Saratoga Renovations...thoughts?

Polynesian27

Mouseketeer
Hi all, my wife and I are looking to take a trip to the world this spring and we are debating staying at SSR. Has anyone stayed recently with the new renovated rooms? So curious to hear about your stay and what you thought of the rooms. We typically go to the parks for rope drop but are back at the pool and relaxing at the resort by noon. We have never considered SSR because of its size and location, and with three kiddos it has never been atop of our list. We recently stayed at GFV, RR, and CCV and absolutely loved all three of those. The internal bus system also scares my wife with the kids and trying to get to and from parks. Any Pros or Cons would be much appreciated!!! thanks in advance!!

I stayed at SSR years ago and can’t comment on the renos yet (staying there at the beginning of April in a 1 bedroom), but it’s a nice resort with good pools, so I think the kids would have fun there. On-site dinning isn’t the best, but you are a stones throw from Disney Springs which obviously has lots to offer. All the videos I’ve seen and reviews that I’ve read have been overwhelmingly positive in regards to the renovations, to the point where people are starting to consider SSR a “hidden gem” of sorts, in the DVC world.

I purchased my DVC contract there last year, so I’m perhaps a bit biased. Never used the bus system as I always rent a car; others can chime in on that, but do some research and find the best areas for bus service and you should be fine.

Rooms are nice, but don't have anything to compare it too since we joined last year and have only stayed at SSR and OKW. Stayed in the springs area during that trip and if you're relying on the bus to get and to/from the parks, I'd say avoid that section since it's the last bus stop within the resort. Even during non-peak times we had a hard time finding a seat on the bus. If you do stay there, you could walk over to Paddock which I believe is the 3rd bus stop and buses were practically empty, but again not sure what it's like for rope drop, might want to stay at grandstand or carousel just to be safe.

Got back from a renovated villa in May 2021 and it was fab. Parents did a parks trip, but they're low key and didn't hustle to make rope drop. They spent majority of time at Epcot for Flower & Garden. I was a tag-along and had just started a new job. I worked from the villa during the weekdays and enjoyed one of the quiet pools and Disney Springs (DS) on the weekend. It was super relaxing and beautiful. The room renovation (the entire resort is renovated now inc. the lobby) and the rooms product is, in my opinion, at the top - and I've stayed at almost all DVC resorts. The other thing that is fantastic is the easy stroll to DS. The food at SSR is OK - not great, not bad, just in-between - but the proximity to DS makes this resort one of the best in terms of F&B options. We booked preferred and wanted Congress Park because it's the closest to DS. However, only The Springs was available when we checked in & we didn't want to wait for a Congress Park room to open up. We were a 4 min stroll to the lobby and 15 min stroll to DS (ferries weren't open in May 2021 due to COVID; I believe they've since reopened).

The rooms product is really clean & bright. The rooms are relaxing. WiFi is super fast - I can vouch for that, as I was on multiple Zoom calls a day with my team. The pull-down murphy bed under the TV and behind the couch are easy and so comfortable. No more awful sleeper sofas!

Artist Palette is fine - I wouldn't say it's any better or worse than other DVC resorts. Turf Club has since reopened, but was not when we were onsite. Again, we did most of our eating at DS so I really can't complain.

I don't know how old your kids are so the bus situation might be tricky if you have strollers. If you Google, you'll find the route that the buses go. I didn't think the buses were any faster/slower than other bus-only resorts like AKL. However, this might be an issue with your kids depending on their age. The one thing I suggest is not taking the bus to DS - it's like a 20 min bus ride because of the rds - none of them are direct vs. a quick 15 min jaunt to DS.

Despite owning at SSR, we had never been back since our initial trip in 2004, choosing to vacation throughout the DVC portfolio & concierge collection. After this trip, we will certainlly be back. The renovated rooms + proximity to a truly terrific DS (DTD can't even compare to where DS is today) makes this resort one of the top options in the Disney portfolio - especially if you're traveling with just adults or older kids.

• Love
Reactions: GAN

Have recently stayed at all the same resorts as you (GFV, RR, and CCV) and also refurbed SSR. We absolutely LOVED the rooms. RR is still my favorite but SSR is not far behind at all.

My wife and I stayed twice in 2021 in May and September both in studios. We both really liked the rooms and thought they looked great, but we never stayed in the old style room so not sure what it was like before. Only issue we had with the bus system was on our trip in September we stayed in the last building of Paddock closest to Congress Park so we would walk to the Congress Park bus stop (4th out of the 5 stops) and 1 of the mornings trying to rope drop to Hollywood Studios we watched either 2 or 3 HS buses skip our stop because they were full already. Probably ended up waiting 25 minutes for a bus that morning- definitely missed rope drop :( but that was the only issue we had with the buses.

Can you rent a car? We started doing that since Covid and it has totally changed our attitude about the big resorts.

The murphy bed instead of fold out sofa is a game-changer for SSR. So glad to see that coming to the other resorts as they come up for refurbishment (except for BRV which apparently will never get refurbed :rotfl: ).

Just spent 2 weeks at SSR...one in two BR with DD and DGD and one in one BR with DH. Outside is gorgeous (really no change). Inside decor was fine....somewhat vanilla but then I don't know much about the original Saratoga Springs they are trying to emulate.

We walked to Disney Springs most days...ate dinner, went to movie, ...lots to see and do. You can also take a ferry to Disney Springs.

To get to parks you have to take the bus but it's very easy...each bus takes you to one park....an EPCOT bus, a MK bus, etc. And there are tv screens at the bus stop telling you the timing of arrival. We never waited more than a few minutes. We did this a couple of years ago with stroller and as long as one adult has child and another has stroller, it was no problem. Probably faster than loading car, driving, parking, unloading car, walking to park, etc.

We are 'afternoon lounge at the resort' people too and we love SSR. We've stayed at nearly every other DVC and deluxe resort, and keep returning to SSR. The rooms are spacious and beautiful. We love that there are 4 pools, and three pool bars (when the one at Grandstand is open). We like to request a first floor room in the Grandstand section overlooking the golf course and river. Our kids hunt for stranded golf balls, and we love doing happy hour outside while the boats go by. It's very relaxing after hectic mornings in the park. We've never had any significant issues with the buses, and also really like walking around the beautiful resort grounds.

We stayed at SSR for the first time this past Marathon race weekend and were very impressed with the rooms and resort. We typically stay at Poly, BC, BWV, AKV, RR and sometimes CC but avoided SSR in the past due to buses, theming and distance from parks. We decided to rent a car for the first time this trip and it was a game changer. Having a car makes SSR a great resort as you park right outside your door and the ability to pop off property to get supplies / groceries was amazing. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa standard and is was beautiful - not far behind the look and feel of rooms at Riviera in my opinion and very spacious. BWV was a real let down after the SSR stay by comparison (room wise). I am a runner and enjoyed running each morning around the resort and the easy access to Disney Springs made dinners and evenings quite fun and convenient. Will definitely stay at SSR again. It has become a favourite..

Although we haven't stayed at SSR yet, the photos and videos of the renovated rooms look great compared to before the refurb. In fact, we really didn't envision staying at SSR any time soon, if ever. But with the new look of the rooms, we're now looking forward to trying out SSR some time.

Our first stay at SSR was last June, in a renovated 1 BR that we liked very much. The couch/Murphy bed in the living room was much more comfortable for sitting and reading than the foldout couch at BWV - the cushions stayed on the couch instead of sliding off onto the floor! We had our car, too, and loved parking it directly outside our building. About the only complaint we had was the bathroom arrangement, specifically the doors - the living room door, toilet room door, and bedroom door all open IN to the bathroom and don't have sufficient clearance, so if not careful it's possible to hit someone accidentally. Or in some cases, not open the door at all - the toilet room door opens directly onto the sink, and there's really no space for a person to stand in front of the sink if that door is open.

Staying here now in 2 bedroom. The cm’s are the best I’ve encountered. Had trouble with a lost gift card, the manager in the gift shop went out of her way to help. Was walking on the path to okw, a golf cart with 3 workers stopped and drove us, thanking us the whole way for coming down. Little things, but honestly that’s why I think Disney is a step above the rest. Resort is extremely clean, had pizza at the resort which was very good as well. Overall great experience!

Stayed at a SS renovated studio in December and didn't care for it. Too white for me-seems like it will show wear easily and would be a nightmare with smaller kids. I was in the Carousel section and it was a hike to get anywhere. I hopped on the first bus I saw and got off in the back of the resort to walk to DS, did the same to the main building. Didn't care for the food selection at Artist Palette. I had a split stay booked-2 nights at SS and 2 at Kidani for March race weekend, today I found out my waitlist for Kidani was filled. Relief as I really didn't want to stay at SS again.

We stayed less than a year ago in a 2 bedroom and found it to be an excellent value, we will be staying again in a 2 bedroom in a few weeks...it's not our favorite however it's very nice for the low points cost in my opinion

Hi all, my wife and I are looking to take a trip to the world this spring and we are debating staying at SSR. Has anyone stayed recently with the new renovated rooms? So curious to hear about your stay and what you thought of the rooms. We typically go to the parks for rope drop but are back at the pool and relaxing at the resort by noon. We have never considered SSR because of its size and location, and with three kiddos it has never been atop of our list. We recently stayed at GFV, RR, and CCV and absolutely loved all three of those. The internal bus system also scares my wife with the kids and trying to get to and from parks. Any Pros or Cons would be much appreciated!!! thanks in advance!!
We (family of 4) stayed in a one bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs for 2 nights in September 2021 and everything in the room was brand new and sparkling. You are getting the same room layout as the beach club one room villas and they are beautifully decorated. The murphy bed in the living room was great since it allowed the living room to be used during the day. The tub is HUGE and modern. The resort is also HUGE so you will want to drive to get to the main area if you are staying in the part farthest from the main area. The pool is very nice and has pretty decent food at the pool bar. Walking across the bridges at night is quite lovely. Its a bit busier than the other deluxe villas but its not unpleasant. All in all we found it to be a good value

Stayed in a renovated studio in october and it as great. Way better then the old rooms.

I am currently staying in a studio in the Springs section. It is nice; BUT, it’s VERY sterile in my opinion (white on white on white), in contrast to the buildings which are very welcoming and have great style. The inside just does match the outside somehow. The outside is cozy while the inside feels fake formal with weird ‘rustic’ touches. The studio doesn’t feel kid friendly in the least.

While I love the Murphy bed (Featuring a great “Disney” cartoon horse, which seems oddly out of place given the rest of the room), I am at a loss to describe this “bench” that sits in the room. I guess I just don’t see the purpose. You have a sofa. I would have preferred a table and chairs. The absence of that feature alone, for me, makes a return trip highly unlikely.

I would also note that given your description of how you use the parks, and your family makeup, I’d think you’d find the buses maddening. It’s like you take 2 trips for the price of one. One trip around Saratoga and one trip to the park of your choice. The resort is sprawling and some rooms seem to me, based on the bus rides, to be miles from anything, and we are walkers. I can’t imagine being here with children, although we have not used the recreational amenities or the pools.

Good luck and best wishes!

If you love the pools, and you have kids, SSR and its community hall and CMs are a great choice. If you request Grand Stand you are the first stop coming and going. You have a great pool with a splash pad and pool bar. It’s a 5 minute walk to the Carriage House and community hall, quick serve @ Artist Palette and dining at The Turf Club (ressies required) and the main pool with slide, zero entry and splash.
We are going home for the first time in 2 years and are eager to see home. Come on over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter