Rhino running loose at AK Safari

I've seen the Rinos out with seemingly no barricade between them and the road so many times that I thought it was just how they did it. I know one time they told us that their sight was so poor they couldn't see us, and that they just trained them to be used to the noise of the trucks.

I wonder who gets to "put him back," and how they go about that?? :scratchin

I'm pretty sure that he is the one who decides to go back, though I'm sure they have ways of enticing him. I think there is a signal they use when they bring the animals in for the night, and the animals associate that with food, since they get their dinner then too.

There is a sign at our local zoo that says something to the effect of "please don't tease the rhinos." I'm thinking, "they really need a sign for that?"

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that he is the one who decides to go back, though I'm sure they have ways of enticing him. I think there is a signal they use when they bring the animals in for the night, and the animals associate that with food, since they get their dinner then too.

There is a sign a our local zoo that says something to the effect of "please on't tease the rhinos." I'm thinking, "they really need a sign for that?"
:rotfl2: You know there's someone out there who did SOMETHING to make them need that sign. People are *special* sometimes.

the white rhinos are always free roaming. They can move from the mud pit and cross the road and wander around near the lion kopi, by the ostrich eggs, and several other areas. The black rhinos are in an enclosed area, and the lion kopi is also enclosed. I don't really understand the story here - they can come up to the ride vehicles all the time. There is no place to put them back to.

the white rhinos are always free roaming. They can move from the mud pit and cross the road and wander around near the lion kopi, by the ostrich eggs, and several other areas. The black rhinos are in an enclosed area, and the lion kopi is also enclosed. I don't really understand the story here - they can come up to the ride vehicles all the time. There is no place to put them back to.
The picture I saw from last week had one of the rhinos in the big savanah area where they are not suppose to be.

This is amazing and how the safari SHOULD be otherwise get rid of the trucks and just have everyone walk through enclosures, ie: where the tigers are.

It could very well have been the new male. I did the Rhino tour on December 1st, and the keepers said they were getting ready to introduce him to the Safari. He hadn’t been responding to the cues as well (because he didn’t have much experience with them-he had spent his life first with his mom, then just his brother). They eventually planned to just release him and the girls and hope he would follow them and learn from them.

We had a black rhino come right up to us when we did safari last week. The driver said not to do anything to startle it. I could almost touch it.
It was definitely a white rhino. The black rhinos are solitary and in the enclosure at the beginning of the Safari-their barn is on that side of the Safari. The white rhinos are the ones that are more social and can be out closer to the vehicles.

Part of the Rhino tour was to help with their training to be around humans. And make sure they remember to obey instructions results in food. They also rotate thru the rhinos so all of them may not be out at one time. It is just up to the rhinos and keepers. There are sort of bonded pairs: a couple mother/daughter sets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter