"Retro" Backlot Tour @ MGM

Miranda Danda

DIS Veteran
I was just reminiscing about the parts of the Backlot Tour that I miss. I think my favorite was the residential street with the house facades. I have Googled it, but haven't found many pictures or info beyond the Golden Girl house facade. Does anyone know where to find pictures of the other facades and what shows they were from?

Any info or memories are very welcomed! Thanks in advance! :goodvibes

I have very fond memories of the old Osborne lights up and down that street. :cloud9: Don't get me wrong, the new Osborne is AMAZING, but the old one was just like being in a secret neighborhood somewhere. I have tons of old pics of that street but they are all snapshots, nothing digital.

TigrLvsPooh said:
I have very fond memories of the old Osborne lights up and down that street. :cloud9: Don't get me wrong, the new Osborne is AMAZING, but the old one was just like being in a secret neighborhood somewhere. I have tons of old pics of that street but they are all snapshots, nothing digital.

Oh my!!!! I never got the chance to see it all lit up, but I bet it was amazing!!!! Ahhhh, memories!

Oh my!!!! I never got the chance to see it all lit up, but I bet it was amazing!!!! Ahhhh, memories!

It was :) I remember they had the characters back there too, we have a family photo of us in front of one of the old houses with Goofy dressed as Santa. :santa:

I agree. We were there in December of 98, and walking down the residential street was amazing. I have some pics somewhere, but it is the kind of thing that you had to see it "live", to truly appreciate it.

There's a pretty good recap of the entire tour over at Yesterland.com, found here: http://yesterland.com/backstage.html

Sorry it doesn't have more pictures of Residential Street, but it does have the full map of the attraction and some background, for those who are interested.

One of the other houses was from Empty Nest, a spin-off of Golden Girls.

I also have fond memories of when the Osbourne Family of Lights was on the street; I still have my 3-D glasses where it looks like it is snowing and angels are flying around.

I don't know why, but my favorite was one of the bikes in the front yard covered in lights. Who knows why you remember such small details?

I miss the old tour also.....we went on it last year, and it being my DBF first time, he thought it was great...but I wasn't very impressed since I remember the original version.

Just yesterday I was flipping through my photo album of the Disney trip I took with my mom in 2000! I have pics of the "Golden Girls" house as well as the "Empty Nest" house, I'll post them later after I'm home from work. I don't remember what other facades were there, but I know that GG and EN were the only two shows that I was familiar with, which is why I only took pics of those two houses.

I remember on an earlier trip to Disney we did the backlot tour and they had Herbie The Love Bug parked in the "Golden Girls" driveway. I'll have to ask my mom if she has any pics of that.

I do have a couple of pictures somewhere, one of the Golden Girls facade and one of the dress Julia Roberts wore in Pretty Woman! It was in the window of the section where you rode by and could look in the windows and see the people making the costumes and outfits!! I'll try to find them!

One other thing about the current backlot tour bothers me, and that is when going through the inside area, and looking at the CM's making costumes and sets, why does the tram have to go so fast thru it? It is one of the few interesting parts of the tour. :confused:

One other thing about the current backlot tour bothers me, and that is when going through the inside area, and looking at the CM's making costumes and sets, why does the tram have to go so fast thru it? It is one of the few interesting parts of the tour. :confused:

I agree!! I was so disappointed at how fast the tram went through the costuming area! It felt like we sped through there. Very sad actually. :sad2:

One of the other houses was from Empty Nest, a spin-off of Golden Girls.

I also have fond memories of when the Osbourne Family of Lights was on the street; I still have my 3-D glasses where it looks like it is snowing and angels are flying around.

I don't know why, but my favorite was one of the bikes in the front yard covered in lights. Who knows why you remember such small details?

I went with my mom for my 16th birthday many many years ago and I too still have our 3D glasses that show angels! That was my fave trip. It was just the 2 of us and I will never forget walking down the residential street in shock. I had never seen anything like that before. It made us feel at home. I loved that street. It was sad when they got rid of it. It was really special!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter