ROFR Thread July to Sept 2020 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to negotiate with a broker for a 60 day settlement or less because I don't want this to drag on. The broker just won't budge even when you inform them that Disney only requires their contractual minimum 30 days. The seem incredibly cognisant of not annoying the mouse. 90 days seems a bit silly to me. Closed on my house and moved in less time.

I'm looking at my VGC contract from January. It was dated 1/3/2020, closing on or before 3/13/2020 but not before 1/31/2020. It was a quick process because it was a slow time right after New Years. So it was about 70 days in the contract. Actual closing was around 1/28. My points were loaded 2/15.

I dodged a bullet. It was originally going to be a delayed closing around Mid May. I was fine with that because there was only 1 point for 2020 and I didn't plan to use them until 2021. The broker emailed me the next day and said when he reviewed their contracts and the points for their trip was from another contract, so no delayed closing needed. It hit me around June that if I would have had the delayed closing, it would have been a mess. Their May trip was obviously cancelled, so who knows what would have happened with those points. Probably would have had to cancel the contract.

I'm looking at my VGC contract from January. It was dated 1/3/2020, closing on or before 3/13/2020 but not before 1/31/2020. It was a quick process because it was a slow time right after New Years. So it was about 70 days in the contract. Actual closing was around 1/28. My points were loaded 2/15.

I dodged a bullet. It was originally going to be a delayed closing around Mid May. I was fine with that because there was only 1 point for 2020 and I didn't plan to use them until 2021. The broker emailed me the next day and said when he reviewed their contracts and the points for their trip was from another contract, so no delayed closing needed. It hit me around June that if I would have had the delayed closing, it would have been a mess. Their May trip was obviously cancelled, so who knows what would have happened with those points. Probably would have had to cancel the contract.

Mine is a VGC contract also!

Mine is a VGC contract also!

Love VGC, stayed there several times. Friends and I have a trip planned 9/30-10/4, which I am losing hope. Didn't book it until June and no points rooms. My friend is a cm, so she got me a GCH room with her discount (she's in a separate room with her son). I waitlisted and have been stalking the system. I got 9/30 & 10/1 (using my BWV points), so now only 2 nights cash. I am still waitlisted for the other 2 nights. Got flights from Pittsburgh for 5900 points each way on SW (or $91 each way). Sounds perfect except who knows if they will be open!

I am planning on booking next July this week coming up. We usually go out for D23 but who knows what is going on with that and I want to get something booked to use my new VGC points!

They can choose to just pull inventory as breakage though for free based on my understanding but maybe I am wrong about that and there is some limit?

My thought is simply that they are stocking up on some points to be ready for the 100 to 125 increase on direct sales so there is no wait list that occurs.

To clarify its not "free" but there is a cap in breakage income so once they blow past that then its all "free".
My understanding is that the breakage is only for rooms 60 days or less out.

the breakage limit is a specific %%anything below or up to that limit the home resort get a piece of the pie. Above the limit DVC takes it all. Every year the limit is reached.

maybe DVC is stocking up on the points for the potential increase but as long as they aren't taking way more than they are I’m not putting my faith into that one.

Hi all, wondering your thoughts on this.... Anyone think the recent ROFR activity (if tied to increase waitlist activity w/ direct sales) may be influenced by the new member “add-on tool” recently added to the DVC website? I know it’s not much of a “tool” (email to member services stating interest) but it’s the first time I’ve seen where it puts adding points on at all resorts front and center. Maybe some member didn’t know you could add on at sold out resorts until then and now they are seeing increased volume of requests causing DVD to acquire more points at these resorts? Just speculating. In this thread, a lot of you pointed out some really good, probable main drivers and just wondering if you think this has any impact.

Hi all, wondering your thoughts on this.... Anyone think the recent ROFR activity (if tied to increase waitlist activity w/ direct sales) may be influenced by the new member “add-on tool” recently added to the DVC website? I know it’s not much of a “tool” (email to member services stating interest) but it’s the first time I’ve seen where it puts adding points on at all resorts front and center. Maybe some member didn’t know you could add on at sold out resorts until then and now they are seeing increased volume of requests causing DVD to acquire more points at these resorts? Just speculating. In this thread, a lot of you pointed out some really good, probable main drivers and just wondering if you think this has any impact.
Really no one has any idea. All speculation. Your opinion is as good as anyone elses. Personally I think they are doing it just to give everyone a scare and then back to not buying anymore. I do not think they buy things to fulfill immediate demand as I think they pull from their inventory and once it gets below a certain point they will add back on. IF they were in the business of fulfilling immediate demand by buying back they would have bought back all the VGC contracts but they have not. Just my opinion.

IF they were in the business of fulfilling immediate demand by buying back they would have bought back all the VGC contracts but they have not.

Wondering if it being closed has something to do with it and possibly the new DL resort as well? They want those people to stick on the waitlist?

I know it sounds dumb but possibly DVC also has a % profit of the ROFR flip that has to happen as well? So even though they can flip it for $70/point the profit is only around 25% vs the SSR flip of 35%.

Also we don't know they haven't been clearing out the VGC list as well. I wonder if someone who is at the top of the WL or someone who recently bought a sub $200 resale can comment.

That's good to hear about the Poly...

HOWEVER, if you all are really my friends, none of you will be asking for 125 direct Poly points in the near future. :joker:
LOL - I have a 120 Point Poly contract in ROFR and was just thinking "thank god" I didn't tell the DVC guide I've been talking to about my resale contract :) . I'm sure they don't have time to be that sneaky, but why leave it to chance :)? I'm still pondering the major question of buying 100 points direct to get a blue card before the minimum goes up to 125, but I just can't make up my mind. Poly is my dream home resort, so if this passes ROFR, at least I'll have that!

Dang, where did you get that contract? We offered that in a similar contract and couldn't make the deal with us paying dues
That was already in the contract details prior to us bidding on it! I was very pleased with the price... especially as a 2057 expiration date! We aren’t too worried about Disney taking it back, as it is a fairly stripped contract... but you never know!!

I knew this was coming... The broker just contacted me to say that Disney took our contract. This contract has a delayed closing (Jan 2nd) and they still took it.

Cony---$92-$18990-200-SSR-Oct-0/18, 0/19, 208/20, 200/21-Seller pays dues- sent 7/7- taken 8/9

Last edited:
I have doubt at worst that SSR is treading water for price.

$100/pt should pass right now but I would be targeting $90-$95/pt.

If I wanted to be aggressive and didn't need a contract soon might even be going for $85-$88 area.
If rofr continues Saratoga will be back at 100/pt very quickly.

I knew this was coming... The broker just contacted me to say that Disney took our contract. This contract has a delayed closing (Jan 2nd) and they still took it.

Cony---$92-$18990-200-SSR-Oct-0/18, 0/19, 208/20, 200/21-Seller pays dues- sent 7/7- taken 8/9
So there is some information against the instant filling of waitlist buybacks.

Has Disney ever ROFR’d Vero Beach in recent history? I didn’t think so, but now I’m getting nervous too.

If rofr continues Saratoga will be back at 100/pt very quickly.

Meh if I was buying SSR I would just wait it out. There is not going to be enough direct buyers to prop up the ROFR. You will have quite a few direct purchases running in to the 125 increase and then it will drop off.

Everyone is getting so wrapped up in a few ROFRs taken.

Did you read the ROFR thread 90 contracts were processed last week direct vs the 500-600 that processed the first week of August in 2019.

Disney has how many resorts still closed because they can fill rooms? Plus they just cut hours even further in September.

ROFR kept prices up when there was full parks and lots of direct sales happening. It was also a single pass of ROFR taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter