Sars

toulousaine

Earning My Ears
We are going to DW one month from today! (yayyyyy!)

However.......:confused:

I took my 10 month old to his well-baby visit today, and I brought of the issue of SARS, because my doctor is VERY level-headed, never jumps on the bandwagon of issues. But, he said he was a little concerned, not so much at DW, but on the airlplane (7 hr ride for us). He said that if it got much worse, like more spreading thru the states, then maybe we should postpone.

He said if it stays like it is now, just sporadic cases, then go and have fun, just wash hands like crazy (which we do anyway.)

SO....:(

Sorry, my son disconnected the plug from the keyboard..

Anyhow, my concern is for my family. I mean, chances are we wouldn't get it, but it could happen! It's happened to 3000 people so far!

What would YOU do??????

Toulousaine,

I am a Firefighter and EMT who happens to work on an ambulance service. We, too, are taking precautions, but they are the same we take every day for every patient. While SARS is a worry, as long as precautions are taken there should be no worries. (Washing often, staying away from people with symptoms of flu, ETC.) I would agree with your doctor's recommendation but I believe they are gonna crack this thing soon and a cure/vaccine will be found. IMHO if someone is gonna get it, they'll get it wherever they are; not just from riding 7 hrs. on an airplane. Don't let this ruin your vacation. I leave in 2 weeks with my DW and twin DDs. Just stay alert and check the CDC website if you have any questions about signs and symptoms of SARS.

Mike

Have a great trip:)

toulousaine- My Dh works on the inside and outside of planes all day, international flights, and thus far no one working on planes has gotten the virus. They clean the planes up after each flight. If you get on the flight and are near someone coughing asked to be moved or unboard the plane.
Take all the precautions you can but don't stop living your life.

First of all, SARS is an airborne virus, that's why the plane is a "concern". Handwashing alone won't stop it, but it sure helps! Washing your hands a lot at WDW is good sense regardless bc of all the little germies on every last surface. Bring wipes, too, so you can clean off tables and other things that might be dirty.

With respect to SARS, I know that thousands have gotten it, but honestly, that number is a drop in the world wide bucket. The reason the health officials are so concerned about it is bc is so contagious and spreads like wildfire, not so much bc of the numbers.

To put into perspective, but not to scare you surther, here are some stats from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/Default.htm#T

"Experts also point out by way of context that an illness we take for granted is far more lethal than SARS has been. Each year, the influenza virus infects 10% to 20% of Americans, hospitalizing 114,000 and killing 36,000. Worldwide, influenza kills 250,000 to 500,000 people annually.

"Obviously, SARS is of concern, but the number of deaths so far is still dwarfed by the number of people who die each week from influenza-related complications," said Dr. David Pegues, director of infectious diseases control at UCLA Medical Center."

Great info and insight, you guys! Thanks so much, and I appreciate the insider perspectives. I am even going to bring wipes onto the rides with me and do a quick wipe down of the hand bars (yes, I'm obessesive, but I also wipe shopping carts down too! )

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I love this board!!!!!!

toulousaine -- one more tip: the first thing you must do on the airplane is wipe down the armrests and the seat back trays. They are NASTY. The first thing I now do when exiting a plane is to hit the ladies room to wash my hands. I fly alot, and this is the 1st year I've done this, and it's the 1st year I have not had 10 colds. (But I did get pneumonia, go figure...)

They just released the new figures on SARS. The the percen t of people dieing from SARS is less the 4% of the people who are coming down with SARS. If you take precations like others have said I belive you and your family will be ok. We just can't all sit at home and hide. Remember when AIDS first was being reported!
Everyone was scared. When you fly why don't you look into wearing one of those mask, it is and airborne virus and this might help. so keep you plans, have a wonderful vaction and live life to it's fullest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter