?'s from a new SB'er

SalandJeff

Disney Addict x 3
Hi - I'm new to scrapbooking and have been looking at some of your wonderful pictures on these boards. But I have a few questions.

Acid free paper, pens, albums, etc. seem to be such an important issue. But what happens when you are adding other items to your pages (ticket stubs, postcards, etc.) Is this a concern?

Same question when you are printing text or pictures from your computer printer. You can use acid free paper, but what about the ink?

Also, do you always use page protectors in all your albums? I recently bought a scrapbooking album, but it did not come with page protectors and it is kind of oversized - larger than 12x12 pages. Can you buy page protectors separately?

I've seen some posts about photocopying. Are some of you saying that to duplicate your pages, you're actually taking the entire finished scrapbook page and having a color copy made (this sounds like a great idea)?

Sorry for all the questions - and thanks for any help or tips you can provide!

I'll take on a couple of these questions. As for page protectors - ALWAYS! Not only does it protect each page from touching each other, but we look at our albums alot and it keeps dirtly little fingers from damaging a page too. As for adding memorabilia I only use Creative Memories albums and pages, which are buffered and protect pictures. I also do not put ticket stubs or other memorabilia directly against a picture. Some things I even enclose in a "sleeve" and the adhere to the page. Hope this helps some. Welcome.

Lisa

Different people take different approaches to non-photo-safe items in their albums. If you want to include memorabilia that is not acid free or questionable, arrange your layout so that the items are as far away from your photo's as possible. Also mount your photos and your memorabilia on acid free card stock. Always use page protectors. They protect your photos from the obvious things like dust and fingerprints but they also protect your photos from your memorabilia and from each other too.

As far as computer inks, I understand they are getting better, but you will have to check with the manufacturer of your printer's ink. I sometimes use my computer for journaling but my ink has a pretty high fade factor. I am going to have to redo it in a few years. Maybe by then I will be able to afford a really great printer and the inks will have improved. I understand that even the better inks have about a 10 to 15 year life.

One more thing. Avoid albums with vinyl covers. The vinyl gives off a fume that can damage your photos.

Hope this answers some of your questions, Welcome to the board.

One thing I use for things that I know aren't acid-free is a spray called Archival Mist. I've used it on tickets, brochures, Disney Dollars & more. It's pricey (around $40/bottle) but not bad if you buy it with a 50% off Michael's coupon. It lasts quite a while, too. I've had my bottle for probably 3 years and still have lots left.

Just to add something about printing pictures...... I have a digital camera with a photo printing printer.... BUT... the paper I was using, my pictures were fading (the ones left out, not the ones in the book),,, Well I just got home from Disney and went to stock up on paper and read details on the packaging and relized that the Kodak brand photo paper is acid free.... the brand I was buying didn't. I just assumed all photo paper was the same ! I'll cross my fingers that the pages I have done with the old paper survive !!

Good Luck.... It is VERY easy to get addicted !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter