runDisney Announcement

Just saw runDisney is going to make a special announcement 12/21. What is it?

The start of a one year countdown until the end of the Mayan Calendar?

Lots of rumors about a Christmas Season race during the dead period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Since they usually announce 8-12 months out, it could be so.

On the other hand, the W&D dates were left off the second page of the waivers for the marathon. Seems like a huge error, or a possible subtle way of indicating a change in race date. (See below)

Not so anxiously waiting....

wpic.jpg

At least they are drawing out the announcement with the 10 clues they had for tinkerbell. What a headache!

That would be so disappointing if they decided to pull the Wine and Dine. I really want to do that race next year. In fact, after seeing all of this year's racers walk around the park with their shirts and medals, it insprired me to start running so I can do this race in 2012. I really hope they keep it!!!

I don't think that they would build up an annoucement to cancel an event.
I'm hoping it's something new to run! :cool1:

I don't think that they would build up an annoucement to cancel an event.
I'm hoping it's something new to run! :cool1:

I was thinking more like re-branding the W&D into a Fall event or even the Christmas event. Though I am actually hoping against an event later than Thanksgiving. We just are not going to attend two events at WDW in short order and the January race takes priority until I fail to be totally Goofy.

Its going to be another women focused race. Maybe the announcement will be giving men awards at those races now. They did send me a survey about the wine and dine, I went off about prices being too high, the value is the same at other races for double the price and tangent off to the princess and tinkerbell about how if men don't get awards, drop the price for them. I also said that wine and dine half was my least favorite race I have done to date and that I would be unlikely to run again. Maybe after two years of negative feedback, they are changing it, cause I know there was a lot of complaints again this year. Maybe they are bringing the ToT 13k back since there is a high demand for that race as it seems.

Wine and Dine is already scheduled to return 9/28-9/29 in 2012. It is posted in the program for the January races. I guess it still could change, but I would doubt it since it is advertised already.

That's what I was thinking at first thought. Or at least wishing :)

So many people asking for it. Maybe for all racers this year?

Nah, not for this year. I think it would be way too late, as most people have already scored their ressies - many of which include park tickets.

Perhaps, an International Race?

Wine and Dine is already scheduled to return 9/28-9/29 in 2012. It is posted in the program for the January races. I guess it still could change, but I would doubt it since it is advertised already.

Thought I read this somewhere too. And I hope it's right, because DW wants to run it next year when we're there during that week...

Maybe finally the fabled triathlon? Although where do they do the swimming portion to minimize brain amoeba death?

New to this - what is this?

In an attempt to sell out the 2011 marathon, Disney offered a free park pass to all marathon finishers. It was only good for the Monday after the marathon.

While it was successful in helping the WDW Marathon to sell out, I think if one looked at the total cost to Disney, one would see that there was limited value overall.

First, it was not offered to the Half marathon finishers. This created a lot of negative feedback and ill will.

Second, I am not sure that the parks actually saw an increase in resort sales or in food and drink sales as a result of the offering. Most marathon runners already stay until Monday and a large percentage stay through Tuesday or longer. The pass offering simply gave runners something to do on Monday that they may well have already decided that they would do anyway. In fact, I would suggest that the parks actually lost money as a result of the offering due to the mid teen thousands of passes used with limited increases in revenue from other sources.

If it is an offering of Marathon Monday, I would hope that the Mouse will actually offer the passes to all marathon and half marathon participants. Though, I am not really inclined to think that this is the actual announcement.

I really think that there will be a themed race in late October or early November that could be used as a build up race for the marathon weekend. I am a little jaded and think that it will be a woman focused race, also. Though it would be tough to rule out the return of the ToT 13 k around Halloween.

The Minnie 15k seemed like a great idea with bad planning. The intended audience is not one that really wants to run a longer race in May. - too hot and humid for folks not from a Gulf Coast influenced area.

I would not be surprised to see a 25 or 30k event if slotted into the early November time period. The could easily run a concurrent half and 30k event over a weekend, or a 15 and 30 k event as far as that goes. The issue is that ideally a 30k competition would be around Thanksgiving and that is not going to happen.

Anyway, these are ideas from a coach's/RD's perspective.

Maybe finally the fabled triathlon? Although where do they do the swimming portion to minimize brain amoeba death?

The issue is that Disney has never really run any of the triathlons and that the Triathlon series that would draw folks (Danskin, etc) are just as hard headed about marketing as Disney and its suppliers are. Previous attempts have really been a bust IMO.... I still remember the Oly Tri from maybe 6 years back where they could not even get the distances correct due to the mandates of putting the course in certain parks and places. If I recall, the bike was a weird point to point with a couple nasty uturns.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Disney as a destination tri, but I am not likely to go that far for anything short of a half IM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter