Reviews of ABD Northern California trip?

Turtlemom

Mouseketeer
Are there any trip reports or reviews of the Northern California/Yosemite ABD out there???? I checked the Trip Report tab and did not find anything.
Just wondering. . . .

Thanks Bobo912--
I guess I must have seen that thread, since I actually posted to it. I was hoping for some more recent feedback, or additional feedback on the trip, but guess its not really out there. Maybe the travellers on this itinerary are not on the DIS boards, since there must be quite a few of them??? I never saw any feedback on the "Signature" trip including Yosemite either. Oh well.

Thanks Bobo912--
I guess I must have seen that thread, since I actually posted to it. I was hoping for some more recent feedback, or additional feedback on the trip, but guess its not really out there. Maybe the travellers on this itinerary are not on the DIS boards, since there must be quite a few of them??? I never saw any feedback on the "Signature" trip including Yosemite either. Oh well.

Since there are only two firm dates for the Northern CA ABD this year, kinda makes me wonder how many trips actually happened last year. I found the 2009 departure dates for that trip and there were 12 originally scheduled, but maybe many of them were victims of the mass cancellations and that's why it's hard to find information. Well, subject is bumped back up to the top now so maybe somebody who took the trip will see it. A lot of folks who were active on the board last year haven't been around lately, but maybe they pay a visit once in awhile.

I was actually supposed to go on the Northern California Signature Trip and my date was cancelled. I am still hoping to do this trip but I am not sure if with ABD or Tauck I haven't decided yet.

Tozzie--that's a major bummer about the cancellation last year. Just curious, did you try to book another N.Ca departure date and were unable? Or were your vacation dates already fixed?

The fact that there are only 2 dates listed as "available" for this year's trip doesn't make me that comfortable with the ABD option, but I'm still doing research. The Tauk Bridges N.Ca. trip also looks really nice. . . .

It would just help me make some decisions if I could get more feedback from anyone who actually did either of these trips (ABD or Tauk).

Tozzie--that's a major bummer about the cancellation last year. Just curious, did you try to book another N.Ca departure date and were unable? Or were your vacation dates already fixed?

The fact that there are only 2 dates listed as "available" for this year's trip doesn't make me that comfortable with the ABD option, but I'm still doing research. The Tauk Bridges N.Ca. trip also looks really nice. . . .

It would just help me make some decisions if I could get more feedback from anyone who actually did either of these trips (ABD or Tauk).

The Tauck Bridges Northern CA trip was new for 2009, as well, so there probably aren't too many people out there who have done it yet. Unfortuntely it's hard to find Tauck reviews at all. There are a few on Trip Advisor for other destinations. Tauck's N. CA July 11th trip sold out about 4 or 5 weeks ago. When I spoke to them they said they would add additional dates if necessary. There are still eight other departure dates available. If I find any reviews, I'll post a link.

I was stuck with the dates I had for vacation, in addition my scheduled vacation at work, which would have been difficult to try to reschedule, I had planned on going to Southern california after wards and had booked a week at a DL hotel using DVC points and I could not switch that easily. The only other dates that I could have worked with for the Norhtern California Trip were not available. I don't know if my second choice was booked or canceled but I couldn't get it so I went on the backstage magic trip, which was fabulous and I had a great time so it was good. This was the second year in a row that my trip to Northern California was cancelled and I wondering if the third time will be a strike out.

I don't think it is a bad thing that there are only two dates scheduled for the Northern California trip, to me that is wise so that there is less of a chance they will cancel it. ABD is also limited in the dates they can go to Northern California , due to the weather in Yosemite. I was reading a website about Yosemite and the season for doing many things is very short and sometimes the rafting season ends in June.

Turtlemom, Tozzie, or anybody else who knows anything about Yosemite, have you done any research on the best month to visit? We have to go when school is out, but our school ends the last week of May, so we have June, which probably isn't as crowded or hot, July and the first week of August.

Turtlemom, Tozzie, or anybody else who knows anything about Yosemite, have you done any research on the best month to visit? We have to go when school is out, but our school ends the last week of May, so we have June, which probably isn't as crowded or hot, July and the first week of August.

I was researching last year and I actually found the yosemite park website, I don't remember the times but some of the activities such as rafting are limited to a small time frame due to conditions. If you google yosemite you will find the official website that has lots of info. I don't think it is necessarily a good time to go as opposed to a good time to go to enable you to do the activites you like.

We did our own driving trip up to Yosemite and then east to Mount Rushmore in mid-June 2009; the weather was nice (not too hot at all), and in northern Yosemite still snow on the ground! We did horseback riding, swam in outside pools, etc--all very nice. Crowds were not bad then either. It was cooler at night--but then, the days are longer than in July or August. If you like it hot, I'd wait until August; if you don't mind it a little cooler, June is ideal!

I was considering late July, but I read that most of the waterfalls are dry by then. So now I leaning towards June. I live in Tennessee so I get plenty of hot in the summer :), I don't mind a chilly night at all.

Hi Bobo912!
Sorry I can't help you with that research question. We are stuck with summer vacation dates as well, but unfortunately for us, our school does not let out until June 22 :eek:

After endless research, we ended up completely changing directions and booked a Central Italy ABD. The land based cost is the same as the Yosemite ABD, and we have always wanted to go there. I know the airfare and exchange rate will not do us any favors, but you only live once!

If you do ABD or Tauk N.Ca. I would love to hear about it as it is still definitely on "the list" of things we want to do as a family (before the kids get too old to want to travel with us!)

Anyways, I'll be following along to see what you decide.

Without the benefit of research, I would be inclined to go later in the summer (late June/July) just for the warmer weather. When we did Wyoming last summer--it snowed in August! so you never know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter