Seafood lovers?

jenniet01

Earning My Ears
I LOVE seafood. I booked the Palo brunch because it was the only menu that seemed to have a good medley of seafood. Does Cabanas still have a seafood buffet section (with CM serving)? Or has the seafood on board been significantly reduced? I’m debating canceling my Palo brunch reservation for two. Is the food really THAT great at Palo? And would it be my best chance to get all the seafood I want? And what about raw oysters? Any luck there? Should I satisfy my seafood cravings before boarding the ship? Any advice and opinions are greatly appreciated!

The MDRs will always have seafood options. Peel shrimp and crab claws are served at Cabanas. Pre-Covid Palo brunch was that great, but they are definitely missing some seafood options currently.

I do not recall ever seening raw oysters offered.

We have always had good luck with seafood on board.

There is still a "sampler plate" they offer at Palo with the seafood options and you can order as many as you like. (I actually didn't mind this change from the buffet because it helped me not to over eat.) It had the Tuna, "Open Faced" crab claws and a few other little options.

If you are on the Dream/Fantasy, make sure to keep an eye out for the Sea Bass at Enchanted Garden. It is easily my favorite fish on any of the ships (heck maybe even my favorite dish period) and always cooked perfectly. Virtually all of the menus have a seafood option (usually fish) and the grilled Salmon available at each meal if you want it. Animators Palate also has the Delicious Tuna Steak.

Cabanas has the Seafood Buffet still thankfully with rotating options. I have never seen raw oysters on a Disney ship. They do have Oysters Rockefeller on one of the menus (We encountered it on the 7 night Fantasy) which were decent. (I'd give them a 7 out of 10). There is also Lobster tail on the same menu if I remember right. It was our Formal night.

This is just a glimpse of the offerings, I'm sure I've forgotten some. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

I have reservations for dinner at Palo. Is the Dover Sole amazing? I've never had it at Palo but it's one of my favorite seafood dishes. I just want to know if it's worth ordering a la carte.

Last edited:
The scallops at Enchanted Garden is my favorite entree! I sorely miss snow crab legs At Cabanas, but they have been gone long before Covid. The hard crabs they have now hardly seem worth the effort to me. Peel and eat shrimp are good. The Dover Sole at Palo’s is very good if you enjoy capers. Happily, I do!

IMO the lobster bisque is NOT that bad. It has a stronger seafood flavor than some, but not horrible! I do prefer our local lobster bisque at the Lobster House in Cape May!

The lobster bisque is probably made with Caribbean rock lobster (no claws), more closely related to crayfish, rather then a real New England lobster (with claws). You should know the difference!

-Paul

The lobster bisque is probably made with Caribbean rock lobster (no claws), more closely related to crayfish, rather then a real New England lobster (with claws). You should know the difference!

-Paul

Most people don't know the difference. When we had it on board, I didn't hate it but I didnt love it. It was in the "Meh" category for me.

-Paul

Heck I was thinking it might be frozen langostino... but I don't really expect them to take high quality lobster and toss it in a bisque, it would almost be a shame if they did. The fat and dairy masks a lot anyway.

I ordered the Dover sole from Palo for the first time last week and was unimpressed. I might be spoiled by my local restaraunt where I usually eat the fish, but it's obvious the Dover sole on the Disney Fantasy is not anywhere close to being fresh. I joked with my wife that it tastes like it's been in the freezer since before the pandemic. It was very chewy and had to be cut with a knife.

I love seafood too. The peel and eat shrimp at cabanas is really good, but the crab is just ok. Palo brunch seafood was good, not great except for the excelled tuna, but I also had very good tuna at animators palate (ask for it rare though—medium rare risks coming out medium). The smoked salmon tartare at animators palate is my favorite dish on the ship. Second the prior poster’s recommendation for the enchanted garden sea bass.

I guess it is a mixed bag. I would not go to Palo brunch just for the seafood—there are seafood dishes elsewhere that are just as good or better on the ship.

I’ve never gone to palo for dinner so not sure if the sole is worth it, but the prior poster’s response doesn’t surprise me. The fact it has capers on it make me suspicious—if the fish were really fresh, you wouldn’t want to mask the fish’s natural mild sweet flavor with something as strong as capers, and sole that is frozen often has texture issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter