Sell me on Aulani

Throwing 2 cents in even though I’ve been to Hawaii only once and stayed at Outrigger Reef in Waikiki

Even though Aulani looks amazing I have no plans to stay there. Hawaii, for us anyway, was such an active vacation. We had no desire to stay at the resort all day. The only meal we had at the resort was breakfast and we spent maybe one afternoon at the pool and one at the beach (plentiful loungers btw, although paid for them on the beach).

Otherwise we were all over the island (rented a car but also used bus and taxis) seeing the sites.

i don’t think I could ever justify the added cost unless I planned on lots of resort time which isn’t going to happen for me in Hawaii.

That being said, if I could get Aulani at like half the going rate sign me up!

I am a Marriott Koolina and Aulani owner that happens to be a local homeowner living 5 minutes away. Koolina is a resort community that has hotels, timeshares and homes in the resort area.

There is a lot to do on Oahu as there is hiking to the lighthouse at Makapuu, Pearl Harbor memorial with USS Missouri, Punchbowl, Polynesian cultural center, museums, sugar plantation, etc. You can make it as adventurous or relaxing as you like. Some like to spend their whole vacation and never leave the resort except to venture out for food. Others go out every day and explore the island. Then there are those that choose to spend some time at the resort and go out and explore the island. Only you know what type of family you fit into.

If you are the park commando type and staying at least 8 nights in Hawaii, I would do 4 nights on each island. That will give you 4 days on each island if this is your once in a lifetime trip to Hawaii. If you do island hop you will probably lose most of that day. If you have breakfast and checkout at 10am, load vehicle and drive to airport for interisland flight by 1200pm. Flight takes all of 30 minutes. Deplaning, picking up your luggage and then getting a rental car will take you to 2pm or so. Then driving to your new hotel will put you right at check in time. It will be at least 5 to 6 hours of travel time to get to your new hotel on another island. You could stay as others have suggested 2 nights at Marriott Koolina then do 2 nights at Aulani.

If you are the more relax at resort or the hit the parks in the morning then go back to resort for nap/pool time then I would say staying on one island is more your style. You could do 4 nights at Marriott and then 4 nights at Aulani to see the difference of both resorts and that would give you enough time to experience the resort. I would not like to pack, goto airport, go to new hotel and then unpack. We like to check into one resort for our whole trip at WDW.

Differences between Marriott and Aulani has been mentioned previously by others. Marriott is quieter and laid back vibe compared to the louder and more park like setting of Aulani. You can do 1br at Marriott. When you arrive ask for a roll away and you can put that in the study by the master bedroom. Gives you older one a little more privacy and he can have their own "room". The sofa bed in living room converts into a queen sized sleeper. At Aulani your kids will all be in the living room and one will have the murphy bed under the TV and the others will share the full size sleeper sofa. Bathrooms are about the same between the two. Both have full kitchens and washer/dryer in room. Aulani provides the same kitchen ware as the DVC units at WDW but you also get a rice cooker at Aulani. I find that the Marriotts at Koolina and Florida to provide a more complete set of kitchenware compared to DVC. Marriott Koolina 1br villas are 920 square feet vs Aulani 1br villas at 756 square feet.

As others have posted, Aulani is more "busy" and Marriott is more quiet. I think your young ones would like Aulani more as there are a lot more things for them to do and with a lot of Disney touches makes it magical. Marriott is a great resort but is a more laid back vibe. They both provide resort amenities and feel. As cmrdgrs has said the pool hours at Aulani are shorter than at Marriott. The adults only infinity hot tub is great at Aulani (especially at sunset) but the Marriott has 7 hot tubs and do not close till 11pm. Also the temps at Aulani are not as hot as the Marriott. Aulani has a great lazy river and two slides that are great. One is a long dark slide and the other slide you use a tube to ride down that ends in the lazy river(make sure you do the double tube with your husband or children). Marriott has one dark slide that does not compare to the Aulani one. Aulani has many crafts and activities that Marriott does not do. Also there is the trail that you use an Ipad to unlock some of that Disney magic at Aulani.

We like both resorts a lot but spend more time at Marriott now. When my son was younger he did not like to stay at Marriott Koolina and preferred Aulani. When he was around 12 years old, he told me he prefers to stay at Marriott instead. Now we only stay at Aulani when we have visitors or when I take my nieces and nephews for staycation. We have celebrated every Christmas at Aulani but this year, will be the first since Aulani opened, that we will be at Marriott instead. Now he is of that age that Disney is not magical anymore and the rides are to tame. We were in Orlando in June and he was sure happy that we did not go to WDW since it was closed. Will be back in Oct for Halloween and told him we will be doing WDW especially ROR. He was not to thrilled and asked to skip WDW like the summer trip. Told him that he will love ROR like he does Space Mtn and Expedition Everest.

PM me if you have any questions and I will help you as much as I can. If you can tell me what your idea of a vacation in Hawaii is, that would help me figure out what you would like to do. Many folks have said that this is their one trip to Hawaii but have now have visited many times. Whatever you decide to do, I am sure you will have a great stay.

We definitely will be doing 2 islands. Hoping to split the difference between relaxed and adventurous.

I'm fairly sure that we won't be going back at least anytime soon after our trip in 2022. Just so many places we want to see. I could see probably just 1 or 2 full on resort days. We like to get out and experience as much of the places we visit as possible with 3 kids. When we do WDW we rarely take resort breaks.

Even though Aulani looks amazing I have no plans to stay there. Hawaii, for us anyway, was such an active vacation. We had no desire to stay at the resort all day.
I always tell advice seekers on here that you should go wanting a Hawaii vacation rather than an Aulani vacation. If you're only going to Hawaii to see Aulani and don't plan to explore, you'll be sorely disappointed. Even the designers of Aulani assumed most people staying there would be out exploring the island all day, which is often why people complain the resort is too small and crowded feeling - everyone underestimated the amount of people who come and stay at the resort without leaving. Personally, I can't imagine spending the time and money to go to Hawaii and not leave the resort. There are better beaches and resorts in other parts of the country that are cheaper and easier to get to. But its Hawaii that can't be replicated. So I definitely agree that its good to consider that when deciding where to stay.

All of that said, when we stayed, we had a total of 9 days on Oahu to work with and split our time by staying 3 nights in Waikiki and 6 nights at Aulani. We did every other day as a resort day/touring day during the Aulani part of our stay, and did the spa on one of our resort days. This plan worked out well - we enjoyed all the resort amenities and were never bored, but felt we got to see and do everything we wanted on Oahu without feeling rushed.

Frank808 gave a great comparison between the Marriott Ko Olina and Aulani. We’ve owned at the Marriott for years, as well as lived in Kailua (moved to Maryland 21 years ago).

I’ve never stayed at Aulani, but have walked through a few times. It always seems a bit too crowded, even on the beach, to me. The Marriott is much more spread out; we always find a pool chair (never get up super early to reserve them). The villas are larger, we also get a rollaway most trips for the study (it has doors that close, so makes a tiny extra bedroom).

Another difference is that I understand Aulani limits grills being open for only a few hours in the evening; Marriott has 3 sets of grills that are available pretty much any time. I often will grill at lunchtime if we are in the mood (we eat in a lot there, other than lunch out if we’re driving around).

We always go for at least 2 weeks, as coming from the East Coast it’s a long day getting there. 3 years ago, my youngest and I stayed a month (studio for two weeks, then moved to the one bedroom when my oldest and DH joined us). We met many other folks who stay as long. It’s more of a “vacation home” to us. We don’t care for packing up and flying to another island; call me lazy! That being said, I’ve been to the other islands, and each is unique. The Big Island was our favorite, Kauai was nice for the weekend trips we made, Maui was okay for nice resorts.

Holy heck we were there the same time too, March 14-20! LOL We didn't cut our trip short though, those were always our dates. I remember trying to social distance by the pools (HA! as if!) and telling my family to stay out of the hot tubs (people soup) LOL Oh how I miss the lazy river.......

Some of the people in the hot tubs were being SOOOOO dumb! Like grouping together in big groups to take selfies to prove they weren't social distancing... ugh...

We did go in them when there weren't other people in them and otherwise mostly stayed at the adult pool (which was basically empty).

One thing COVID related thing that happened that we didn't like... we wanted to snorkel and we had our own masks/snorkels. But they wanted us to blow air into the vests and we didn't want to put our mouths on them, so they wouldn't let us snorkel. (We did get our money back though.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter