Second trip to Universal . . . and probably the last.

Wrong. Most people here dont compare the two. Common sense dictates they are a different product that can be enjoyed, differently. The whole "better" theory is just an opinion of each individual visitor.

Opinion and fact are very different. Had the OP stated their post as pure opinion I doubt it would have gotten this much attention. Its the stating of facts that were incorrect and the bashing element that really isn't necessary when offering an opinion.

Sorry, what i was getting at is many think the parks are similar in quality. Obviously both parks are extremely different for each other, which is why the work so well together.

Overall I don't see where this poster actually claimed things to be fact incorrectly. They may have been somewhat harsh in their posting, but it didn't seem like any fallacies were stated.

This whole thing about people comparing Universal parks to Disney got me thinking. I've realized that this is most likely a direct result of Universal's poor approach to marketing. Instead of hyping their own brand of entertainment, they compare it to Disney's and tell you why there's is better.

Maybe if Universal would wise up and leave Disney out of their marketing campaigns, people wouldnt' feel the need to compare the two. Honeslty, Universal played a large role in getting people to directly compare the two.

If Universal can't market itself without often taking shots at Disney, then why shouldn't someone compare the two? I mean Universal almost causes you to do so with the way they market.

It's just another way to look at reason that people compare the two resorts. Maybe I'm crazy, but if Universal could separate themselves in their own marketing, then maybe people would be more apt to look at their parks as something completely unrelated to Disney.

The OP seems to enjoy more of the things that Disney excels in, atmosphere/theming, customer service, etc. Unfortunately not everyone can like both parks and the op is entitled to their opinion.

Disney excels in customer service? My experience has been quite the opposite, and it was actually the Team Members at USO that saved our last initial "Disney-only" vacation. The service my family has received from Universal hotels, parks and restaurants far surpasses the service we've received from WDW in the past ten years.

Yes, there was a time, around 15, 20 years ago, that CMs excelled in customer service, but those days are long, long gone. And I'm not faulting the individuals employed by WDW. I know a lot of former employees of WDW (all in the animation and graphic arts departments), and it's no wonder WDW employees have gone sour. Their pay and benefits are a joke.

Disney excels in customer service? My experience has been quite the opposite, and it was actually the Team Members at USO that saved our last initial "Disney-only" vacation. The service my family has received from Universal hotels, parks and restaurants far surpasses the service we've received from WDW in the past ten years.

Yes, there was a time, around 15, 20 years ago, that CMs excelled in customer service, but those days are long, long gone. And I'm not faulting the individuals employed by WDW. I know a lot of former employees of WDW (all in the animation and graphic arts departments), and it's no wonder WDW employees have gone sour. Their pay and benefits are a joke.

I mean I've had good and bad experiences at both parks. It just seems that lately Universal has been compromising part of the guest experience in order to make a few extra bucks. I don't know about you, but I haven't heard of or seen Disney allowing its guests to be harrassed by time share or credit card companies while on their property. That's just inexcusable.

I'm by no means saying that Universal is horrible at customer service, but in my experiences Disney has them beat pretty well in that category.

I mean I've had good and bad experiences at both parks. It just seems that lately Universal has been compromising part of the guest experience in order to make a few extra bucks. I don't know about you, but I haven't heard of or seen Disney allowing its guests to be harrassed by time share or credit card companies while on their property. That's just inexcusable.

I'm by no means saying that Universal is horrible at customer service, but in my experiences Disney has them beat pretty well in that category.

Disney compromised my park experience in order to make a few extra bucks when they charged me $10 to have my taxi drop me off at Animal Kingdom. Guest Services thought there was absolutely nothing wrong with this policy and thought I was out of my mind to think there was. Now that was pretty low.

However, I didn't jump on the computer when I came home and write a trip report on how we only rode 5 rides all day at Animal Kingdom after arriving before opening and how I got ripped off at the front gates.

Both Universal and Disney are out to make money. I think Universal is a much better bang for my buck but I would never, ever rush over to the Disney trip report boards to start a thread about my opinion because I know it would benefit absolutely no one and probably tick off quite a few.

I don't think that Disney people have an inferiority complex but they certainly seem to want to validate their passion by putting down the passion of others. That isn't what the spirit of these boards is about. At least I thought the purpose of these boards was to help others.

No argument at all about the good and bad experiences at both parks. But the last two years in particular, in our experience, USO service has blown WDW service out of the water.

First, the obvious one: 10 - 20 percent off all meals and purchases just by being an AP holder at USO. That, to me, is the ultimate customer service. I'm being rewarded by USO by eating and shopping in their parks. My pass pays for itself after a couple fine meals and a day of shopping. WDW is in effect pushing away FL residents and locals right into the welcoming arms of USO. They're just not competing for my business the way USO is.

The other experiences are purely personal ones, but involve serious sanitation issues at a WDW hotel and the response from housekeeping and hotel management, as well as a psycho bag checker in front of Epcot who felt it necessary to literally scream and humiliate guests without bags entering the park. I'm not nit-picky, realize everyone has a bad day -- including myself -- but the WDW I've visited eight to twelve times a year for 30 years has undergone some serious changes in the service department.

And I do wish they would fix it.

I could not disagree more. I am SURE it has been said but the two cannot be compared. Our Ds had a blast there and we loved the different experiences we had there. I don't think you gave it enough time. Plus Shrek is awesome I would not have missed that. We spent 5 days there and it was a great time.

No argument at all about the good and bad experiences at both parks. But the last two years in particular, in our experience, USO service has blown WDW service out of the water.

since it's 2007, I'm going to stretch it to three years. and yes, I've stopped into guest services to give a TM name for an accolade.

I just don't understand why people take the time to write these Universal bashing posts here on the Universal boards. What are they trying to do? :confused3 It doesn't help people who are planning trips.

I disagree. I'm planning a trip and the responses to the OP help in trip planning. Before reading this thread I was bumming about the "long" walk from the parking garage, but now I'm psyched that my car won't be 105 and I was also reminded what a PITA it is to get into MK. By the end of our Disney trip I couldn't wait to say "Adios" to the monorail and yet I still love the MK.
I think most savvy travelers know that no two trips will be alike, even when the destination is the same. It was easy to see the negative attitude the OP had in going back to US/IOA and those kind of posts aren't as offputting as you would think. I think most people know that good planning and a good attitude go a long way towards having a good experience.

It was easy to see the negative attitude the OP had in going back to US/IOA and those kind of posts aren't as offputting as you would think. I think most people know that good planning and a good attitude go a long way towards having a good experience.

Just to clarify something, we didn't have a negative attitude going into US/IOA. We were tired, but we didn't have a negative attitude. We had been out late the night before with EMH and had been going nonstop since we got to Orlando. It wasn't a negative experience so much as there just doesn't seem to be much that we like at US/IOA. As I've said, we aren't thrill ride people. If you are a thrill ride person, then I can see where US/IOA would be great. The rides we did go on were fun and we enjoyed them, but there weren't that many. Last time we did Terminator and Shrek 4D, but decided to skip both of those this time because we did have to go back to our resort to pack for an early morning flight the next day. My sister had wanted to go to US/IOA more so than I did because I didn't feel like I would be able to really get my money's worth since I knew there wasn't much that I would like since I don't like coasters, etc. The reason I said I probably won't go back is because I don't think I get my money's worth since the majority of the rides don't appeal to me. Also if my original post came off as negative it would be because I typed it up at work and was probably annoyed by my co-workers whose only real skill is annoying me, but that is a whole thread all on its on. We had a good experience at US/IOA, but will probably skip it in the future because there just isn't enough there for us since we don't like thrill rides. And I reread what I wrote and some of it was said with sarcasm that doesn't really translate over the Internet.

I hope I don't come off as trying to start a debate and if you think your post wan't negative in tone you are certainly entitled to believe/assert that.

BUT..... "My sister had wanted to go to US/IOA more so than I did because I didn't feel like I would be able to really get my money's worth since I knew there wasn't much that I would like since I don't like coasters, etc." really comes off as negative.

AND.... "We had been out late the night before with EMH and had been going nonstop since we got to Orlando." sounds a little like poor planning. That can often lead to people having a less than stellar time.

I support your right to post your experience however you wish and everyone will interprete it differently. I was challenging the assertion that "negative" posts have no value for trip planners, but I think the resulting discussions DO help.

And I agree sarcasm over the internet is tough.

BUT..... "My sister had wanted to go to US/IOA more so than I did because I didn't feel like I would be able to really get my money's worth since I knew there wasn't much that I would like since I don't like coasters, etc." really comes off as negative.
To me its not negative so much as realistic. I did want to go, but was trying to say that she wanted to go more than I did. I was really hesitant about spending that much money when I knew that there wasn't much that appealed to me.

AND.... "We had been out late the night before with EMH and had been going nonstop since we got to Orlando." sounds a little like poor planning. That can often lead to people having a less than stellar time.
I agree. This was the first trip where my sister did the planning. Normally I do the planning and have learned from experience to not try cramming too much in, planning rests. etc. Last time we did IOA/US on separate days. I offered advice and suggestions, but like usual she didn't always listen because she knew what she wanted to do. ;) This was her birthday trip and I let her plan. I planned my birthday trip the way I wanted and allowed her to do the same. She did the best planning she could and overall it wasn't that bad for her first time planning the whole trip. Would I have done US/IOA the last day after spending a late night at MK EMH, probably not, but this was her trip. In some ways it was nice not being responsible for all the planning and won't hesitate to let her plan future trips if she wants to take the reins.

Like we always say, you see what you want to see at Universal.

Very well said and I believe this is true of most things. While I am sure the OP has valid points, the expectation was that this is not going to be as good as Disney and they got exactly what they expected to get. :sad1:
We are all entitled to our opinions, but I agree with others that this may not be the best forum to bash US/IOA.

DH and I are planning our first trip to US/IOA this September...5 days at Disney then 4 days at HRH...FOTL sounds wonderful. We are going with NO expectations other than we will have a fabulous time.:woohoo: I am, however, doing my homework before we go...lurking on this board has been very helpful.

Last year we spent $80 to attend Mickey's Halloween shindig...just the two of us. While it is not something we will do again (without kids), we still had a great time. We enjoyed the parade, fireworks, decorations, and even went trick or treating! Halloween Horror Nights is on the agenda this year and I know we will enjoy this as much if not more...regardless of crowds and whether we get to see and do everything we plan. We will enjoy Disney for all it has to offer and do the same when we get to Universal!

I'm sorry you're getting so flamed here for just stating what you feel.

The people on this message board get SO UPTIGHT over anyone who didn't have the time of their lives at Universal. I'll probably get ripped to shreds over just posting this!

We're taking my Mom to US for her first time the end of this month. We're also staying at the HRH so we can enjoy fotl (wouldn't do it any other way). But, one day is enough for us and right now with a 6 year old daughter US is the better of the two parks for us. We LOVE that park and that fact that we can tour it in under 6 hours with the fotl.

But, we are Disney lovers at heart and always will be. There is just something wonderful and happy about that place and it seems you feel the same way, too!

Sorry again you got bashed over posting your opinion of the parks.

Whoa that is the most anoying signature I have ever seen. Is that huge picture necessary?

Whoa that is the most anoying signature I have ever seen. Is that huge picture necessary?

Actually, that signature is in direct violation of board rules:

10. SIGNATURES: Your graphics may not exceed 550 pixels in width in total and or 200 pixels in height individually.
There is a limit of 3 graphics not including smilies.
Clipart may not exceed a cumulative size of 50,000 bytes (50k)
You may have up to 12 lines of text maximum in your signature inclusive of any code required to post your selected graphics
Links that lead to other sites must follow the rules stated in Guideline no. 8
The DIS reserves the right to remove any clipart, even if it meets these standards, that causes technical problems with the boards, or that we deem inappropriate.
If you have any questions or need help please visit our Tech Support Board
Please note that the Official WISH clipart is exempt from these rules as are the Official Sponsor graphics.

Also found here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

If only those rules were enforced.... Then maybe more then 4 posts could fit per page. I sware they need a mod who just goes around and bans these people with signatures longer then then an encyclopedia.

There is a triangle with "!" in the middle of it. This reports posts that are in violation of rules. You can't expect the mods to read every single post. If a post or a signature violates the rules, then you can alert the mods to the problem. It works much better than complaining about it on the thread.

just a thought

OP - an admitted disney fanatic (not that theres anything wrong with that) - came to the US/IOA board as many others also do, to be negative about US/IOA and wonders why he get flamed.

If I went to the disney boards - jeez there are so many of them compared to Universal and the whole darn thing IS callled DISBOARDS anyway, so which way would the slant be? - but I digress.

Any if I went to A disney board and posted a negative comment about one of the parks or one of the hotels would I not also get flamed?

We were at disney last June and the magic was not there. I will likely go back to the parks disney hotels - no way - too expensive and no comparison to my favorite - Hard Rock Hotel.

A week at a Universal Hotel is less expensive than a week at a comparable disney hotel with a similar package. It has been proven time and time again.

Must agree - sarcasm on message boards is never received as you intended it.

OMG - can you ever forgive me for being in direct violation of board rules??? Please????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter