San Diego Zoo And Animal Park

seattlebusymom

Mouseketeer
Anyone have discount ideas for either place? I found a coupon once while searching online but cannot find it again....
HELP!!! :confused3

I noticed you asked about Sea World, too, on another thread. Our family will be getting the Southern California City Pass which includes a 3 day park hopper to Disneyland Resort, plus one day at Universal Studios, one day at Sea World, and one day at either the San Diego Zoo or the Wild Animal Park. It is $199 for adults or $159 for kids (3-9) but apparently you can get it for $179/$139 at Costco.com.

JULIE

Thanks for the tip on the City Pass. We needed a longer hopper so we did it with the package and we also got the unlimited fast pass by using AAA. So now the only thing I am in need of is a deal on the Zoo and maybe Wild Animal park. :cool1:

the only thing i can think of is the military discount. of course i dont know how much help that is to you.

I am sure you have visited the zoo website. They have combo offers (zoo and Wildlife). How many are going and what ages? Sometimes, depending on how many times you plan to be in San Diego and how much you like zoos, the membership makes more sense ($99 for two people in same household, kids something like $29). We have done this in the past because our kids love animals and this zoo is one I could visit many times over. (We are going again this year and it is the 3rd time in 4 years). If you make it back over two summers, depending on how you time it, you can get two summers out of one membership. Not sure this was any help as it is not exactly a discount, but can save you money over time.

Also, with the kids membership, they get a kids magazine sent to them throughout the year and adults get one to. There have been many times the stories or photos have come in handy for a school project.

If I may hijack (sorry), is San Diego Zoo something that would require a full day to really take in, or can it be more of a half-day type of experience?

Thanks.

I've seen a 3-1 which seemed like a good deal. Unlimited admission over 5 days. You can go for a half day and head to the beach or the pool. :cool1:

I would love to have feedback on the two parks. I have 3, 6 and 9 year old girls and wonder which place is better? How long does it take to do each park. Are the animals different in each place? We have one day to go and are trying to decide.
Thanks! :wave2:

I went last summer with an 8 1/2-year old and a 61/2-year old. We got there about 10 and left at 9:30 that night. In the summer WAP is open late. They really had a good time. There's a carousel that you can buy unlimited passes for, so they kept riding it. There were lots of shows and a place where they could get wet. There's also a playground for letting off steam. We rode the bushline tram twice--once in the day and again at dusk. You see different animals. To avoid running from one exhibit to another, you really need a whole day for either place.

We will be getting the City Pass through AAA and it said we would get the enhanced fast pass, too.

I have been to the Wild Animal Park a few times (my in-laws live 1 mile away!) and it doesn't seem like a whole day affair but at least 1/2 -3/4 of a day. I wouldn't plan on doing anything else that day except maybe something in the evening.

This upcoming trip, we will be going to the zoo instead, so I can't tell you yet how they compare!

JULIE

For the WAP you need a solid 1/2 day. We might go to the beach in the morning, have lunch then head to the zoo around 2 or 3 and stay till closing. (in summer it closes at 8 and kicks you out by 9) We prefer this time of day as it does tend to get hotter at this park (more inland) and we like taking the tram when the sun sets as there are usually more animal moving about. As for the zoo, we like to go in the morning, take a break at lunch, then back for the afternoon and night. This would be more of a 3/4 day. Again, in the summer the zoo is open late and they have evening activities and shows planned. While the shows and activities are nice, for us the highlights are the animals and the zoo itself. Every year we go, I think why are we taking the kids back, I'm sort of sick of it. Then I get there and walk around and repeat many times, "Now I remember why I love this place". Also, weather at the zoo is cooler.

As for descriptions, the zoo is typical zoo-type though done much better than most zoo around the country (though I hear the zoo in DC is quite nice). The animal are in enclosures, the landscaping and layout is beautiful and pleasant to walk around (though hilly). The WAP is more spread out and the animals tend to be "loose" in larger "natural" settings. (Use the tram for viewing) They have shows that are entertaining (bird show has been the same for years, yet I still laugh at the emu jokes). I love the gorilla exhibit and lorakeets (you can buy food and they will land on you to eat ..... several at a time ........ great picture opportunity!)
If you can manage it, try to do both. This year we are only doing the zoo as only one is included in the city pass. For us to skip the WAP was an easy choice, but only because we have already done both a few times. Both have pros and cons. Sorry, this probably isn't much help.

JulieNMM said:
We will be getting the City Pass through AAA and it said we would get the enhanced fast pass, too.

JULIE
JulieNMM - Where did you find City Pass through AAA? I will be getting CPs for our Aug trip and was looking at ordering through Costco - I would love to get the enhanced fast pass :thumbsup2 , but thought that was only offered with a package - did you have to book a package? We already have our rooms at DL through DVC and I booked my San diego rooms myself.
DNeph (8) and I plan on doing both the zoo and the wild animal park - he's sooo interested in animals and zoos - even goes to zoo camp here every summer! All these tips really help us. :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter