ROL and Fantasmic Dining Packages

nikkispurrell

Earning My Ears
I have two small kids (1 and 3). How huge of a benefit is it to have these packages? I have some booked, but they are at weird times. We usually eat later in the day. Just wondering if it's worth it or if I should cancel and try the regular line and eat at a normal time. (We are going Easter week if that makes a difference :)

I would not try the regular line with two little ones especially during Easter week. People line up for Fant! at least an hour ahead of time. I don't have any experience with ROL yet, but from what I've read it seems stand-by seats are going to be hard to come by with the small size of the theater. If you're set on seeing the shows I would keep the packages. I would be a little concerned with the ages of your kids at Fant! It's very loud and dark which can be intimidating to younger ones. Only you know how your kids are, just wanted to give you a heads up before you spend all that on a package for a show that you may have to walk out of:rotfl:

Thanks for your response :)! We are on the dining plan so the package doesn't cost any extra for us. My kids have never been scared of anything I can think of but who knows how they will react once we're there.

This is why I've been adding/switching reservations for the past few months :) So hard to predict how they will be, and without ADR's during Easter getting reservations last minute will be tough.

I'd vote for doing the package for ROL.

We did the dining package a few weeks ago and it was perfect. We were able to go to the specific dining package entrance where a CM took and parked the stroller for us. Once we found a seat we were able to take turns leaving and using the bathrooms, getting snacks, etc. The standby line was long and wasn't let in as early. It was nice just to be able to sit and wait for the show rather than deal with the crowd.

It really depends on how beneficial having priority seating without having to get a FP is to you. And then if a FP, not having the availability to possibly obtain more than just 3 FP's that day. With RoL, it'll almost be impossible to see the show without the dining package or FP. Not as bad for Fantasmic, but you'd still need to line up super early.

I think the Dining Package is a MUST for ROL.

High demand + small theatre = early queue for standby. Sure, you could FP+, but then you tie up one of your 3 all day. You will NOT get it as a 4th FP+ right now (again, high demand + low supply).

I have two small kids (1 and 3). How huge of a benefit is it to have these packages? I have some booked, but they are at weird times. We usually eat later in the day. Just wondering if it's worth it or if I should cancel and try the regular line and eat at a normal time. (We are going Easter week if that makes a difference :)
You cannot bring your stroller(s) to your seats.

The shows begin after dark.

Young children will likely fall asleep.

So the real question is - is this worth it for you (because the kids won't know the difference).

So if I can ( don't have any other options I like for the 3rd FP) take a 3rd FP for ROL should I take it or would you still recommend a dinning package ? I guess seating wise is there a difference ?

With the dining package you sit on the Dino Land side, with FP you sit on the Asia side. If you're convinced you couldn't utilize another FP, or possibly want any additional after your 1st 3, that's the only difference I know of. Theming wise (from FP JB last Oct), the Asia side is more "decked" out in the stands (so to speak). However, I can't speak to the "view" for RoL.

With young children, FP+ for Kilimanjaro Safari, the Pandora River Ride, and then either the Meet & Greet or one of the shows is a good trio. I would absolutely want a FP+ for the river ride in Pandora; it has no height requirement and is new, which always equals bananas waits.

You cannot bring your stroller(s) to your seats.

The shows begin after dark.

Young children will likely fall asleep.

So the real question is - is this worth it for you (because the kids won't know the difference).
Should have mentioned this but we are pretty flexible since we have 3 adults. We planned to go back to the park for supper anyway. If the kids seem ok we'd try them. If one or both are tired one of us will take them back. Just wouldn't want to even attempt to have to wait in an 1h chaotic line if we can avoid it (which based on responses seems like that's what it would be) :)

If you don't have a dining pkg. or FP you will be standing, waiting for at least 2+ hours. That seems to be the wait if you really want a chance to see ROL standby. Our ds & family are just back, for some reason missed getting a ROL FP or dining pkg (actually ate at Tiffins) - waited for an hour in standby, and was nowhere near the entrance when the line was cut.

Thanks for your response :)! We are on the dining plan so the package doesn't cost any extra for us. My kids have never been scared of anything I can think of but who knows how they will react once we're there.

This is why I've been adding/switching reservations for the past few months :) So hard to predict how they will be, and without ADR's during Easter getting reservations last minute will be tough.

I second the concern for your little ones at Fantasmic! It really is scary for little ones.
And "adding/Switching reservations" during Easter week will not be tough, it will be impossible

We did the Fantasmic! dining package when my youngest boys were 2 and 4 and they loved it. It was one of their favorite parts of the trip. That said, it was November so the show was not too late. I had seen many reviews saying it could be scary for younger ones, but I really think it depends on your kids. I would recommend the dining package... we were able to jump on the Great Movie Ride with a 5 minute wait right before we walked to Fantasmic!, which was much better than standing in a line for worse seats.

Should have mentioned this but we are pretty flexible since we have 3 adults. We planned to go back to the park for supper anyway. If the kids seem ok we'd try them. If one or both are tired one of us will take them back. Just wouldn't want to even attempt to have to wait in an 1h chaotic line if we can avoid it (which based on responses seems like that's what it would be) :)
We've done what you're attempting - eat the Dining Package early and hope to return for a later show.

We've had some success and some failures.

You're looking for a hard-n-fast rule for how to enjoy this portion of your Disney vacation.

I'm here to tell you that children don't play by the rules.

I remind my daughter (now 8) that she was nearly perfect in ruining each and every sit-down meal we had at Disney. Parents and child were all very happy when she was old enough to finally go to Disney-childcare during dinner hours. Unfortunately, she feels she's too old for those activities now. However, she now eats fried oysters, blue cheese, and lamb chops - therefore, she no longer ruins our meals.

Nighttime activities with children requires a sense of humor and an understanding that no-rules apply - how else justify hundreds of young children riding Dumbo & Peter Pan at 11pm (or later).

We've done what you're attempting - eat the Dining Package early and hope to return for a later show.

We've had some success and some failures.

You're looking for a hard-n-fast rule for how to enjoy this portion of your Disney vacation.

I'm here to tell you that children don't play by the rules.

I remind my daughter (now 8) that she was nearly perfect in ruining each and every sit-down meal we had at Disney. Parents and child were all very happy when she was old enough to finally go to Disney-childcare during dinner hours. Unfortunately, she feels she's too old for those activities now. However, she now eats fried oysters, blue cheese, and lamb chops - therefore, she no longer ruins our meals.

Nighttime activities with children requires a sense of humor and an understanding that no-rules apply - how else justify hundreds of young children riding Dumbo & Peter Pan at 11pm (or later).
Thanks :) I've been to Magic Kingdom with my kids (last year right after Easter) so I'm not too worried and pretty flexible :) They are a year older now so hoping they are even better! Just wondering if the weird times are worth it, and sounds like it is :)

If you don't have a dining pkg. or FP you will be standing, waiting for at least 2+ hours. That seems to be the wait if you really want a chance to see ROL standby. Our ds & family are just back, for some reason missed getting a ROL FP or dining pkg (actually ate at Tiffins) - waited for an hour in standby, and was nowhere near the entrance when the line was cut.
Thanks! This is really useful. I'll definitely be doing the dining package.

I second the concern for your little ones at Fantasmic! It really is scary for little ones.
And "adding/Switching reservations" during Easter week will not be tough, it will be impossible
Thanks. Not sure if this Easter is different but I've changed my fantasmic package a few times. There are still many options available. Maybe a slow year hopefully? I can dream :)

We will leave if they get scared for certain. Or not go if they aren't up to it.

Thanks :) I've been to Magic Kingdom with my kids (last year right after Easter) so I'm not too worried and pretty flexible :) They are a year older now so hoping they are even better! Just wondering if the weird times are worth it, and sounds like it is :)
Yes, each trip gets better as the kid(s) gets older and understand more and more. It's been a pleasure.

I say this often around here:

Before our first vacation I read the part in the Guidebooks that explained, "Hotel swimming pool," is the most common response to 'favorite part of Disney Vacation' from children.

Guidebooks also suggested that kids have 4-hour windows of time before the stimuli needs to change. The interpersonal calculus has worked for us.

We're lucky - we know we're going back for another vacation, so we can leave on a given day before getting bored or tired. We are fine 'missing stuff' to make certain we have pool-time and meal-time too. Nighttime activities have been mostly unplanned bonuses the past few trips.

We mostly Rope Drop to accomplish our ride 'must-do's'....and this is the first problem going to Nighttime Shows with kids - they prefer rides....unless they are too young to know the difference. Kids may want to go to the Shows, but they are kinda' programmed to sleep when it gets dark.

Anyway, we enjoy the convenience of the Dining Packages, but had mixed success. Regardless, we are planning to enjoy RoL on our next trip with our 8 y.o. (going without a stroller for the first time).....to be continued....

Perhaps this is for a different thread, but does anyone know if you can use Tables in Wonderland for any of the ROL/Fantasmic dining events?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter