"Self Extending" policy

KelleyGirl

Mouseketeer
We just got back from a stay at the HRH and we loved it. I was so worried after reading the posts here, and although the carpets were worn and some stained, we overall loved it there and would go back again. I would highly suggest reserving the Cabana. They're the best! I did learn something new, while there. The staff calls it Self Extending your stay. We splurged and reserved the Kids Suite for the last night of our stay. We were all very excited, since we don't usually splurge on room types. The kids had seen the internet pictures and couldn't wait. We checked out in the morning, visited Sea World, and returned in the evening for our relaxing night in the Kids Suite... NOT. The room was not available. Apparently, the people that were supposed to check out that day requested one more night, were told they couldn't have it and that the room was reserved, so they just decided not to leave, and by law, could not be evicted!!!! This is self extending your stay. I wanted to find that room and have those selfish guests explain to my children why they weren't getting the room they were expecting! We did get another suite and a drop in price, but that wasn't the point. The manager explained that our room we were getting was bigger and better - again not the point. I'm curious if anyone here has ever had this happen to them?

Wowsers!! I have never heard of anything like this before, and would NEVER have the "you know what''s to just not leave. Crazy.....

We had three nights booked at the HRH starting on the 18th. We arrived at around 10:30PM from Epcot after watching Illuminations. We were told the hotel was overbooked due to guests extending their stays, they didn't mention this concept of "self-extending". The HRH put us up in a room at the Peabody. The hotel staff went out of their way to be helpful and the Hard Rock did not charge us for the night and sent up a fruit tray the next day when we did check in.

They could have been lying. In my younger days I worked in a hotel and when they would overbook we had to "walk" people to another hotel. Usually paying for that night and their next night at our hotel at a discount or something. We were told to always tell them that we had people unexpectedly stay over. It is true that you cannot force them to leave, but you can charge them the rack rate. That is why rack rates are so high, and you rarely ever pay them for a regular visit. Almost always, we ran out of rooms because of overbooking (not uncommon at all, almost all hotels will do it). They would usually book the hotel to about 105% occupancy, because often people do not show up.

This happened to us this past July. We had booked the Graceland Suite with an adjoining bedroom. Well the Graceland Suite only sleeps three and there was four of us. The people in the adjoining room that was reserved for us just didn't leave. When they returned from the parks their keys wouldn't work. There was quite a scene in the concierge lounge. No one there knew that I was the one sitting there that was suppose to be checking in to that room. The man in the room kept yelling "tell the other people to go to a different hotel." Of course HRH wasn't about to do that because they'd loose the Graceland Suite being booked too. They quietly explained to him that his reservation was for only that morning and he should have checked out. We couldn't check in because their stuff was still in the room. Finally his attitude changed when the manager told him he would comp him the extra night at PBH if he would move. We still didn't get checked in to the room until after 7:00pm because of the mess they had made in the room. They came back from the parks around 4:00pm. HRH took $150 off of the extra room due to the late check-in. The hotel handled this about as well as anyone could expect, but it really surprised me with the attitude this guy had.

I don't see how people can live with themselves after doing something like this.
On our last day, we check out on time at 11am because we know they need to get the room ready for others.
People abusing the grace period is the reason most rooms are not ready until 5 or 6pm.

Well, I guess it sounds like this isn't so uncommon. We have stayed at Disney many times and this never happened to us. There is an understanding that when you make a request, you may or may not get it, but to not even get the room type (garden, pool, suite, etc) or worse yet, as was for higgyman, to not even have a room at the resort? Nobody wants to go home at the end of the vacation, but I have never considered just staying after I was told no availability... thanks for your stories.

Well, I may have taken higgyman's room, but not on purpose.

We inquired at check in (8/15) about staying another night, which would have been 8/18. The girl said no, they were sold out, ok fine. Well the next day while sitting at the pool, I decided to just call HRH hotel reservations and inquire again (sometimes things change). When I called, I just asked if they had availability for the night of the 18th. The girl said yes and quoted me $219 for standard room. I said ok, then told her I was already staying at the hotel and just wanted to add another night, but I didn't want to have to switch rooms. She then put me on hold and came back and said it was all set, I wouldn't have to switch rooms and I would get the entertainment rate of $134, which I was paying for my other nights. I said great! So it is the hotel's fault if they are overbooking.

I would never just not leave a hotel just because I wanted to stay longer. I would be afraid I would come back to find all my belongings out in the hall!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter