School now banning all "out of term" holiday leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies it was approx 7.5 % spanned over t 3yrs startining in 08.N ever the less the point still stands that at a time where the vast majority of the country didnt know if they'd have ajob or not the teachers were turning their nose up at getting several % (hence the real world comments) This action was at the expense of our kids educations therefore i will throw this back at any teacher who accuses me of damaging my childs education taking them on hols
as for the rest of your post i have nothing but respect for teachers like you.My negative comments are aimed at those who aren't and don't give a stuff

Oh I'm just a little bitter ... as a sixth form college teacher we don't get the pay and conditions of school teachers, (although it is better than Further Education Colleges were I used to work). I can't understand why post 16 education isn't valued as highly as compulsory, we work as hard, honest!!!

Quite!

Exactly!

Oh yes. But we have to foot the bill for additional child care since other sectors of employment don't have this - in addition to ludicrous amounts of holidays over the course of the year.

Whereas I have the nice long holidays and have to pay for my private preschool childcare throughout all the holidays!! That would well fund an extra trip to Disney if I didn't!! Also once my son is at school I work in a different authority so we'll not always even have the same school holidays!! :headache:

It would seem no-one's happy! lol!

mo x

I can remember being told that I made 'unnecessary corrections' when I marked kids' work. I think every correction is necessary.:confused3

Thanks goodness there are still teachers around like you. I hope you're standing your ground. :thumbsup2

Well dont. It was no slight on your ability and if you do that job because you genuinely want to then great for you

Nah. The bubble for me is just the lack understanding of reality amongst many teachers that come via that route. Obviously not all, but a lot of them.

The failure to grasp reality that I am on about are those teachers who think they have been delt a poor hand in life. Those that voted to strike because they were appauled by a 6% pay rise offer during a recession ........ these people seem to have zero understanding of reality. People may wander what this has to do with this thread, well it is as follows. If I am going to have some teacher preach to me about taking my kids out of school and use the "why wont someone think of the kids" argument on me then I wouldnt expect these same teachers to strike (at the expense of my kids education) under such circumstances. That is what I dislike and why I think many dont have a firm grasp of reality.

These kind of people who will happily preach to me yet they dont give a stuff about teaching. Probably the type that have done some dopper type degree, cant do anything else so by default entered teaching. These are the same type of people who come up with rediculouse statements like "I dont have to teach your kid" or "why should I provide your kid with some work because you went on holiday" or "why should I mark the work given to your kid while on holiday". If those people truely loved their job and truely wanted to teach they wouldnt come up with stuff like that. These are the same people that will think nothing at sniping at parents for taking their kids out of school.

Now Im not suggesting for a minute that you are one of these people, apologies if you felt that way and it comes accross to me the way you write that you arent. However many teachers are like that and (only IMO of course) the bulk of teachers that are like that come from the type I describe. Those who have wandered into teaching by accident / default. I'd just like to stress, by saying this Im not saying all people who have followed that pathway into teaching are like that.

I think you have just had a run of bad luck with teachers! I agree there are 'jobs-worths' out there, just like any profession, but maybe it is easier to see because they tread such a fine line.

I am divided on the whole issue of taking children out of school, because part of me really does believe that education is more than what is learnt inside a classroom. However I have also seen, in my time volunteering in schools, in our jam packed curriculum how easy it is to be left behind! Teachers rarely have class time to spend getting children to catch up, leaving both the child and the teacher at a disadvantage. It is generally ok if your child is bright and has the support to keep up at home, but if they don't it can be very difficult to re-gain that learning.

So yes, I understand both sides of the coin here.

Oh I'm just a little bitter ... as a sixth form college teacher we don't get the pay and conditions of school teachers, (although it is better than Further Education Colleges were I used to work). I can't understand why post 16 education isn't valued as highly as compulsory, we work as hard, honest!!!

I am in complete admiration for sixth form teachers. I know how hard my teachers worked to get me through my A levels, well above and beyond the call of duty! Not to mention the mountains of marking! I definitely value your contribution! :thumbsup2

I can't understand why post 16 education isn't valued as highly as compulsory, we work as hard, honest!!!

Damn right!! I teach A Level as well as key stages 3 and 4, and wow does it take me so much longer to plan and mark those lessons!!

I suppose the upside is not needing as much classroom management in the key stage :thumbsup2

:goodvibes

My apologies it was approx 7.5 % spanned over t 3yrs startining in 08.N ever the less the point still stands that at a time where the vast majority of the country didnt know if they'd have ajob or not the teachers were turning their nose up at getting several % (hence the real world comments) This action was at the expense of our kids educations therefore i will throw this back at any teacher who accuses me of damaging my childs education taking them on hols
as for the rest of your post i have nothing but respect for teachers like you.My negative comments are aimed at those who aren't and don't give a stuff

Were you bullied in school by your teachers? There is obviously some underlying issue here.
As a teacher of thirteen years I have yet to spend a second "on strike" so what would you "throw back at me?"

Were you bullied in school by your teachers? There is obviously some underlying issue here.
As a teacher of thirteen years I have yet to spend a second "on strike" so what would you "throw back at me?"

:lmao:

Hiya,

I'm in that delicious position of working in a primary school (2 daughters are pupils too) , though not a teacher.... I am a mid-day supervisor - dinner lady with no kitchens.... I am also a parent helper - all the fun with little responsibility..

I feel as an educated lady - former marine radio engineer, that I can comment on some of the "real world" stuff. There are not many teachers at our school who do not realise what the world is like out there...

The older more experienced teachers have certainly seen a lot - going from the kids and parents being respectful of their position, to the current "phase" of seeing teachers as their "employees". The lack of respect I hear in the playground at drop off time astounds me.

The new teachers have certainly seen the real world and all it's financial instabilities. Have you tried getting on the courses, or attaining employment in a recession - alongside some very real debts which a lot of them will be paying off for over a decade.

The "in-betweenies" have had to expand their teaching experience through the "pc" world - where new initiatives and paperwork seem to increase exponentially, alongside the massive influx of technology into the teaching arena.

A lot seems to be expected of teachers - and from living in the real world myself, I have had no experience of the "bubble" that the teachers are supposedly a part of.

Remember schooling and education are both separate entities; WE are responsible for educating our children.

Tessa

Thanks goodness there are still teachers around like you. I hope you're standing your ground. :thumbsup2

I still correct every error. I like to go through the work with the students and give verbal feedback too - that way they can ask if they don't understand.

Damn right!! I teach A Level as well as key stages 3 and 4, and wow does it take me so much longer to plan and mark those lessons!!

I suppose the upside is not needing as much classroom management in the key stage :thumbsup2

:goodvibes

:thumbsup2 I teach year 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and I have a 6th form tutor group this year. I'm 0.5 fte! My AS/A2 lessons take the most preparation but I would still prefer post-16 than 30 Year 7's.;)

Hiya,

I'm in that delicious position of working in a primary school (2 daughters are pupils too) , though not a teacher.... I am a mid-day supervisor - dinner lady with no kitchens.... I am also a parent helper - all the fun with little responsibility..

I feel as an educated lady - former marine radio engineer, that I can comment on some of the "real world" stuff. There are not many teachers at our school who do not realise what the world is like out there...

The older more experienced teachers have certainly seen a lot - going from the kids and parents being respectful of their position, to the current "phase" of seeing teachers as their "employees". The lack of respect I hear in the playground at drop off time astounds me.

The new teachers have certainly seen the real world and all it's financial instabilities. Have you tried getting on the courses, or attaining employment in a recession - alongside some very real debts which a lot of them will be paying off for over a decade.

The "in-betweenies" have had to expand their teaching experience through the "pc" world - where new initiatives and paperwork seem to increase exponentially, alongside the massive influx of technology into the teaching arena.

A lot seems to be expected of teachers - and from living in the real world myself, I have had no experience of the "bubble" that the teachers are supposedly a part of.

Remember schooling and education are both separate entities; WE are responsible for educating our children.

Tessa

:flower3:

Hiya,

Tessa

I work in a pre-school, and the problems' start here. We are now working from the same book as schools. The new EYFS(early years foundation stage) gives children the right to say 'no' and we are supposed to respect that! How are we supposed to teach boundaries when if a 3 year old says no, he doesn't want to help with tidy up time/go out/say sorry etc; then that's OK!
In my experience, children need boundaries, and this isn't making it any easier for teachers'. I really cannot believe what my kids get away with in their school! They talk about 'respect', but have no idea what the word really means.The lack of 'respect' shown to teachers, and their (legal) ability to deal with it diminishes as the school years' progress.
I know I sound like an old fogey, but I totally respected my teachers, and I don't know when it all started to go wrong. Kids in my school wouldn't dream of back chatting a teacher as they would be punished. Now there doesn't seem to be a punishment 'scary' enough.
I'm not talking 'Tom Browns School days' here, but if teachers' don't have any authority how can they be expected to teach properly?

Most of the teachers' I come into contact with through my childrens' schools' are amazingly dedicated people, who have to put up with rubbish on a daily basis because they don't have the authority to act, and consequently the kids think they can get away with murder.
Sorry, this is a bit garbled and off topic, but relevent I think

Jules x

I'm a teacher and I always understood that parents were entitled to take their children out for 2 weeks holiday a year. After that absences were marked as unauthorised.

I'm a teacher and I always understood that parents were entitled to take their children out for 2 weeks holiday a year. After that absences were marked as unauthorised.

The Headteacher can authorise 10 days at his/her discretion. Unfortunately, leaving it to individual Heads makes the system seem very unfair to those who have their requests declined. The consensus appears to be that there isn't much the LEA can do if your only 'crime' is to take your child out of school for a family holiday.

If you you have 10 days authorised and then return after that date, your child's absences will (possibly) be marked as unauthorised.

My understanding is that this is at the discretion of the headteacher (who is no doubt dictated to from above). The reality is that many schools do so as not to affect their attendance figures, but the tide seems to be turning, judging by some of the experiences relayed in this thread.

No there are no underlying issues. You can make little quips like above all you want however the the situation is as follows

Either

A - I have underlying issues and have therefore completely fabricated the teachers strike of 08

Or

B- it actually did happen and as a result I am relatively intolerant to a proffesion that is big on talk of what0parents should and shouldn't do yet are happy to put my kids best interests to the back of thje priority list when it suits them.

I realise that not all teachers will have been on strike however enough must have felt it justified to pass a vote in at least one of the unions. If you didn't do it then I have no issue with you, therefore nothing to throw back at you and likwise you should have no issue with what I post because it is not aimed at you

No there are no underlying issues. You can make little quips like above all you want however the the situation is as follows

Either

A - I have underlying issues and have therefore completely fabricated the teachers strike of 08

Or

B- it actually did happen and as a result I am relatively intolerant to a proffesion that is big on talk of what0parents should and shouldn't do yet are happy to put my kids best interests to the back of thje priority list when it suits them.

I realise that not all teachers will have been on strike however enough must have felt it justified to pass a vote in at least one of the unions. If you didn't do it then I have no issue with you, therefore nothing to throw back at you and likwise you should have no issue with what I post because it is not aimed at you

The teacher's Strike of 2008. Was this a long winter of discontent? Or was this a 1 day strike two years ago by one minority union in England and Wales only?
The way you are talking us teachers are walking out every year for months at a time. No-one in my workplace has ever been on strike and some have been there for 25+ years. Clutching at straws Melly:sad2:

On a lighter note I would encourage my parents to go to Florida. :banana: Preferably in the holidays, but I understand that circumstances can be difficult. I just spent 5 minutes talking to a parent who has booked for August. Another child in my class is going in May....she is the brightest child in the class and I know the parental support will be there for her to catch up. I'll give her a pack of stuff she missed, but she will not fall behind at all...just that sort of pupil.

The teacher's Strike of 2008. Was this a long winter of discontent? Or was this a 1 day strike two years ago by one minority union in England and Wales only?
The way you are talking us teachers are walking out every year for months at a time. No-one in my workplace has ever been on strike and some have been there for 25+ years. Clutching at straws Melly:sad2:

you mean i missed a strike???
damn- i ll have to change unions, hey i didnt even know there had been a strike ... was the NUT? naughty teachers:rotfl:

i just think this is getting silly, teachers and parents alike think that reasonable consideration on both sides mean that kids dont suffer...
so why oh why Melly, are you being soooo difficult?:confused3:confused3
tracy

On a lighter note I would encourage my parents to go to Florida. :banana: Preferably in the holidays, but I understand that circumstances can be difficult. I just spent 5 minutes talking to a parent who has booked for August. Another child in my class is going in May....she is the brightest child in the class and I know the parental support will be there for her to catch up. I'll give her a pack of stuff she missed, but she will not fall behind at all...just that sort of pupil.

Maybe Melly lives in the area where that minority was on strike. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Most teachers are great, most parents teachers have to deal with are great. There will always be a few in both camps that are not.

I think most teachers do a fantastic job as does Melly as he has stated this previously, but just because he has come across some that he feels aren't doing a stellar job doesn't mean he has it in for all teachers in the country.

Kirsten

i just think this is getting silly, teachers and parents alike think that reasonable consideration on both sides mean that kids dont suffer...
so why oh why Melly, are you being soooo difficult?:confused3:confused3
tracy

Because Melly is playing devil's advocate. Naughty naughty Melly Welly.:lmao: I might have to put him/her in detention for disruptive behaviour.

Check out Melly's previous posts - he/she does this sort of thing a lot.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter