Road trip from Toronto that doesn't include Montreal, Quebec or Ottawa

Frwinkley

DIS Veteran
We live in Pittsburgh, PA, about a 5 hour drive from Toronto and would like to plan a roadtrip that included Toronto, along with some other Canadian destinations. We've been to Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Kingston, The Thousand Islands, and Niagara Falls.

Is there are place in addition to Toronto we should consider?

Trip would be sometime this summer (anywhere between mid June-mid July).

We are not adverse to moving hotels a few times if activities warrant it. Probably a trip of 7-8 days.

We love walking in small downtowns, shopping, dining, and are avid photographers. We also love beautiful scenery, hiking, exploring.

Stratford and London look pretty interesting. I'm haven't looked at the other suggestions yet.

I'd second Prince Edward County, especially if you enjoy wine, There are a lot of wineries in the area as well as B&B's.

Wasaga Beach..Collingwood

Collingwood and Blue Mountain is worth checking out too
These are all in same area. About 1 hour to 1.5 north of Toronto. All the things you mentioned are here...plus micro brews, scienic caves, small town charm, worlds longest fresh water beach, lots of different accomidations. Good luck wherever you go.

Oh my goodness! Just beautiful!

Any idea what kind of timetable we should work with? I’m thinking maybe skipping Toronto all together, since we’ve been there before. Stratford is only a 6 hour drive from Pittsburgh. How would you spend your time if you had 8 nights? We are not adverse to driving and don’t mind staying in multiple locations.

Oh my goodness! Just beautiful!

Any idea what kind of timetable we should work with? I’m thinking maybe skipping Toronto all together, since we’ve been there before. Stratford is only a 6 hour drive from Pittsburgh. How would you spend your time if you had 8 nights? We are not adverse to driving and don’t mind staying in multiple locations.
Sorry dont have a lot of info about Stratford,,,lots of others on here would. But depending on time of year,,,check in advance and they are well known for their plays. The Stratford festival is know all around with great productions.

Stratford is an expensive town to stay and dine in, especially during the Stratford festival. But it has a fantastic downtown with so many streets of interesting shops to explore. We’ve only just started going and we have been really enjoying it. St Jacob’s is nearby and also very charming. Love the gigantic Farmer’s Market.

If going to Stratford, go a little further west to Grand Bend. If you like hiking, consider going to the Pinery Provincial Park. Either stay in an Airbnb nearby or in a yurt type thing inside the park. And DON’T miss the sunset on the beach either in the Park or on the Grand Bend beach. I have seen sunsets in many places all over the world and this ranks as one of the best. Simply stunning there on the beach.

You can also travel a bit further north to the Muskokas. Simply stunning with amazing hiking up there. (Do some research to find the scenic hikes as some are amazing and some are just ok). Plus, it is classic Canadian cottage country.

To me, it is Canada at its best. Miles of wilderness dotted with pretty small towns and so many lakes. The Muskokas are one of my favourite places in the world.

That said, if you do Stratford and Grand Bend, it makes more sense to travel up to Collingwood/Wasaga Beach and Tobermory, passing through the pretty town of Goderich.

Tobermore has absolutely amazing hikes and the scenery is like nowhere else. Impossibly blue waters and the Grotto at Bruce Peninsula National Park is definitely a sight to see (need reservations in peak summer months). Halfway Log Dump sounds awful but is one of the best hiking trails with tons of stunning views plus its free to visit.

If you like sweets consider adding a Butter Tart tour into you itinerary if you're going to be in the Muskokas. Lots of great bakeries with amazing Butter Tarts. Then hike to walk them off.

If you like sweets consider adding a Butter Tart tour into you itinerary if you're going to be in the Muskokas. Lots of great bakeries with amazing Butter Tarts. Then hike to walk them off.
Oh yes! Better yet, if you drive past London, Ontario on the way up - stop into Black Walnut Bakery (they have 2 locations). They do magic with pastry crust and they have my favourite butter tarts anywhere. And their pies - soooo good! My DD is meh about quiches but goes nuts about theirs. Insanely good.

I have had butter tarts at more bakeries than I should admit and theirs definitely stand out :)

Everything you've recommended looks terrific!

Now to figure out where to stay, how many nights, etc.

Lot's of great recommendations so far. We typically go to the Kawartha's in the summer but the Muskoka's are a must visit if you're avid photographers.

The other spots that were mentioned that we love are Tobermory and Collingwood. Tobermory has crystal clear water and is incredibly beautiful. We really like Thornbury which is a small town 10 minutes from Collingwood.

Another town to possibly add to your list is Elora, which is quite nice as well. The town and the gorge can be seen in half a day if you're pressed for time and there are some nice shops and dining options there. We've never eaten at the Elora Mill but have heard great things from others that have.

We got married at the Elora Mill :). Beautiful spot!

Lot's of great recommendations so far. We typically go to the Kawartha's in the summer but the Muskoka's are a must visit if you're avid photographers.

The other spots that were mentioned that we love are Tobermory and Collingwood. Tobermory has crystal clear water and is incredibly beautiful. We really like Thornbury which is a small town 10 minutes from Collingwood.

Another town to possibly add to your list is Elora, which is quite nice as well. The town and the gorge can be seen in half a day if you're pressed for time and there are some nice shops and dining options there. We've never eaten at the Elora Mill but have heard great things from others that have.

Stratford, ON, London, On and St Jacobs, ON to name a few. Google each city to see if what it has to offer is of any interest to you.
Elora Gorge is a nice half day diversion to the east if you're going around that area.

Pelee Island might be a good place to go. I believe there is a ferry you can take from Ohio to get there.

Not sure what border you are crossing at but if you start at sarnia you could do grand bend ( my home , our beach is consistently in the top 3 and amazing sunsets ), then bayfield…cute town where they film many movies , goderich then over to Stratford ..after Stratford head to tobemory. After that you could wrap around towards blue mountain/ collingwood . Then Toronto.

OP said they were in Pittsburgh, so most likely the crossing is either in Buffalo or the Falls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter