San Diego / Del Mar

Grendel

Where ever you go, there you are.
Ok you San Diego people...

i was thinking about basing our San Diego trip from Del Mar...
any reason why i wouldnt want to do this?? the hotels are a bit cheaper..
and free parking etc. And the attractions dont seem that far away??

thoughts? please!!

Del Mar is cheaper??? That surprises me...because the homes there are more expensive than a lot of other places in San Diego, and I know there's some pretty fancy resorts there, too.

Anyway...from Del Mar you can be in downtown San Diego in less than 20 minutes (barring traffic/accidents, of course!) It's probably 20 minutes to Sea World and 20 minutes to the Zoo...well, maybe 25 to the Zoo. Anyways...it's not bad.

As I've mentioned in another thread, the worst problem with Del Mar is that if you are returning there from San Diego in the late afternoon you're going to have to deal with the 5/805 merge...and it's s-l-o-w.

Del Mar is a beautiful area, though - and it's very close to the beach. La Jolla, Scripps Aquarium, and Torrey Pines State Park are also nearby, and don't require getting on the freeway to get to.

To me it just doesn't seem convenient.

???

what doesn't? The drives to the attractions? Do you have another suggestion? It seems like you have to drive everywhere anyways...and 10 minutes vs. 20 minutes isnt that big of a deal for us. We dont really care abouta "resort" type stay as we just want to take in some sites and not spend to much on a hotel as we will spend plenty on the second leg of our trip at DL!

I think it would be fine. We stayed at the Double Tree Del Mar and it was great ! It was really close to Torrey Pines state beach , and about 15 - 20 minutes to Sea World, we didn't do the zoo. Another good place is Sorrento Mesa, we loved the Country Inn and Suites.

I think it would be fine. We stayed at the Double Tree Del Mar and it was great ! It was really close to Torrey Pines state beach , and about 15 - 20 minutes to Sea World, we didn't do the zoo. Another good place is Sorrento Mesa, we loved the Country Inn and Suites.

the double tree looked nice...and there were a couple of other chains that were decent including the Hampton Inn(s). Really for our SD stay we just want a clean, comfortable base for our tourist activites...our "resort" stay is reserved fro Disneyland. :)

Depends on when you are going...if you go in the summer, the Del Mar Races are going on and it's a real pain to drive anywhere on the streets or even the freeway for that matter.

But it is a gorgeous area...I am from north San Diego and really miss it...moving back in the summer! :cool1:

If you have any more questions, let me know!

Del Mar is a beautiful area, and has great beaches. It's a 'well to do area' so I'm surprised it's not that expensive. It's a bit of a drive to most attractions, but by no means unbearable. It's definitely a quiet beach community. You could always catch the Coaster (local commuter train) into downtown from Del Mar for a nice easy ride. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter