Restrooms (Transgender)

IknowDoYou?

Mouseketeer
Hello, everyone!

My wife and I are taking the kids back to Walt Disney World later this month, but it's the first time we're going to be there since I started transitioning (MtF). We were planning on me being en femme the entire time (save for the flights -- I'm not brave enough for TSA, yet); I've even picked out a nice swim suit for the water park. Something I didn't think of until now, though, is the restroom situation.

I'd say I'm passable enough to where -- unless you're looking right at my face -- I won't be noticed, but I'm not naive enough to think this trip will go without me being clocked at least a few times...an hour. :)

So, to all of the trans folks out there, can you speak to the restroom situation? Am I going to be relegated to the "family" restroom, or is it likely I can walk into the Ladies' room, do what I need to do, and get out, or am I likely to receive harassment from other women, CMs, or both?

Thanks!

E

I am not transgender, so I can't speak from that perspective. I can tell you that the women's restrooms are very busy and most people just want to get in and out. I don't really pay attention to whose in the restroom with me. I'm more interested in finding the first open stall and first empty sink. I suspect the people who will be most honest with your appearance would be children. Kids can be brutally honest.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I hope that you have no issues whatever you choose to do. It unfortunate that this even has to cross your mind. This world can suck sometimes. Have a great vacation!

I guess I would play it by ear. Try out the ladies room, if you feel uncomfortable yourself, then do the family rooms. I agree w/ MEK, the bathrooms have a high turnover rate, everyone is rushing to do what they need to do and get back out to the parks. The most I have ever stopped to stare in a bathroom are the Tangled rest area (the theming is so awesome!) and at the tile work in Morocco and Rafiki's Planet Watch (yes, I will take time to stop and enjoy the beautiful tiles in Disney bathrooms). Hope you have a great trip.

I am not transgender, so I can't speak from that perspective. I can tell you that the women's restrooms are very busy and most people just want to get in and out. I don't really pay attention to whose in the restroom with me. I'm more interested in finding the first open stall and first empty sink. I suspect the people who will be most honest with your appearance would be children. Kids can be brutally honest.

I was going to say the exact same thing. And I'm not even sure I'd worry about kids saying anything because they're usually being dragged through the bathrooms quickly by impatient parents lol. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm not sure if I should even post here as I'm not transgender or even gay but just wanted to say if I even noticed you (a big if given I would probably be wrangling two four year olds) I would give you a thumbs up and move on.

Disney World sees guests from all over the world, from every culture. Some cultures are more "sensitive" to this issue than others, so you may get a few comments, but overall, who cares?

I will say on one trip during Gay Days, my Mom, who was in her early 80s at the time, came out from the restroom with a chuckle and said the person in the stall next to hers was biologically a male, that she could "just tell." But it certainly didn't bother Mom in any way. I mean, why would it in a closed stall? I say go for it.

One a side note, I once attended a convention where about 80 percent of the attendees were female. The ladies rooms were so crowded many just started using the mens rooms. Nobody cared. But, like most conventions, there were very few children in tow.

I'm not transgender, just a woman who isn't very feminine, and on my last trip a little girl in a bathroom line told me "I think you are in the wrong line, my daddy went to the boys room on the other side" :lmao: Her poor mother was horrified.

But on a serious note, one of my friends is FtM and lives in Orlando and he's never had a problem in bathrooms at WDW. I think most people in a busy bathroom are concerned with using the bathroom and then promptly leaving.

In all honesty I would recommend just using the restroom in which you are dressed for at the time. Let's not forget it IS Florida, and you get some crazy people, not to mention parents, from all around our great and accepting nation ;) Just last week I was holding hands with my boyfriend in San Francisco and got called the F word by an American guy.

A lot of children seem to grasp the concept of "oh that man wants to be a lady" better than most adults, to be honest!

I am not gay, either, but, it wouldn't particularly bother me at busy times in the restrooms. Since I am a rather small female, if it were in an isolated restroom at 1 am, like might occur at EMH in Magic Kingdom, I might get a little wary, but, that has nothing to do with the other person. I am a physician, though, and tend to notice subtle things, and have been sexually assaulted in the past. Would never say anything, though, would just try to hurry up and get out of there. You just never know what the other person might be dealing with, so, you just have to be sensitive.

If I go to Disneyland and one of my daughters tells me a man, or anyone looking like a man is in the ladies restroom, he will be visiting the Anaheim hospital the same day. I have no problem getting arrested over it.

I am not transgendered, but I do want to say, "you go girl"! :cool1: I bet your family will have a great time, and you'll look great in your swim suit. As for the bathrooms, I would maybe recommend going in the companion (gender neutral) restrooms. That is what most people who I know choose to do. There should be one at almost every restroom area. If you do choose to use the Women's they are usually very busy. You likely will be able to get in and out without being noticed.

I do know this post is 17 days old, so I don't know if you are already here (we're here right now, last day and leaving tomorrow). But, I just wanted to add to it just in case others were having the same concerns as yours.

If I go to Disneyland and one of my daughters tells me a man, or anyone looking like a man is in the ladies restroom, he will be visiting the Anaheim hospital the same day. I have no problem getting arrested over it.

Now now.

Fyi, the mo's, lezzies, and trannies are all around you, honey boo boo. Especially in Disneyland -- we're everywhere. There aren't enough days in a lifetime to foster the possibility of sending one of us to the hospital every day.

Now get off the gay boards, queen.

Now now.

Fyi, the mo's, lezzies, and trannies are all around you, honey boo boo. Especially in Disneyland -- we're everywhere. There aren't enough days in a lifetime to foster the possibility of sending one of us to the hospital every day.

Now get off the gay boards, queen.

Okay, off topic, but... what's a mo?

Fantasmic76 said:

I hope you have no problems with mandatory minimum sentences for hate crimes, too. Your daughter will be so proud to visit you in jail...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter