• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't figure out how to get my android to show the seconds on the clock display without having a secondary clock app open. But honestly, the times I've played at home I have been watching the clock roll to 8:59 or 7:59 and just counted 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi and so on until I'm about 10 seconds away and then everyone in the group then knows it is super close and has their trigger finger ready. If I can figure out how to display it on the default clock at the top of my screen then cool but I don't think it's going to matter much.

In my case, with an app that does refresh, even when run in the background, the main question is not if I can tell to the last second what time it is but if my venerable granddaddy of iPhones can hold its own against all those that are much newer, fancier, and slicker within those first 30 to 50 secs (after the clock has jumped to 8:00 or 9:00 or whatever the official opening time is that day) when it comes to getting enough signal strength for doing its thing (so exact knowledge of the time down to the second or lack thereof is not MY bottleneck and toggling between the Disney app & a virtual clock may in my case hurt rather than help).

This is almost my exact situation! DH and I both have 6s iPhones, DD has SE which is basically a 6s and we are on AT&T. (Well DD is actually on Simple mobile, haven’t even heard of a single person using that for a BG so she will try being near a Wifi hotspot.) I am also mostly concerned about my phone being slow or malfunctioning.

I think I finally understand about watching the second hand—it seems some phones don’t refresh automatically so you have to launch right when the clock hits the hour. Playing from home it looks like I just need the app open and then I can click through at the appropriate time. Of course this is on home WiFi so who knows what will happen in the parks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why do you think there would be less people coming in the morning? What I would instead expect is the same amount of people coming in the morning and competing for less BG-spots, hence more heartbroken, disappointed people. There’s actually a thread specifically dedicated to brainstorming and speculation about this:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/boarding-group-issues-resolution-thoughts.3787676/

I think less people would show up at opening knowing they could try later in the day. Thanks for the link I’ll check it out

We never relaunch my app within 10minutes of drop in fear of disney server doing weird things.

Using: Primary Phone: Samsung Note 10+; 2ndary Phone: Samsung S10; 3rd backup: ipad mini4 (slowest performer and rarely keeps up)
Party group other members: iphone 11Max x2; iphone 8

Prep: Morning routine:
Get to gates
Find fast ping and download times with open signal
hard restart phone
launch time.gov to verify phone timing
10min prior: relaunch Disney app - double check tickets refreshed and populated
5min prior; close out Bluetooth; wifi; close out all apps except time.gov and disney app
30sec prior watch time.gov to
10sec; start my head metronome counting
5sec; switch to app
0sec; find out more > Join Boarding Group > (if not red) hit Mystatus and Join a Boarding Group ==== had to do the last step once to date.

--worked for me 3of3 times on site with groups 1-26. Sticking with it until it fails :)

Last edited:
We never relaunch my app within 10minutes of drop in fear of disney server doing weird things.

Prep:
Morning routine:
Get to gates
Find fast ping and download times with open signal
hard restart phone
launch time.gov to verify phone timing
10min prior: relaunch Disney app - double check tickets refreshed and populated
5min prior; close out Bluetooth; wifi; close out all apps except time.gov and disney app
30min prior watch time.gov to
10sec; start my head metronome counting
5sec; switch to app
0sec; find out more

--worked for me 3of3 times on site with groups 1-26. Sticking with it until it fails :)
THANK YOU!!

I think less people would show up at opening knowing they could try later in the day. Thanks for the link I’ll check it out

I do think many people might see this another way: if I show up early, I get two cracks at getting a BG.

But it would be nice for people who can't or won't get to the park at opening time.

Probably off topic but what are the best phone charging sticks out there for the money?

There's one from Walmart that's less than $10. It's pretty simple - just a couple of batteries in parallel and a simple charging circuit. If it's lost or stops working it's just $10 for another one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-Portable-Battery-Power-Bank-6700-Mah-Black/945288001
It doesn't look fancy and I had to fix mine up (long story) but I think mine just had an assembly problem where a wire's connection to the battery broke after I dropped it.

There's one from Walmart that's less than $10. It's pretty simple - just a couple of batteries in parallel and a simple charging circuit. If it's lost or stops working it's just $10 for another one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-Portable-Battery-Power-Bank-6700-Mah-Black/945288001
It doesn't look fancy and I had to fix mine up (long story) but I think mine just had an assembly problem where a wire's connection to the battery broke after I dropped it.
I got this one from Amazon. So far so good, and it can charge my iPhone 7 two and a half times before it has to be recharged. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CU1EC6Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I got this one from Amazon. So far so good, and it can charge my iPhone 7 two and a half times before it has to be recharged. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CU1EC6Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I also have this same one from Amazon, get the same 2.5 charges for an iPhone X. Another plus for me is it will charge an iPad Mini for about half a full charge, which some portable chargers cannot do.

We had this one, too--or perhaps the previous generation of this model? (it was only 3300 mAh I think). It crapped out on us earlier that we'd have liked, but it got heavy use. I'd consider it again, but we ended up getting a cheaper brand this time around.

We snagged an Insignia with two ports so we can charge two devices at once. It says 3 times before needing recharging. 8600 Mah. $19 guess we'll see.

I wonder what kind of boarding groups people are getting by being in the hub or on Main Street. Is being far away from other guests extremely crucial? I’m just so used to enjoying that position way up in the hub at rope drop for our first attraction. But I guess for many people this is the most importance. Securing that BG.

I wonder what kind of boarding groups people are getting by being in the hub or on Main Street. Is being far away from other guests extremely crucial? I’m just so used to enjoying that position way up in the hub at rope drop for our first attraction. But I guess for many people this is the most importance. Securing that BG.
They've been dropping the rope a little before park open (10-15 minutes)...so depending on where your first attraction is, if there is good service there, you can position yourself to grab a BG and then ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter