centered, and cheaper than Disney, as I would have thought. We considered Sesame Street World in Pennsylvania, DollyWood In Tennessee, and those end up being just under or right around the price of Disney from where we’re flying from. Also considered kid friendly resorts in the Caribbean. We looked into National Parks trips to Yellowstone or Yosemite but again, significantly more money when flights are included. So we kinda landed back on Florida.
My 4 year old has ADHD and sensory processing issues, and is very impulsive. So just trying to manage the sensory overload and behaviors, and keeping her safe in public can be a lot. As many have said, the trip is what you make of it, so we will do one or 2 park days and take it slow. The grandparents coming with us have said they would prefer to hang by the pool at the resort, so it’ll just be myself and the kiddos in the parks. We just don’t have the capacity for “rope drop to fireworks” at this point, so just going to try to enjoy as much as we can!
This information would have changed my answer. I agree, definitely get som I put on the disABILITIES thread. I still think 1-2 park days would be worth trying. Since the kids like animals, I would doAK as one of your days. It’s definitely a slower park and may not be too overwhelming. You don’t need to be park commandos to enjoy a day in the parks. We never stay rope drop to fireworks. I do suggest rope dropping (less people) and using lightning lanes to limit time spent in line. (Maybe not in AK, but if you go to MK Lightning lane would be helpful) also don’t do park days back to back. I would also suggest taking a trip to FT Wilderness and doing Chip and Dales sing a long. It’s free and the kids get a chance to meet Chip and Dale. It’s very fun. You can get a s’mores kit or snacks from the chuck wagon and it’s just a real chill experience that my kids loved. Go with low expectations and chalk it up to a learning experience and a stepping stone to future vacations!!!

This information would have changed my answer. I agree, definitely get som I put on the disABILITIES thread. I still think 1-2 park days would be worth trying. Since the kids like animals, I would doAK as one of your days. It’s definitely a slower park and may not be too overwhelming. You don’t need to be park commandos to enjoy a day in the parks. We never stay rope drop to fireworks. I do suggest rope dropping (less people) and using lightning lanes to limit time spent in line. (Maybe not in AK, but if you go to MK Lightning lane would be helpful) also don’t do park days back to back. I would also suggest taking a trip to FT Wilderness and doing Chip and Dales sing a long. It’s free and the kids get a chance to meet Chip and Dale. It’s very fun. You can get a s’mores kit or snacks from the chuck wagon and it’s just a real chill experience that my kids loved. Go with low expectations and chalk it up to a learning experience and a stepping stone to future vacations!!!
Thanks for the input! I actually was thinking one of our “resort days” we could check out Wilderness and maybe do a pony ride! Great advice!
And after another user suggested it as well, I did hop over to the disAbiltities board, which I had never really considered before. I had previously thought that was more for people with physical impairments, but I now see there are many with similar situations.
Thank you all for the information!

Anyone have any must do non park activities their kiddos loved?
When my kids were four, I took them to the Art of Animation to look at the storybook landscapes. They especially loved the Cars one and they make for such great photos. You can also ride the Skyliner to and from the resort. These activities were so fun and memorable for my kids and they didn't cost a thing!

Similarly, my kids loved the Friendship Boat which you can between some resorts, Hollywood Studios and EPCOT. I'm sure they would enjoy the monorail as well.

And then you'll find an entire thread here about how some families (including mine) have observed how their young children seem to enjoy resort pool time just as much if not more than time at the parks!

Personally, I am in agreement with others who said it is a lot of money to pay AKL prices these days and not enjoy the park perks you get by paying those prices, but I think it depends on your budget and how much you are willing to spend. Also, think about the time of year you go to AKL and make sure the animals will be roaming more freely rather than seeking a warmer spot.

I want to add that I took my DD for the first time when she was 3-years-old. It was my first time since I went as a kid in the '70s, so I really did not go in with any plan, per se. I will never be able to duplicate the magic of that first day at MK as she looked around and saw the castle, princesses, and characters. We did not go to run from ride to ride and stand in long lines. We just strolled and rode a few rides (like Dumbo), enjoyed walking through the shops, watched the glass blower on Main St., at the time enjoyed watched PUSH (but he is gone now), attended some shows and the fireworks, and just in general enjoying the magical feel you have at Disney. There is so much there without riding the rides for kids at that age. Just a thought in case you do stay at Disney.

You should see if your 4 year old would qualify for a DAS pass. It would minimize waiting in lines.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/g...ty-access-service/#frequently-asked-questions
^This.
That’s a good thought, thank you! Certainly would reduce potential meltdowns in the lines!
Yes!

We took our 4 year old with autism, ADHD, and sensory processing issues for the first time back in April. We had planned the trip originally for March 2020 (but, Covid...) and had been dreading it (but we had promised to take our older kids for their birthdays). We knew our DS had "issues" but they were undiagnosed at that point and we knew nothing about DAS. Trip was delayed 2 years, which provided time for his diagnoses and for us to read up on DAS. It was an absolute lifesaver and gave him (and by extension, us) the best possible experience. We had to use an entirely different strategy than what had worked with our older kids (who were basically pros who had been to WDW multiple times per year since before they could walk), but we did it and were so successful that we have 3 trips planned for 2023.

Folks on the Disabilities board are amazing and a wealth of information. I'm also happy to discuss with you privately if you'd like any tips.

We do this every year! We go to WDW at least twice a year and USUALLY we do one park day total on average (e.g. 2 one-week visits per year, one of those visits will include a park day). We like After Hours events and our kids can stay awake for them and we haven't had any issues. Our kids have special needs and sensory processing is a big part of it. When we do the full days, we do get a DAS pass.
Nowadays we stay at a Cabin at Fort Wilderness and use it as our "home base" to explore The World. Earlier on, we used to stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and do a lot of character meals at places like the Polynesian and The Contemporary so our kids got that sort of "fix" without us doing too many big park days.

We often do one Disney Springs day and one day just "resort hopping) but at the Fort alone there are so many things to do:

Pool with waterslide, pool without waterslide

Dog Park (Waggin’ Trails)

Lots of playgrounds

Tetherball courts

Internal buses/shuttles

Tri-Circle-D Ranch: Free to visit horses/see exhibits, listen to calliope, $8 Pony Rides for under 48 inches (no reservations necessary)

Archery Experience: Ages 7 and up, $45 pp/75 minute session

Horseback Trail rides: $55 pp/45 minute ride
(Must be at least 9 years old, over 48 inches and under 250 lbs)

Canoe/Kayak rental: $13 per hour, no reservations

Fishing: $8 pole rental, bait available at Bike Barn

Chip and Dale Singalong and campfire: free except s’mores materials

Movies under the stars: free

Watch fireworks/electrical water pageant from beach: free

Boat rides to/from Magic Kingdom (catch monorail from MK or CR to Epcot for Skyliner or take boat or monorail to Polynesian): Free

Pickleball, tennis, various sports equipment: Free if staying onsite

Bikes/Bike Barn: $ (includes helmets)

Golf Cart rental: ~$67/day

Wild animals: Deer, rabbits, turkeys, armadillos, owls, and more

Hoop-de-doo-revue: $$$, reservations required

Carriage/Sleigh Ride

Wagon Ride, 25 minutes, 6:00PM and 8:30PM Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings, $12 for 10+, $8 for 3 to 9 years

Personally, I'd stay off-site (Wyndham Bonnet Creek) and take a shuttle over to MK or AK for one day only. You can stay in a 3bedroom suite offsite for a week for the price of 2-3 days onsite a Disney. Let's not forget that park tickets are not included. Bonnet Creek has lots of activities for both small children up to senior adults alike. So much to do. Go on YouTube and see people touring the resorts. One of my favorite perks of Bonnet Creek is that you can see the Disney Fireworks (Wishes) from the Main Pool. I'm sure the little ones will enjoy that, and actually, so will everyone else. Also, look up the activity schedule. It may change some when you go, but you will get an idea of what Bonnet Creek has to offer. Also, the pool parties and nightly activities are fun too. It's just a suggestion/option to consider. I have stayed on-site and off-site. My family PREFERS off-site. Personally, I also like the idea of putting kids to bed in their own rooms and being able to enjoy the sights and sounds of Orlando from the balcony. Also, like being able to have an umbrella drink in my master bedroom jacuzzi. IMHO, I believe there are MORE perks to off-site than on. Especially if you are not going to Disney every day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter