• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Senior "accident" protection - Recommended Brands?

michellex2

Mouseketeer
I looking for suggestions for my 84 year old mother for an adult Depends type product. Although she is not incontinent, she tends to need to urinate frequently and has trouble "holding it", hence tends to obsess about needing to go the the bathroom. I think if she had an adult protection device on, she would be able to relax more while we're at the parks, as finding a restroom, getting in and out of the wheelchair, etc., can take time depending on where we're at. Does anyone know enough about these products to recommend a comfortable and effective brand that would not be obvious under clothing. She is quite small - 5' and 100 lbs.

Hi Michelle, my Mom (64, but has issues with both mobility and bladder control) uses the Depends that go on like underwear when she knows she is probably going to be in a situation where she will have an "accident". Other times she prefers the StayFree Ultra pads. I just asked her about the Poise pads the other day, and she said she has not tried them yet, since the Stay Free Ultra's work for her. I guess you should just get a few different kinds and see what Mom prefers!
Ann

A lot depends (pun intended) on how much protection she needs.
If she wants a full brief, then a product like Depends is a good choice. Look for one that has sort of "gathering" on the sides to make a closer fit. The adult products tend to be sized by hip or waist size, rather than weight. Some of them are not really small enough to fit a small adult.
Another choice, since she is rather small, would be to look at Goodnights in the actual children's diaper aisle. They are not for toddlers - they are made for older children who have incontinence or night time accidents. The large-X Large size says it fits 84-125 pounds. Those are what my DD wears for nighttime use and they do fit un-obtrusively, even for daytime use.

As was already mentioned, another option is pads. Those come in various sizes, depending on how much absorbancy is needed; as the absorbancy increases, so does the size, thickness and price. During the day, my DD uses Poise pads.
One thing with the pads, you do need to have faily tight fitting underwear to hold them in place.

SueM in MN said:
Another choice, since she is rather small, would be to look at Goodnights in the actual children's diaper aisle. They are not for toddlers - they are made for older children who have incontinence or night time accidents. The large-X Large size says it fits 84-125 pounds. Those are what my DD wears for nighttime use and they do fit un-obtrusively, even for daytime use.

I second this suggustion. I think these work better then Depends - unfortunately my daughter outgrew the Goodnights.

Tena pull ups are a good product, they aren't too bulky and they will also hold a separate incontinence pad in place. The pull ups are easier for people who don't have a second person to help them because I don't know anyone that could easily fit the diaper / tape like tabs on the side type by themselves. (ok, hold this side in place and then grab the , ooops lost the first side... type of deal)

Plus the pull ups are small enough to pack in a purse. I use the extra absorbent pad in them with the people I support because when there is an initial accident you just need to remove the pad, the pull up is still fresh.

Hope this has been a help to someone..

Poise pads for the sneezing fit or coughing fit. I have thought about trying the depends briefs....if they don't look bulky and can be pulled up and down several times a day....disposable underwear you don't have to wash or pack back home would be nice....plus you could carry an extra pair....just in case! And let's not even talk about what can happen to an adult with irritable bowel syndrome!

Just wanted to add:
Goodnights are a pull up product that is more or less disposable underwear.
If they are dry, you can pull them up and down like underwear. If they are wet, you can either pull them up and throw them away or actually tear them along the side "seam" to make them easier to take off.

Also, wehn looking at pads, there is usually some information on the outside back of the package about absorbancy. Many of the companies make multiple different sizes/absorbancies of products. They usually have a "key" on the back of the package that ranks their product by how much protection it provides. Some are for light (the "cough protection"), some will hold a lot more.

Another thing you might want to try. My doctor prescribed me something called Oxytrol. It is a patch that is changed twice a week. It has really cut down on many of the little problems I had! The only time I wear protection now is when I'm camping and the facilities are more than 100 yards away!! And that is really only a precautionary measure.

Carol

clkelley said:
Another thing you might want to try. My doctor prescribed me something called Oxytrol. It is a patch that is changed twice a week. It has really cut down on many of the little problems I had! The only time I wear protection now is when I'm camping and the facilities are more than 100 yards away!! And that is really only a precautionary measure.

Carol
Very good point.
There are things that can be done to help. It's a problem that embarasses some people, so they don't ask or they don't think that anything can be done, so they live with it. But, in some cases, there are good treatments; it depends on the problem.

I just got my HDIS cataolg yesterday. My DS10 still wears diapers and we order them from HDIS. They carry just about everything you could ever want for incontinence of any kind. You can even order samples to try out. I have talked to the customer service reps many times and always found them to be very knowlegable, sometimes even recommending a different product that worked better for us. The web address is <www.hdis.com> or you can call 1-800-269-4663

Thanks much for all the information. I ordered one of the sample packs from HDIS to get a sense for different options.

Just received a "sample pack" that I ordered from HDIS for a think $11. Geeze! Who would have thought that there were this many options for protective underwear. (I ordered the pack that has pull up disposable underwear types.) There must be 30 pairs of different brands, etc. -- if one of these doesn't work for her, then I don't think anything well. Now, the question is how do I decide !?!? Fortunately, she and I are basically the same size, so I can try them on first for fit and comfort then narrow down the options to 2 or 3 brands, then let her give those a try. Thanks again for the input!

michellex2 said:
Just received a "sample pack" that I ordered from HDIS for a think $11. Geeze! Who would have thought that there were this many options for protective underwear. (I ordered the pack that has pull up disposable underwear types.) There must be 30 pairs of different brands, etc. -- if one of these doesn't work for her, then I don't think anything well. Now, the question is how do I decide !?!? Fortunately, she and I are basically the same size, so I can try them on first for fit and comfort then narrow down the options to 2 or 3 brands, then let her give those a try. Thanks again for the input!
Amazing, isn't it? You have a good idea. Anybody would be overwhelmed with 30 samples. Toss the ones you definitley can't use and be sure your mom is keeping notes so she'll know when she has a winner. They all cost different amounts so keep trying them until you find the perfect fit at the cheapest price. :sunny:

anyone know if any of the brands sold in the stores are good for a loss of bowel control and not just bladder problems?

ain't MS wonderful!

dj2 said:
anyone know if any of the brands sold in the stores are good for a loss of bowel control and not just bladder problems?

ain't MS wonderful!
The briefs would be. Pads (no matter wherre you bought them from are not usually long enough to cover the area that needs protection from bowel incontinence.

The briefs (underwear types) sold in stores are the same types sold by companies like HDIS. The ones you will find in stores are either national brands (like Depends) or store brands. Companies like HDIS sell the national brands, plus some that are pretty much the same, but manufactured for nursing homes and hospitals. Plus, they would have more generic brands.

What's great about HDIS, is that you can order your incontinence supplies on a
"Personalized Delivery Plan" in which they will ship your incontinence supplies to you every 2-5 weeks, or once every three months, depending on when you need them. My mother orders Tranquility "All-Through-The-Night" briefs on a "Personalized Delivery Plan" for me, and they are SO WONDERFUL!!! The hard part for me, is getting them on myself, as I require help getting them on. But, put them together with a pad that absorbs the most liquid, and it does wonders with keeping me, and my sheets dry at night. Plus, my wheelchair cushions in both of my wheelchairs, dry too.

Samantha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter