ROFR Thread April to June 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on RIV resale vs direct @ 100 points September UY
Ideal resale deal $120 with no points for 2021, 50 points for 2022 and 100 points for 2023 and beyond

Direct $207-$14=$193x100=$19300
19300+532cc=19832
19832-396(Disney visa rewards)=19436
19436-417(1/2 dues 2022)=$19019
19019-150x21(rent150 extra pts)=$15869

Resale &12000+$650cc=$12650

Difference $3219

I know $3219 is not big/small amount but RIV has 48 years left. Difference is smaller with 200+direct.
Buying any resort just to stay at that resort means you really need to look at point charts.
100points gets you 7 nights in summer at some resorts but RIV only 5 nights or 4 in a preferred room.

If I buy September UY I’d get 100 points from 2021 and 50 more in 2022 a resale doesn’t have.
Ah, gotcha. Sorry I read that wrong. I don’t have experience renting points out but if you would be able to rent out the 2021 points before they expire (would Disney let you bank them since you’re buying after the bank date?), then I agree that the direct deal is a better option in the long-run.

Buying any resort just to stay at that resort means you really need to look at point charts.
100points gets you 7 nights in summer at some resorts but RIV only 5 nights or 4 in a preferred room.

That makes sense if you are only staying at one resort your whole trip. But if this is an add-on or means of getting a HS/Epcot/Skyliner resort for a portion of the stay, I think that is less of a concern.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry I read that wrong. I don’t have experience renting points out but if you would be able to rent out the 2021 points before they expire (would Disney let you bank them since you’re buying after the bank date?), then I agree that the direct deal is a better option in the long-run.
They will bank for you when you buy direct.

Thoughts on RIV resale vs direct @ 100 points September UY
Ideal resale deal $120 with no points for 2021, 50 points for 2022 and 100 points for 2023 and beyond

Direct $207-$14=$193x100=$19300
19300+532cc=19832
19832-396(Disney visa rewards)=19436
19436-417(1/2 dues 2022)=$19019
19019-150x21(rent150 extra pts)=$15869

Resale &12000+$650cc=$12650

Difference $3219

I know $3219 is not big/small amount but RIV has 48 years left. Difference is smaller with 200+direct.
I've tried explaining this to brokers when sellers rejected my offers in the $100-115/pt range for contracts in the 200-250pt range that are going direct for mid $160-170s/pt with the current incentives). Granted, some sellers are underwater and can't go below the 140-160/pt that they're listing on the market but they have to know that informed folks won't be buying contracts that high.

MICKIMINI (SELLER)---$139-$7557-50-SSR-Sep-0/20, 0/21, 0/22, 40/23-Close After 10/25- sent 5/24, taken 6/20

DVC takes another SSR. I planned to hold off on listing due to the delayed closing, however the economic downturn changed my mind. I feel bad for the buyer but pleased to sell at a profit and know I'm not watching prices tank while I politely sit on the sideline...
Can I ask who you sold with?

I've tried explaining this to brokers when sellers rejected my offers in the $100-115/pt range for contracts in the 200-250pt range that are going direct for mid $160-170s/pt with the current incentives). Granted, some sellers are underwater and can't go below the 140-160/pt that they're listing on the market but they have to know that informed folks won't be buying contracts that high.
They’ll just wait for a uninformed buyer.
A lot of listings are down to $140 or less now. A lot of them are on the market for a few months.

That makes sense if you are only staying at one resort your whole trip. But if this is an add-on or means of getting a HS/Epcot/Skyliner resort for a portion of the stay, I think that is less of a concern.
To clarify, If you buy resale at RIV and that's your only contract then you are only staying at RIV and 100 points will not get you very far especially with borrowing at 50%. You can put your own figures in table below as I did this about 9 months ago but it kind of explains what I mean.
1F0F43CB-965F-46BD-ACA8-40E5D05D00D9.png

Last edited:
To clarify, If you buy resale at RIV and that's your only contract then you are only staying at RIV and 100 points will not get you very far especially with banking at 50%. You can put your own figures in table below as I did this about 9 months ago but it kind of explains what I mean.
View attachment 678245

I think you meant to say borrowing at 50%!

They’ll just wait for a uninformed buyer.
A lot of listings are down to $140 or less now. A lot of them are on the market for a few months.
The Dec UY sellers haven't gotten the message. Some of the 200+ pt contracts are still at the 145-155 range. Many of which don't have banked points, one just came on the market without any points until 2023 at $145/pt! For 10-20 dollars more per point you can get 2021 points, blue card, and most importantly unrestricted points. Rent out the 2021 points and you have the same price as resale!

Those of us on disboards are thoughtful buyers and sellers IMO. We have our own *formulas* and are more likely to wait for what we want and withstand the rigors of resale, sometimes repeatedly to get what we want.

I doubt most sellers think about their contracts competing with other sellers, other brokers or realize there is an educated audience waiting to pounce on a deal. They just want to sell. I try to put a listing out when there isn't much competition for the UY and/or contract size. Out of our last four contracts sold, I think all were u/a in 48 hours and DVC bought back three and one is still in ROFR so no worries about buyers backing out in a down economy...it did happen once.

DH and I just had a discussion in the garage (his happy place) about potential deals at the end of the year (collectively 52 years of DVC experience at work). We've been flipping contracts bought cheap early in covid which were loaded, we rented points, used a couple years worth of points and are selling stripped into 2023 with extended closings and at (almost) top of the market prices. We'll take our initial equity, profits and with any luck pick up a few deals...rinse and repeat.

:rolleyes1

Those of us on disboards are thoughtful buyers and sellers IMO. We have our own *formulas* and are more likely to wait for what we want and withstand the rigors of resale, sometimes repeatedly to get what we want.

I doubt most sellers think about their contracts competing with other sellers, other brokers or realize there is an educated audience waiting to pounce on a deal. They just want to sell. I try to put a listing out when there isn't much competition for the UY and/or contract size. Out of our last four contracts sold, I think all were u/a in 48 hours and DVC bought back three and one is still in ROFR so no worries about buyers backing out in a down economy...it did happen once.

DH and I just had a discussion in the garage (his happy place) about potential deals at the end of the year (collectively 52 years of DVC experience at work). We've been flipping contracts bought cheap early in covid which were loaded, we rented points, used a couple years worth of points and are selling stripped into 2023 with extended closings and at (almost) top of the market prices. We'll take our initial equity, profits and with any luck pick up a few deals...rinse and repeat.

:rolleyes1
Still learning but I see possibilities.

The Dec UY sellers haven't gotten the message. Some of the 200+ pt contracts are still at the 145-155 range. Many of which don't have banked points, one just came on the market without any points until 2023 at $145/pt! For 10-20 dollars more per point you can get 2021 points, blue card, and most importantly unrestricted points. Rent out the 2021 points and you have the same price as resale!
Even if you buy direct Riviera, if and when you decide to sell, you'll be in the same position as these sellers because ownership after you will all be restricted. If a contract is only allowed to be used at one resort, I'm not sure if they're worth anything over $100pp at this point. But I guess worth and value is completely subjective and someone might see value in buying at $140+pp. I really can't wait to see if Poly-2 and VDH will have resale restrictions or not. I hope they don't, and Riviera will be the only DVC resort with these restrictions. That would be weird.

Even if you buy direct Riviera, if and when you decide to sell, you'll be in the same position as these sellers because ownership after you will all be restricted. If a contract is only allowed to be used at one resort, I'm not sure if they're worth anything over $100pp at this point. But I guess worth and value is completely subjective and someone might see value in buying at $140+pp. I really can't wait to see if Poly-2 and VDH will have resale restrictions or not. I hope they don't, and Riviera will be the only DVC resort with these restrictions. That would be weird.

I really think that if they don’t out restrictions on VDH or Poly tower, DVD will remove them from RIV. It won’t make any sense to keep them if they abandon that strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter