Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Blind run in the books
IMG_0841.PNG
This took a lot of mental strength. There were parts I felt awesome and parts I just was questioning how I was gonna keep it up. So it was basically the definition of a tempo run. I knew I was too fast out the gate, so I guess it's a pro that I recognized that. Also a pro I can recover ok from going too fast out the gate.
I still question maintaining this for 13.1 BUT this is the last 6 miles not the first, right? Right.

Time to disengage my brain and remember to set my alarm for FP morning tomorrow. Ack!

Edit...and only got the weird cramp around mile 1.5 and slowing up, breathing and grabbing a drink of water helped. No more cramps for the remainder. It appears I was running with two blisters and didn't notice. ewww

Thanks @CheapRunnerMike ! It felt a bit up and down the last half of it, but then when I looked closer the up and down was there but smaller a window then I felt in my body. So I guess that's good. I'm trying to stop all the "but I don't know about race day" negativity and focus on the fact I get a rest day AND pizza today instead.

Dialed in on that pace, awesome run.

I agree!

There were parts I felt awesome and parts I just was questioning how I was gonna keep it up.

I feel like this every single tempo run that I do, too, and mine are after a rest day! Here's my thought progression:

- During WU: Ugh. This feels awkward. My legs feel awkward. I feel awkward. I have to run a lot faster than this in like a half a mile. Ugh.
- At the end of WU: Um, well I feel a little better now. And I'm up that hill. And it's crazy how fast a half a mile goes by. Erg. Tempo time. Let's see how this goes. PICK IT UP!
- Tempo mile .5: Oh, shoot, I'm going way too fast. This is fun and all, but I still have more than three miles left. Slow it down.
- Tempo mile 1: Whew, finally at the track. This seems like more effort than it should (*glances at watch*)... oh... I'm still going too fast. Duh. Wait. I have to do how many laps? 9 laps seems like SO MANY LAPS.
- Tempo mile 1.5: Ok. This is fine. I like this pace. It's a little too fast, but I feel locked in. I hope the sun will come up soon. 2 laps down, 7 to go. Ugh. Seven still seems like a lot. And I still the street running portion after that. Maybe if I count backward instead of forward...
-
Tempo miles 2-3: Wait, what lap am I on again? Whatever... I know I'm supposed to run 5 miles... ok... it's around 1.25 miles home if I take that route... and I need to leave .5 miles to cool down. So... I need to stay here until 3.75, which includes my .5 WU. Ok. That's only x more laps.
-
Tempo miles 3-3.5: Wooohooo! Only two more laps. That'll breeze by. Wait. Why isn't this breezy. This is actually kind of hard. My thighs are tired. Oh good, it's time to head home now.
- Tempo miles 3.5-4: Back on the street. I forgot that this part is a tiny bit uphill. I'm tired. I'm definitely slowing down. Good thing I ran too fast at the beginning, it'll help average this slow pace out. Oh. Wait. This pace is still fine. Slower than the track, but fine. Oh hey. Now I'm done with my four tempo miles. That wasn't bad. I did it! And the sun is up and it is a pretty day and now I get to run half a mile downhill to get home.
- During CD: Running is fun. But boy am I tired. That was hard and fun. But mostly hard. Wait... I have to run again tomorrow and then do a long run on Saturday. *grits teeth* It's fine. I can do that just like I did this. And now I'm home.

The end!

FASTPASS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will probably (most likely definitely) write a trip report after our big Halloween/Food n Wine n Dine weekend and not do a planning TR. But I still can’t help writing about my FP choices somewhere. So here’s what I got this morning.

Check in Wilderness Lodge 10/31. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m more excited than ever about our hotel choice because it seems like a perfect fit for Fall.

Tuesday 10/31

We won’t be going into the park until 4pm for the Halloween Party. It appears this year you can get FP against your Halloween tix from 4-7 and prebook them on MDE. So far it’s working for people without messing up their later days so I’ll keep an eye on the MSSHP boards to make sure it’s still ok before we go. So I grabbed two meet n greets while we are in costume and then we can eat something quick and PARTY and get a ton of candy J

FP 4:10-5:10pm Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theatre

FP 5:20-6:20pm Meet Cinderella and Elena at Prince Fairytale Hall

Wed 11/1

Epcot morning! I couldn’t get Frozen (sad face) because everything available was 6pm and later. So we’ll rope drop it.

9am Rope Drop Frozen

FP 9:15-10:15am The Seas with Nemo & Friends (we probably don’t need a FP for this, but then if we are still Frozen-ing and meeting A&E I won’t be sad we miss this one, hence why I picked it first and then it frees up space to get a 4th FP earlier)

FP 10:20-11:20am Living with the Land

FP 11:20-12:20am Test Track (none of us have been on the new version!)

FOOD N WINE and Remy Hunt TIME!!!!

We plan to eat at Satuli Canteen at Pandora in the evening and try for standby Navi River (or FP day of, may be hard) and Night Safari maybe

Thursday 11/2

8:20am BOG pre-park open breakfast

FP 9:20-10:20am Peter Pan’s Flight

FP 10:30-11:30am Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

FP 11:40-12:40pm Enchanted Tales with Belle

Race Expo!

5:30pm Mickey’s Backyard BBQ (priority seating, arrive 4:30 for character pics)

Friday 11/3

5:30am Fall Feast 5k for roxymama

9:10am Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for roxykiddo

FP 10:00-11:00am Meet Rapunzel and Tiana at Princess Fairytale Hall

FP 11:00-12:00pm It’s a Small World

FP 12:05-1:05pm Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (just in case kiddo begs for a re-ride the previous day, we can always change this)

Hollywood Studios later today

4:20pm Minnie’s Halloween Seasonal Dine with Fantasmic seating

7:30pm Fantasmic FP

Star Wars Fireworks after if we are still standing

Saturday 11/4

No park day, unless we add one on? We may just rent a boat or explore the fort wilderness which sounds just as nice

5:30am Wine N Dine 10k for roxyhubby

10:10am Bon Voyage Adventure Breakfast

5:05pm O’hana Dinner

I think this seems like it’ll work. I’ve got copious hotel breaks built in that who knows if we will use or need. We may spend more time at the hotel swimming than fighting afternoon line crowds which sounds okay by me

First off, GREAT job on that tempo run. You did amazing on your pace and you are so speedy!! ZOOM!!!!

I agree!

I feel like this every single tempo run that I do, too, and mine are after a rest day! Here's my thought progression:

- During WU: Ugh. This feels awkward. My legs feel awkward. I feel awkward. I have to run a lot faster than this in like a half a mile. Ugh.
- At the end of WU: Um, well I feel a little better now. And I'm up that hill. And it's crazy how fast a half a mile goes by. Erg. Tempo time. Let's see how this goes. PICK IT UP!
- Tempo mile .5: Oh, shoot, I'm going way too fast. This is fun and all, but I still have more than three miles left. Slow it down.
- Tempo mile 1: Whew, finally at the track. This seems like more effort than it should (*glances at watch*)... oh... I'm still going too fast. Duh. Wait. I have to do how many laps? 9 laps seems like SO MANY LAPS.
- Tempo mile 1.5: Ok. This is fine. I like this pace. It's a little too fast, but I feel locked in. I hope the sun will come up soon. 2 laps down, 7 to go. Ugh. Seven still seems like a lot. And I still the street running portion after that. Maybe if I count backward instead of forward...
-
Tempo miles 2-3: Wait, what lap am I on again? Whatever... I know I'm supposed to run 5 miles... ok... it's around 1.25 miles home if I take that route... and I need to leave .5 miles to cool down. So... I need to stay here until 3.75, which includes my .5 WU. Ok. That's only x more laps.
-
Tempo miles 3-3.5: Wooohooo! Only two more laps. That'll breeze by. Wait. Why isn't this breezy. This is actually kind of hard. My thighs are tired. Oh good, it's time to head home now.
- Tempo miles 3.5-4: Back on the street. I forgot that this part is a tiny bit uphill. I'm tired. I'm definitely slowing down. Good thing I ran too fast at the beginning, it'll help average this slow pace out. Oh. Wait. This pace is still fine. Slower than the track, but fine. Oh hey. Now I'm done with my four tempo miles. That wasn't bad. I did it! And the sun is up and it is a pretty day and now I get to run half a mile downhill to get home.
- During CD: Running is fun. But boy am I tired. That was hard and fun. But mostly hard. Wait... I have to run again tomorrow and then do a long run on Saturday. *grits teeth* It's fine. I can do that just like I did this. And now I'm home.

The end!

This made me laugh out loud!

FASTPASS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will probably (most likely definitely) write a trip report after our big Halloween/Food n Wine n Dine weekend and not do a planning TR. But I still can’t help writing about my FP choices somewhere. So here’s what I got this morning.

Check in Wilderness Lodge 10/31. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m more excited than ever about our hotel choice because it seems like a perfect fit for Fall.

Tuesday 10/31

We won’t be going into the park until 4pm for the Halloween Party. It appears this year you can get FP against your Halloween tix from 4-7 and prebook them on MDE. So far it’s working for people without messing up their later days so I’ll keep an eye on the MSSHP boards to make sure it’s still ok before we go. So I grabbed two meet n greets while we are in costume and then we can eat something quick and PARTY and get a ton of candy J

FP 4:10-5:10pm Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theatre

FP 5:20-6:20pm Meet Cinderella and Elena at Prince Fairytale Hall

Wed 11/1

Epcot morning! I couldn’t get Frozen (sad face) because everything available was 6pm and later. So we’ll rope drop it.

9am Rope Drop Frozen

FP 9:15-10:15am The Seas with Nemo & Friends (we probably don’t need a FP for this, but then if we are still Frozen-ing and meeting A&E I won’t be sad we miss this one, hence why I picked it first and then it frees up space to get a 4th FP earlier)

FP 10:20-11:20am Living with the Land

FP 11:20-12:20am Test Track (none of us have been on the new version!)

FOOD N WINE and Remy Hunt TIME!!!!

We plan to eat at Satuli Canteen at Pandora in the evening and try for standby Navi River (or FP day of, may be hard) and Night Safari maybe

Thursday 11/2

8:20am BOG pre-park open breakfast

FP 9:20-10:20am Peter Pan’s Flight

FP 10:30-11:30am Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

FP 11:40-12:40pm Enchanted Tales with Belle

Race Expo!

5:30pm Mickey’s Backyard BBQ (priority seating, arrive 4:30 for character pics)

Friday 11/3

5:30am Fall Feast 5k for roxymama

9:10am Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for roxykiddo

FP 10:00-11:00am Meet Rapunzel and Tiana at Princess Fairytale Hall

FP 11:00-12:00pm It’s a Small World

FP 12:05-1:05pm Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (just in case kiddo begs for a re-ride the previous day, we can always change this)

Hollywood Studios later today

4:20pm Minnie’s Halloween Seasonal Dine with Fantasmic seating

7:30pm Fantasmic FP

Star Wars Fireworks after if we are still standing

Saturday 11/4

No park day, unless we add one on? We may just rent a boat or explore the fort wilderness which sounds just as nice

5:30am Wine N Dine 10k for roxyhubby

10:10am Bon Voyage Adventure Breakfast

5:05pm O’hana Dinner

I think this seems like it’ll work. I’ve got copious hotel breaks built in that who knows if we will use or need. We may spend more time at the hotel swimming than fighting afternoon line crowds which sounds okay by me

That looks like an amazing line up. All these people planning for the Halloween party and W&D are filling me with envy. You are going to have a great trip.

I agree!

-
-

The end!

OMG that was amazing. Also, get out of my head! We may have twin brains in the tempo department.
I did six one mile long laps after my first .5 miles last night. A big box that I turned left at every quarter mile. Sometimes I hate this route, sometimes I love it. I'd say I was just in the "get this done" mindset and actually I tend to speed up around corners so I think it worked in my favor last night. But man, was I having some "how many more lap?" thoughts around mile 3.5ish.
It did help there was a big family sitting outside about half way through the third quarter of each lap so I had to keep it up to impress them (yeah, I'm sure they didn't even care, haha!)

GIIIIIIIIRL that blind run...
giphy.gif

Shame about frozen fastpass, we're super lucky we've such a long trip as anything really over the +5days mark was pretty easy but even FOP at +5 I had to settled for a late one!

Still see Ohana on there which I'm happy about :teeth: Hopefully we can be 5k coral buddies too though... fingers crossed!

That looks like an amazing line up. All these people planning for the Halloween party and W&D are filling me with envy. You are going to have a great trip.

You know it's not too late to just accidentally book a Wine N Dine trip :)
I hear there are some cool kids eating at Ohana on Saturday night :)

GIIIIIIIIRL that blind run...
giphy.gif

Shame about frozen fastpass, we're super lucky we've such a long trip as anything really over the +5days mark was pretty easy but even FOP at +5 I had to settled for a late one!

Still see Ohana on there which I'm happy about :teeth: Hopefully we can be 5k coral buddies too though... fingers crossed!

Yeah, I think it'll be fine if we just do Frozen first thing and Wed I'm hoping is the lightest crowd day of the time we are there. We'll have fun either way. And I'll probably be stalking MDE about 5000 times to find a sooner one anyways!
Ohana is still a go!
CORRAL BUDDIES WOULD BE AWESOME! Do you remember what you put for your projected time? I think I did like 28:00 because that's about my 5k time now (plus some seconds, let's be honest) But heavens knows I'll be taking longer for pics!!! I have a feeling I'll be in Corral B only because every disney race I've been in corral B, so??????

Yeah, I think it'll be fine if we just do Frozen first thing and Wed I'm hoping is the lightest crowd day of the time we are there. We'll have fun either way. And I'll probably be stalking MDE about 5000 times to find a sooner one anyways!
Ohana is still a go!
CORRAL BUDDIES WOULD BE AWESOME! Do you remember what you put for your projected time? I think I did like 28:00 because that's about my 5k time now (plus some seconds, let's be honest) But heavens knows I'll be taking longer for pics!!! I have a feeling I'll be in Corral B only because every disney race I've been in corral B, so??????

I'm sure it'll be fine, if you're there for rope drop it won't be much of a wait at all. Definitely keep trying, people cancel all the time.
WHOOP!! It's one of the ones I'm really excited to go back for..

I think I put something similar as that was around my pre-injury pace so we could certainly end up B buddies! I'm really excited for the 5k I'm so happy it's in Animal Kingdom and it's our mam's first RunDisney event...

More geeky planning stuff:

Magical Express sign up is done!
Online Early Check in is filled out. Room request of highest floor. With box checked for early arrival/room ready early taking priority over other requests.
Magicband color selected:
roxymama: Orange (halloween!)
roxyhubby: Red
roxykiddo: Purple (exciting this is a choice now)

I'm taking roxykiddo to the disneystore this weekend or next to check out their halloween costumes. We were snooping the website this morning before getting ready for school. She's got her eye on the Elena red dress with the big glowy wand. So we shall see if she sticks with that. She told me this morning I need to be "blue" Belle and daddy should be Gaston. I can't say that I disagree with that. But probably more in a disneybound t-shirt and shorts kind of way I think.

Other than making my insane packing list and stalking literally every food n wine blog post I can find between now and then...oh and stalking for a Frozen Ride FP....is that it for planning???
That might be it for planning!
Oh wait...figure out accesories for my 5k outfit. But yee-haw...I think we are pretty set now!

Did you use those as your MB names as well? We always try to use different themed names on our MB's each trip, adds a fun personalized touch

I didn't think of that; that's a cool idea! Although it may confuse the kiddo when she's so excited to see her own name on things.

FP+ selections look awesome! I like that you did them all in the morning. That way you can just head back to the hotel, take a break, and make more FP+ when you get back to the parks.

Belle is super easy to DisneyBound. Jeans/jean (or otherwise blue) shorts/jean skirt (if you're going to for the "dress" authenticity), white shirt, and a blue vest or tank top. Super easy. Nice choice, roxykiddo.

I've been behind on reading...Trying to catch up. Loving the updates! Great job on the blind tempo run! They always play with my mind a bit...a game of too slow/too fast/repeat.
With roxykiddo on MB color choice! :) Excited for you and the fam...the trip is coming up quickly!

FP+ selections look awesome! I like that you did them all in the morning. That way you can just head back to the hotel, take a break, and make more FP+ when you get back to the parks.

Belle is super easy to DisneyBound. Jeans/jean (or otherwise blue) shorts/jean skirt (if you're going to for the "dress" authenticity), white shirt, and a blue vest or tank top. Super easy. Nice choice, roxykiddo.

And I've already got the brown hair so that's easy too :).
And you are right about my morning FP strategy. Since we aren't gunning for any really hard big rides this trip I figure once we ride three I can just make the next FP in line even if for little rides.

I've been behind on reading...Trying to catch up. Loving the updates! Great job on the blind tempo run! They always play with my mind a bit...a game of too slow/too fast/repeat.
With roxykiddo on MB color choice! :) Excited for you and the fam...the trip is coming up quickly!

Thanks for reading along! The fun part is roxykiddo doesn't really know we are going yet. She suspects we are going again at some point (because we always go to Disney). But purple MB would be what she'd pick I think :)

Your fall WDW plans look so fun!!! Can't wait to live vicariously through you! :D

I'm super excited. Our last fall trip she was turning 2 so this will be totally different :)

Monday update: Labor Day Edition
I hope everyone's having a good day off today. And if you are working, I hope it's an easy day!
I think this past week could be summarized by two things
1) confidence boost
2) exhausted
Which is usually how I feel after a race too, haha. But three more weeks to go (goodness!) The back of my left leg was feeling a bit tight this weekend so I took my EB run a bit closer to EA at times. But no cramp issues so that's a plus. I didn't get new shoes yet because we just filled our days with too much stuff. Not complaining cause we've had a blast so far this weekend. I'll put some fun family pics throughout my post. Oh and OMG it's hot again! Yuck!

IMG_0887.JPG
After my 5 miler we decided to take a hike (because we are active people)
Kiddo decided an American flag skirt, tinkerbell shirt and moose hat was "hiking clothes"
IMG_0888.JPG
We did one mile (maybe a bit more) and found a couple fairies along the way.
Proof I was there too. No moose hat for me though.
IMG_0889.JPG
I love this one :)
IMG_0890.JPG

Training plan: three weeks to go!!!
Monday - did 7mi LR, go see Emoji movie with kiddo.
Tuesday - 5mi EA
Wed - rest
Thur - .5 mi wu, 3x2 mi strength w 1 mi RI, .5 mi cd
This looks hard to have 2mi at strength but god bless a 1 mi Rest. I think this will be like "don't think about the next one until it gets here" to get through it.
Fri - off but no pizza. Hubby and I both were like ugh, ick, blech after our pizza night this week and we didn't even eat that much!
Sat - 6mi EB w strides
Sun - 11mi LR. Practice my gel strategy. This will also be the longest I've ran in any training AND longest I've ever ran without taking breaks to smile next to chipmunks and fairies :)

Yesterday we went to a fall fest and kiddo got the $7 version of bibbidi bobbidi outside of a local hair salon

IMG_0891.JPG
Glitter and all. She did great. Also she aged 10 years since yesterday somehow!
IMG_0892.JPG
And then she rode "definitely not dumbo"
IMG_0893.JPG
Hubby said "good, now we can cancel Disney"
Yeah, no!

We did lots more stuff. Like another red stars soccer game and we did all the puzzles in our house. Roxyhubby is getting 8 or 10 miles in now as we speak. I forget which?

I'm trying not to get nervous about my half or my 10k but nerves have crept in off and on. But I am a tad more confident after defeating a hard week :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter