Rise of the Resistance...ride discussion (spoilers)

I avoided all spoilers before riding in Oct, (which was SO, so, so very stressful worrying about getting that BG,) Got BG 18. Must've been bad day for the ride though, as they didn't start boarding until 10:30ish, and BG called around noon, and I think they only got into the 60s. What I am realizing now that is that I think we completely missed the preshow. We did not get to see Rey's hologram, or anything from Poe, nothing like that. , so is the Rey hologram the preshow???? We're going back in Nov, and will try for BGs again, and hope we get on at least one of our HS days, and hope we get the full ride.

The first preshow is in a cave-like room with a BB8 animatronic, Rey's hologram, and Poe on the TV screen. Next is the large transport ship with the pilot animatronic (same species as Admiral Akbar) with Poe and some other pilots on the screen as you are caught in a beam from the Empire ship and pulled in. Then the giant hangar room with all the stormtrooper statues/animatronics. Then the interrogation / color assignments. Then the "holding cell" with video screen footage of Kylo and the wall being "cut through" by the rebels. And then finally on to the actual ride vehicles for the rest of the experience.

I've found a few photos of the new plexiglass-ed briefing room and transport. It looks like people are right next to each other now in the briefing room. Is this normal now? Can you request to practice safe social distancing here and on the ride vehicle? The pictures I've seen of the transport don't appear to have people any closer than before.

I've found a few photos of the new plexiglass-ed briefing room and transport. It looks like people are right next to each other now in the briefing room. Is this normal now? Can you request to practice safe social distancing here and on the ride vehicle? The pictures I've seen of the transport don't appear to have people any closer than before.
The changes to the hold rooms and attraction have been done to allow more people I don't think your request for more space will be granted, but you can always ask

Have you gone up 2 different ways in the AT-AT room? There's one way where you go to the side, and the other where you go in front of one and it's starting right at you
Both times we rode, we went to the front of the AT-AT (more awesome than the side IMO after watching a video of the other path) and the ride included all "A mode" elements. The Kylo animatonic worked perfectly both times. His approach and light saber through the ceiling of the elevator both worked as well.

Since riding, I checked out a bunch of POV videos and saw the "B mode" with video of Kylo in the TIE interceptor. Not bad, but not as epic as the wall blowing out.

Both times we rode, we went to the front of the AT-AT (more awesome than the side IMO after watching a video of the other path) and the ride included all "A mode" elements. The Kylo animatonic worked perfectly both times. His approach and light saber through the ceiling of the elevator both worked as well.

Since riding, I checked out a bunch of POV videos and saw the "B mode" with video of Kylo in the TIE interceptor. Not bad, but not as epic as the wall blowing out.
This is so elusive for us. Three times and not once. Hoping on our trip next week we can get a BG under the new process and also ride from this perspective.
Sounds like an awesome experience!
(We've seen both and B mode isn't bad though IMO, DH picked up on it right away, it was our second time riding and I didn't catch it right off)

One of the things that I noticed since being back home...

I went back and watched some of the promos for the ride that came out before it opened and they clearly enhanced the blaster fire, explosions, and Kylo's light saber coming through the ceiling with special effects.

The effects in the ride are awesome, but going back and watching the ads, I wonder if there are some people who went in expecting it to be "as seen on TV" and might be slightly disappointed that those images were enhanced.

The one thing that I think they could do to really sell the effect, is make it look more like glowing, melting metal around where Kylo is cutting in. And maybe make the opening slightly rough/jagged. It's a perfect arc (we know why), but the smooth edges really highlight that. It would have been pretty simple to make the space behind the light saber's path less precise and use some lighting/projection to give it the look of being super-heated.

That said, I really like how they simulated the uncontrolled, raw, sparking energy of Kylo's light saber.

I know the state of the world that we’re in, but this was my first time with the additional “walk in closets” plexiglass as I had gone two weeks ago with the numbers. It broke my heart a little to see the attraction like that, and think so many are seeing it in that state for their first time. We were placed in the first room with no view of BB-8, which would be sad for a family who had never been. Second room was fine. We got really lucky with how we ended up.

We were the last to exit the transport, so there was no parties for awhile while we were being prepped for the interrogation room. The other vehicle ended up having two groups but we had just us 3 so we were able to get our own car. However, we were originally sorted to be in the back row. But watching the other vehicle go back into unload...we could see their reflections so I’m not sure how much we would’ve enjoyed it.

I’ll definitely look forward to when this is able to return in its former glory.

yeah, hubby and I finally watched a ride through video to see how much we missed on our only ride. A whole damn lot! So I remember walking by Poe's ship, and then then next thing I remember is walking into the stormtrooper room, from the side. We saw absolutely nothing from Rey, Poe, Lt Bec. NONE of that, so probably 1/3 of the whole ride....maybe that's why we felt it was lacking something.......
sure hope we get the whole experience if/when we get to ride in a few weeks!

yeah, hubby and I finally watched a ride through video to see how much we missed on our only ride. A whole damn lot! So I remember walking by Poe's ship, and then then next thing I remember is walking into the stormtrooper room, from the side. We saw absolutely nothing from Rey, Poe, Lt Bec. NONE of that, so probably 1/3 of the whole ride....maybe that's why we felt it was lacking something.......
sure hope we get the whole experience if/when we get to ride in a few weeks!

So sounds like the transport ship wasn't working for your run. Sucks. I really like that part.

Question about the transport ship... has anyone ridden after dark? When you boarded the transport, was it daylight again through the view ports? Or did they actually go to the trouble of changing the beginning sequence to reflect the lighting outdoors since you were just standing outside?

Are the omissions here to stay as long as COVID precautions are in the parks or are they just bad luck due to ride malfunctions?

When we were there (just days before plexiglass was installed), we got the full experience. I think if elements are missing, that's just based on malfunctions and not a question of COVID/capacity.

In fact, in my earlier comment, I mentioned about the lightsaber through the ceiling not seeming to glow like melted metal, but I just watched a recent ride video and it appeared that an effect like I described actually was there. So maybe that one effect wasn't at 100% and I didn't realize it at the time.

Last edited:
Just got off the ride for the first time...it was good but pretty bummed we didn’t get the whole preshow/transport vehicle part. It is weird to just walk on to the empire ship. Is that a mechanical thing or a Covid thing?

Just got off the ride for the first time...it was good but pretty bummed we didn’t get the whole preshow/transport vehicle part. It is weird to just walk on to the empire ship. Is that a mechanical thing or a Covid thing?
Mechanical

If it’s storming, I wonder if they can’t do the transport ship? It wasn’t covered when you leave the cave room iirc.

Aw man, we rode today and looks like we missed a lot of those preshows. Really sucks. I really don’t feel like doing another day in HS (it was just so crowded today and every line was so so long) but I’m torn knowing we missed out on that.

Question about the transport ship... has anyone ridden after dark? When you boarded the transport, was it daylight again through the view ports? Or did they actually go to the trouble of changing the beginning sequence to reflect the lighting outdoors since you were just standing outside?

I can’t answer to RotR, but our impression was that MFSR seemed to very much match sunset when it was sunset outside

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter