Roughness of Star Tours and Indiana Jones

calena

<font color=red>BL II - Red Team<br> <font color=g
Just wondering how rough Star Tours or Indiana Jones are motion sickness wise? To put it in perspective, I was fine on Space Mt, Thunder Mt, Splash Mt (but I did scream), Rockin Roller Coaster, Dinosaur - rides like that at WDW but I was very sick on Mission Space and then on Back to the Future at Universal I was also sick. I loved the Mummy though at Universal. Would either of these rides bother me? Was thinking of trying Indy early in the day and DS 6 is a big Star Wars fan so I think he would like that ride. Any advise from DL vets?? Thanks.
Deb

I think that Indy is a lot like Dinosaur. I think you will be fine. Star Tours is a lot like Back to the Future, motionsickness wise. My DH doesn't do well with rides like this any more. He did do Indy and was fine. He hasn't done ST in years.

In my experience (& correct me if I'm wrong, fellow DISers), Indiana Jones seems to be more rocky if you sit towards the back of the car. You might ask if you could sit in one of the two front rows.

Indy is similar to Dinosaur, as others have said. I get more neck/back problems from it than stomach ones!

As far as Star Tours, I'll think it's WAAAYY more tolerable than the Back to the Future ride and Mission to Mars or Mission Space or whatever it's called (I always get confused :blush: ) Both of those made me kinda woozy, but I've never felt that on Star Tours. I think because you're in a bigger space, the movements are less severe and jerky.

Have fun!!!

now that I think about it....Ive pretty much always sat within the first 3 rows on IJ and its rocky...my neck and back jerk like crazy...not like it does with Matterhorn but it is jerky...Star Tours is nothin to it... :thumbsup2

I agree with ter-moo. Indiana Jones, while rocky, has never made me the least bit queasy. Ride wise, it's identical to Dinosaur (the theming, visuals, and music make it more fun though). You should do fine with it. Star Tours makes me a tiny bit queasy sometimes-- I think its more the visual simulation that the physical rockiness. While it's similar to Back to the Future, it's much more mild on the stomach. I think you'll find it worth a try. Mission Space and Back to the Future are much higher on the queasiness scale.

My DH, who loves thrill rides, gets motion sickness on Star Tours. My son loved it though. LOL My Dh also loves Space Mountain, Splash ect..

Indiana Jones, from what I hear is just a rocky car ride. I don't know, it's the chicken part of me coming out again with rides. So I haven't done it yet. :)

I've been in multiple car accidents and have a TERRIBLE back. The one game that has ever really bothered my back is back to the future. It had me sore the rest of the day. To top it off I ended up behind some tall guy so I couldn't see. Stupid terrible ride IMO.

Looking at the rides you've experienced at Disney World (the one'e that did and didn't make you sick), I say that you'd be fine on Indiana Jones, but you may want to skip Star Tours (not because it's too rough or jerky, but because it's a simulation ride, which tends to cause motion sickness for some people). If you do decide to give Star Tours a try, then I recommend sitting in the very middle, which has the least amount of movement during the ride. :thumbsup2

From personal experience I would say avoid Star Tours at all costs if you get motion sick! Every so often I think...I should try it again, I love rides....and then I regret it for the rest of the day. :confused3 ST is the only ride at DL or DCA that makes me motion sick and man, does it make me feel terrible!!!!! :crazy: (Mission Space made me feel horrible too...it and Star Tours are the only rides I have trouble with at DL or WDW)

Star tours is a piece of cake compared to BTTF! On Indy, I always request to drive (you might have to wait an extra car) I have a kinda back neck, and holding onto the steering wheel, really makes me feel a lot more secure.

Indy is jerky, rocky motion, Star Tours does cause motion sickness for those who maybe prone to motion sickness, BTRR smallish roller coaster where you do not have time to get motion sickness.
You can get something for the motion sickness like a Transscop patch, but if you have a bad back, I would skip Indy, The Materhorn, Space Mountain and probably Star Tours.

My .02 cents

Jack pirate:

What is that motion sickness patch and where do you get one? Do you need a perscription for it? Thanks! ;)

the patch is pretty heavy duty.....maybe start with some ginger tabs? Or if you must tke tablets that exit your system with 4-6 hours.

calena said:
What is that motion sickness patch and where do you get one? Do you need a perscription for it? Thanks! ;)

Transderm Scopolamine or Transderm Scop for short and it typically is placed right behind your ear. You do need a prescription for it. I've used it many times while deep sea fishing and it does the trick. Make sure to apply it the night before your expected activity.

Never found the patch to be "heavy duty". The patch can be titrated by cutting it in half. Ginger will work for some folks who can stand most motion rides but need the mild re-enforcement.
My son uses it and I use it when I am deep sea fishing in stormy weather. My son gets sick on a merry go round and he can do the most aggressive roller coaster with no problem.)with the 1/2 patch) Makes his Disneyland experience fun opposed to miserable.
I have found if you ask your family Doc and give them a reason they will not have a problem writing the script.

Have a great time,

Jack

I suffer from motion sickness on planes and on long car rides. On our last trip we did quite a bit of driving, I bought these pressure point wristbands that worked very well. I've taken medication and used patches before and found that it did affect me physically, nothing serious but I'd be a little sleepy all day. The wristbands had absolutely no side affects. This is the link for the bands I purchased:

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-sms01.html

Great advice on the "sea bands". My daughter and I get motion sick easily and we use them. They work very well and we don't feel groggy. The only time they did not work for me was on Star Tours....I just have to give up on that one!

Thanks all!!!! DH and I were on a cruise once and I remember the seabands were quite popular. I think for this time I will try the ginger gum/tabs. I am quite sensitive to anything that would make me groggy so... but great information here! Thanks to the info I am feeling excited about Indy and will take the ginger along for Star Tours. Can't wait!!!1 :cool1: :cool1:

blackjackdelta said:
Indy is jerky, rocky motion, Star Tours does cause motion sickness for those who maybe prone to motion sickness, BTRR smallish roller coaster where you do not have time to get motion sickness.
You can get something for the motion sickness like a Transscop patch, but if you have a bad back, I would skip Indy, The Materhorn, Space Mountain and probably Star Tours.

My .02 cents

Jack pirate:

I could definitely skip IJ, Matterhorn and ST but there is no way in heck I will ever not do Space Mt even if i was dyin'... :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter