Restaurant reviews and recipes...formerly Disney QOTD

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grilled Pork Chops with Shiitake Mushrooms and Port Wine Sauce

Recipe By :Yachtsman Steakhouse, Disney's
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Meat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 3/4" thick center cut or loin park chops -- (about 10 ounces each)
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter
12 ounces shiitake mushrooms sliced
2 bags fresh spinach -- (10 ounces each)
Port Wine Sauce:
1 teaspoon plus I tablespoon cold butter
1/4 cup minced sweet onion
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and port wine

Heat barbecue grill, ridged grill pan or broiler.
Season chops with 1 1/4 teaspoons each of the salt and pepper.
Grill or broil chops, 10 to 15 minutes, turning over once, until barely pink when cut near the bone.
While chops cook, heat butter in a late skillet over medium high heat.
Add mushrooms and sauté about 5 minutes.
Add spinach, a handful or two at a time, and stir just until wilted.
Season with remaining 3/4 teaspoon. each salt and pepper. Set aside until chops are done.
Port Wine Sauce: Melt the I teaspoon butter in a medium saucepan.
Add onion and sauté until translucent.
Add vinegar and simmer until syrupy, about 6 minutes.
Add wine and simmer until reduced by about half. Remove from heat. Swirl in remaining I tablespoon butter.
Pour into a sauce boat.

ROTD.....5-1Tangerine Cafe
ROTD.....5-2 Concourse Steakhouse
ROTD.....5-3Victoria and Albert's
ROTD.....5-4Whispering Canyon Cafe
ROTD.....5-5Yachtsman Steakhouse

The only place we've eaten at was WCC. We went there to celebrate my 2 sons and my nephew's Birthdays a couple of summers ago. Their Birthdays are all in the same week except my oldest is a couple of years older than the other two. We had such a good time, my sister told the hostess that we're celebrating 3 Birthdays and boy did they keep picking on our table, after a while it got to be too much, but we had a good time. She made hats for the guys and they even wore them during the meal. The food and service was great. Can't wait to go back.

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

The Yachtsmans Steakhouse is a must for us every trip, I really like the filet mignion there. We have always had wonderful service there, one year the somalier there also worked in the Marthas Vinyard bar next door, he remembered our names when we stopped in there the day after eating at the YSH and he remembered the wine we had the day previously! We were very impressed with that.

Have eaten there once. Glad we did and enjoyed it. But no burning desire to rush back either.

we haven't eaten there

Only one more to go!!

Stay tuned Monday for the poll for the dates for the exchangers meet!! :hyper:

Greek Cinnamon Stewed Chicken

Recipe By :Kouzzina, Boardlwalk, Disney World
Categories : Chicken/Turkey

1 chicken (2 1/2 to 3 pounds) -- cut into 8 pieces (legs, breast, thighs)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 cloves garlic -- peeled and minced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion -- peeled and coarsely chopped
2 cups water
6 ounces tomato paste
1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
1 cup orzo -- cooked according to package
1/2 cup shredded *Mizritha cheese (a Greek hard
cheese)

Preboil water with sea salt.
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. A wet chicken will cause the oil to splatter while the chicken is sautéing.
Mix the cinnamon, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Rub the chicken pieces on all sides with the seasoning.
Heat the olive oil in a large, nonreactive, deep skillet over high heat.
A 12-inch skillet with sides about 2 1/2 to 3 inches high will allow you to brown all the chicken at once. If you don't have a skillet large enough, brown them in two batches using 1/2 the oil for each batch. What's important is that the chicken isn't overcrowded, which would cause them to steam rather than brown.
Add the chicken to the oil and brown for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Turn the pieces using a metal spatula, as they have a tendency to stick to the pan. Remove the pieces when they are well browned on all sides.
Mince three of the garlic cloves.
Lower the heat to medium-high, and add the onions and minced garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the onions have softened and are a rich golden brown.
Add about 1/2 cup of the water and scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula or spoon to deglaze the pan, loosening any particles stuck on the bottom.
When the water has evaporated, add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of water, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and remaining 2 garlic cloves, minced.
Return the chicken to the pan. The liquid should cover about 3/4 of the chicken pieces.
Cover the pot and simmer over medium-high heat for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. If the sauce becomes too thick, it can be thinned with a little more water.
Season the finished sauce with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over orzo, cooked according to package directions, and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
*if not available, use a blend of ricotta salata and romano.

Char-grilled Lamb Burger with Garlic 'Sauce'

Recipe By :Kouzzina, Boardlwalk
Categories : Meat Sandwiches

1 pound ground lamb
1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives
3 tablespoons dried bread crumbs -- preferably panko
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped scallions
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
Garlic Sauce:
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic -- minced
4 onion hamburger rolls -- split and toasted
4 lettuce leaves. washed and dried
4 tomato slices
4 cucumber slices (optional)
4 thin slices red onion (optional)

With your hands or a wooden spoon, mix the lamb, olives, bread crumbs, onion, scallions, salt, pepper, oregano, and feta until all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Shape the meat mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
Preheat a grill or a grill pan. Grill the meat patties over medium-hot coals or pan-grill over medium-high heat for 5 minutes per side. The burgers should no longer be pink in the center.
For the garlic sauce: While the burgers cook, stir together the yogurt and garlic.
Place each burger on the bottom of a roll, spoon on a little garlic sauce, and top with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber and onion, if using. Cover with the top half of the roll and serve.

Only had breakfast once, and I think that was back on their official opening day. (By chance.) Would like to give it another try. We were both pleased. :) :thumbsup2

Ok, I have a question for you guys, restaurant related. My DH and I will be heading to Disney next January and I've been back and forth whether to do the Regular Dining Plan or just paid for our meals. When I travel with my sister we do the DDP, and I love it not having to worry about carrying money or food shopping. My DH and I will probably rent a car so we'll be more flexible with going off property if need be to food shop, etc. I'm also hoping by then I will have enough Disney Visa rewards to pay for our restaurant meals or the DDP. Right now I have enough pts for 1 DDP and am working toward earning enough pts for the second DDP.

What would you guys do, DDP or pay for the restaurant meals? Thanks for helping me make my mind up.

I was looking at making that decision for next May since we will only have regular tickets and not AP for the TIW card.

I actually took me as an example and priced out the regular DDP with the places I would go to and what I would eat....it was close on half, but not so close on the other half. I also didn't figure in the snack or the dessert, because we don't usually do those.
I think we will pay OOP.....seems a better deal with us.
Breakfast in room.
I guess it depends on how you eat and what you eat.

Well, I am partial to WDTC exclusives. ;) :lmao:

However, we have done typical OOP, DDE (now TiW), QSDP and DDP.

I like the DDP the best. And I think it really is a good deal. Although we have done the QSDP too and been fine with it.

For me it depends on what our other plans are, the weather, budget, etc.

I much rather go to a good sit down restaurant and not feel like I should order the chicken because it costs less, when I really want the tenderloin. And even under normal circumstances, DH always manages to order the most expensive meal, or close to it. :sad2: I don't have to calculate in my head how much the meal will cost, and I can enjoy my meal more. :rotfl2:
Even the QSDP is a good deal, and you can eat well. But it is counter service food. Not the same as sit down. But it is nice on the QSDP to eat whenever and wherever you please without having to follow a schedule.

I think going off property is fine if you are here awhile and don't mind spending extra time driving to and from. And off site is not exactly on the cheap side. That can get to be close to the same prices, depending.
When we visited here, DH was happy to leave the driving to Disney. It was relaxing for him not to have to drive off site. That can be stressful around here, esp for those who are not familiar with the area outside Disney.
I drive the turnpike and I4 on work days. And don't think there are not days I could kiss the ground when I arrive safe. :laughing: It's not pretty driving around the attractions area. We all have car wreck stories we could share.
Although January would be one of the better times.

Thanks guys for your input. I like the DDP also for the same reason, don't have to worry about what to order, and how much it's going to cost. My DH has never done the DDP before, he always says we have a kitchen so why eat out. I like trying different restaurants which we wouldn't do unless we're on the DDP.

I think I made my mind up, I'm going to go with the DDP and with my visa reward pts it shouldn't cost us anything, except for the tips.

Have a great day.

I'm late, I know, but we started using the DDP a few years ago and love it. I sat down, too, trying to price it out. It makes sense for us and the boys.

Kouzzina - have never been there and probably wouldn't choose to. I'm not a fan of Greek food.

We had dinner at Kouzzina when we were there in April. I normally wouldn't eat Greek food either but heard such good things about it(our friends we went with had eaten there in October) so we decided to try it. I have to say we were pleasantly surprised! I had the cinnamon chicken and have to say it was quite good! The apps such as goat cheese stuffed grape leaves and spanikopita(puff pastry stuffed with spinach) were very good. For the less adventuress they do have two different cuts of steak on the menu. It was a very nice experience and have to say I would probably go back again!!:thumbsup2 .

We ate at Kouzzina Sunday for breakfast. :thumbsup2
And I happened to be at a place today where they were promoting Kouzzina and we each got a few samples. :goodvibes (Baklava and a small scoop of hummas with a pita chip.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter