Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know why the starting group number is different every day? Why was it 5 yesterday and 12 today? 🧐

ROTR didn’t open until about 9:30(ish) today. I had the app open and ready to go right at 8:00. It took a few tries to get through but eventually I did - around 8:02. I got BG 130. Needless to say, I won’t be riding it today. I’d hoped to but it’s not a big deal. I come every Sunday and will try again next week. Crowds were pretty brutal today. More on that later.

No luck for me on a brand new Galaxy S10, with 5 bars of signal.

I launched the app right at 8, and my buttons never turned red at all. I never even had the option. Button was greyed out with "loading" showing. The My Status button wasn't even red. I tried refreshing, closing and relaunching. Nothing. I'm pissed and my son was practically in tears saying "the phone is not working" while everyone around us was cheering. :guilty:

I calmed him down and we got in line to renew his DAS. The CM asked if we got a BG and I told her what happened. She said it happens to a lot of people and the system is a complete crapshoot. She told me this BG system won't be in place very long. She said it should go straight standby sooner rather than later. She then hooked us up with an earlier return time for MFSR since we had such a disappointing morning so far.

We will try again Tuesday but I don't know what else we can do if my phone/app just decides to hang up again. I'm the only one with a phone. I followed all the advice I've read about how to optimize my chances, but when the app is unresponsive, that all goes out the window.

I feel you. Going on Friday - I went to the "My Status" page and kept refreshing. When 8am came, I refreshed, and "Join Boarding Group" wouldn't activate. I had to restart the app, and finally it worked. In all that time, I was able to secure BG 110. It was def 8:01 by the time I got it.

Yesterday was a different story. We were by the flagpole and right at 8am I was able to select "Join Boarding Group" selected everyone in my party and when I clicked "Continue" a red message floated up from the bottom saying "No more boarding groups." What was crazy is that people were getting BGs AFTER I got this message. I tried again to the same result. DW and DD apps weren't responsive and they couldn't even get "Join Boarding Group" to activate.

Another daughter mentioned this morning that she's in no hurry to try and get a BG again at 8. Hearing all the cheering around you, while you're SOL is a tough pill to take. I had to agree with her, but I'll work on her to try again.

Yep, updated. I was able to play along from home just fine the past 2 days. The app just completely froze in the park.

I would bet the difference was being in the park. The signal strength of your phone doesn’t tell you much if the issue is the number of folks trying to use the same tower. Cell phone towers have a back haul connection (the typically wired pipe from the cell tower to the Internet) that can be overloaded if too much is happening.

Our plan is to spread out our group some and probably have half the group near the Train station (so we can have two folks on cell and one on the Esplanade WiFi ) and the other half down at the Starbucks (again two on cell and one on the Starbucks WiFi). I really think performing this away from the crowds is the best bet to keeping the app responsive. (I realize in your case you don’t have the luxury of multiple groups. So sorry for your son 😟)

Ooh! Good idea. Eager to hear your findings eventually (if you plan on sharing them?).

Unfortunately quite a bit of the communication that takes place appears to be happening over Websocket connections instead of standard HTTP(S) connections. The on phone HTTP proxy I am using doesn’t seem to handle Websockets very well, but the desktop version of Charles has worked better for me in the past. Unfortunately, I haven’t been around my desktop the last few days to try that.

If I can find the time to get it worked out, I definitely plan on sharing my findings in a way that may help folks get BG’s faster. Of course, anything I find will be limited to the iOS version (unless the Android app works exactly the same way).

Yeah; the more connections into the server is probably the best way forward to avoid technical delays. Wifi here; separate carriers there....everywhere a duck duck .

special groups again this AM. I wonder how they are doing VIP tours with ROTR here.

Yeah; the more connections into the server is probably the best way forward to avoid technical delays. Wifi here; separate carriers there....everywhere a duck duck .

special groups again this AM. I wonder how they are doing VIP tours with ROTR here.
I think same as DHS, you have to have a boarding group. The vip tour doesn’t give you access.

Opening Day for RotR at DL was Friday - 2 days ago.
And they did do things a little differently (opened the turnstiles extra-early, slowly moved everyone throughout the park as it got more and more crowded) to make sure everyone who arrived early was able to at least be through the turnstiles before park opening (thank goodness). They were never going to be able to accommodate everyone who wanted to ride on opening day, but at least they gave them the chance.

Well, except for those not using smartphones -- they might have to figure out a different way to get passes distributed to people without smartphones so more than ~10 people at each kiosk have a shot.

I would be willing to try and help someone in the park get a boarding group from home, just to get first hand experience in doing it. However, I wouldn't expect anyone to trust me with their ticket numbers who doesn't know me.

They went gangbusters in the first half hour and then stopped calling groups. Did they break down or just front load the queue?

3 Days and able to get the pass while at Disneyland. Here is what I did...
- Turn off WiFi and use LTE from phone, provider (Google FI for me)
- Only have the tickets you are going to use for the day scanned into your phone.
- Test the connection and that all passes are available by reserving a FP. It's okay if you don't have MaxPass as you will still be able to tell which tickets are available.
- Close Apps before park opening
- Open just the Disneyland App a few minutes before park opening.
- Select Find Out More button under the ROTR image on the Home Page
- Select My Status (you won't be able to choose Join a Boarding Pass yet)
- When park is open go back one screen to My Status / Join Boarding Group Page
- If you cannot select Boarding Group select My Status again and see if the Join Boarding Group is open, if not go back one screen. Repeat the following until you see the Join Boarding Group button appear.

I think what the main issue is that most guests are selecting Find Out More from the Home Screen at park opening which is bogging down the system. By already being one screen ahead, you are avoiding that first step.

I felt really bad yesterday as these three adults near were so excited to be at Disneyland for the ride and as people started to cheer, you could tell they were stuck at a loading screen on all three of their devices. I have learned not to cheer as many people who are there are not getting a BGP.

ME

Last edited:
I’ve been reading on the WDW thread that most people are getting boarding groups now. It makes sense that Florida as increased the capacity over time and DL will get there too.

That's great news! I think that as the daily ROTR operations progress as time goes on, the same will happen at DL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter