Rhino Rally Accident

Dznefreek

DIS Veteran
Just heard on the local radio that Rhino Rally at Busch Gardens Tampa has been closed indefinitely due to an accident in which a car flipped and sent the passengers flying into the Rhino Enclosure.

More to follow..............

From WTVT Tampa website:

There was an accident at Busch Garden's newest ride, the "Rhino Rally." It uses Land Rovers to trek through a safari-like landscape then floats down a man-made river on a raft. The vehicle flipped on its side on the land portion of the course. Seventeen people were onboard, two needed medical attention. One man from Orlando was treated for neck pain. A teenager from Tampa complained of lower back pain. Both were taken to the hospital. Busch Gardens has shut down the ride until an investigation is complete.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Theme park ride closed after accident
Associated Press
Posted June 27, 2001, 8:18 AM EDT

TAMPA -- The Rhino Rally exhibit at Busch Gardens was closed after a truck tipped over, causing passengers to fall out into the wild animal habitats.

The custom-built Land Rover fell over onto its right side at about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, as it was leaving the rhinoceros habitat and entering the crocodile habitat, said Gerard Hoeppner, spokesman for Busch Gardens.

The 16 passengers got out of the truck while the driver called for help, Hoeppner said.

Two rhinoceroses were grazing in the field, but the passengers were in no danger of animal attack, Hoeppner said. Handlers called out to the rhinos, which headed for their night quarters, ignoring the overturned vehicle, he said.

Saul Soto, 23, of Orlando, and Deidre Shellman, 16, of Tampa, were treated for minor injuries at University Community Hospital, officials said. Both were expected to be released Tuesday night, they said.

The other 14 passengers were unharmed during the accident, officials said.

The ride, which has been open for a month, will remain closed until authorities determine why the Land Rover tipped over, Hoeppner said.

Rhino Rally was inspected shortly before it opened by in-house engineers, who said the ride was safe, Hoeppner said. An independent firm also inspected the exhibit, he said.
Copyright © 2001, The Associated Press

Two Words:

Operator Error

Some More Words:

Driving too fast on Rally course may tip Land Rovor

(was glad, though, to hear no one was seriously injured)

I think you're right ... those vehicles are even more top heavy than your average SUV it looks like :)

I'm a bit bummed, because I really wanted to ride this next Tuesday ... maybe (I doubt it though) they can get everything straightened out by then ...

I'm bummed too.

They spent 3 years building it, and now look at what they get. The 2nd half of the ride rarely works because it's so complicated, and now a flip over. Can you say lawsuit?

Forget about the simulator and adventure rides. Give us tall, full length, roller coasters that work.
Build an Intamin Giga Coaster, like Millennium Force.

MF will be the #1 coaster again this year, because nothing has come along to wow us this year. All you see on the other messages boards are rumors about what will be built for next year. Noone is excited about any of the rides this year. We're all waiting for next year.

BGT already has a train that passes thru the animal area. They have the extra pay to feed the animals tour. They have the walk thru area where you can look directly at tigers, hippos, and other animals seperated by glass. So why do they need another complicated ride to get us close to the animals? If someone really wants to get that close, then go on the extra pay tour and feed the giraffes. Sure, I'm venting, but I just don't get it. They've got enough ways to get us close to the animals. We passed within 5 feet of a zebra, wow, it looks just like a horse, big deal. I didn't touch it, so what's the differance of passing within a few feet of it, and being seperated by glass? None.

All of the Intamin rides have no problems, and they're major hits. All the parks need to go back to the drawing board and listen to what the people want. And right now it's any ride made by Intamin. Giga Coaster (MF), drop ride (Acrophobia), or shuttle coaster (Vertical Velocity). Intamin rules.

you said that right. All theme parks need to do is bring new old fun ie coasters. How do you think six flags are doing well? They have old type fun with new twists. They don't take years and years designing things. They do a great job at what they do. Bush gardens needs to do the same.

The thing that puzzles me is that the spot where the accident is said to have happened is on fairly flat terrain.

There is a spot just past the elephants near the beginning of the ride where the road has been purposely graded to tilt first to one side then to the other. If the Land Rover doesn't tip over there, why would it tip over between the rhinos and the crocs?

I wonder if there was some additional element not mentioned in the news articles, such as a sudden swerve by the driver, passenger misconduct, or maybe a charging rhino (just kidding).

Based on a story in the St. Pete paper, it looks like a sudden swerve by the driver was the most likely cause of the tipover.

Actually, the area around where the accident happened has a tight turn. If you take it too fast or move the wrong way, an accident is sure to happen.

No, not necessarily. If the operator "over" drove the vehicle, it would be operator error. If it's a "manually" operated vehicle, the operator has the ulimate responsibility. If the road wasn't correct, or gave way, or the vehicle was too top heavy for the course, then that would be a design issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter