• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sensory friendly bathroom tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, just wow. I can’t believe someone blamed you for their child wetting themselves. When my mom was dealing with her ostomy bag, sometimes it was just a quick remove and empty, and sometimes the mount would come loose and everything would need to be replaced, which took time to get the seal right. She couldn’t see it well enough to do it herself, so companion bathrooms were the only option we had when out in public. I don’t know how I would have reacted if someone had harassed us for the amount of time we needed to get it right.
I just said sorry and walked off. figured if they really wanted/expected me to pay they could get security to find me. many families feel that companion bathrooms are family bathrooms that you are just in and out

He seemed like he was going to go for them at one point, then started insisting that I cover his ears instead. I think having the physical contact with me is reassuring in addition to blocking the noise. Good point that it’s wise to not give up though! So many times just when I think he’ll never want to do X, he surprises me and all of the sudden he’s fine with it. It sounds like you’ve done a lot to help your grandson, btw!
It seems like my grandson goes through many phases of sensory problems over time, and we figure out ways to overcome them on his terms. Disney always seems to bring great challenges and progress. His teachers were surprised how talkative he becomes about Disney. He has a Disney count down board which helps him with math.

I just said sorry and walked off. figured if they really wanted/expected me to pay they could get security to find me. many families feel that companion bathrooms are family bathrooms that you are just in and out
That’s the only way you can deal with it.
I have had people say « these are for families. You people have stalls in each restroom you can use ».
It doesn’t happen real often, but MK is the park it’s most likely to happen at. If it does, we just use First Aid after that. Inconvenient, but better than being harassed.

That’s the only way you can deal with it.
I have had people say « these are for families. You people have stalls in each restroom you can use ».
It doesn’t happen real often, but MK is the park it’s most likely to happen at. If it does, we just use First Aid after that. Inconvenient, but better than being harassed.
I'd just point to the "Companion Restroom" sign, and smile.

I pointed to the sign (which does show a wheelchair and my daughter is using a wheelchair). The people that are going to harass usually are not real amenable to having things pointed out to them
Only time it ever happened to us, I very kindly offered to go to Guest Relations with them, so that we could solve the problem together.

They didn't like that. I don't know why...

I pointed to the sign (which does show a wheelchair and my daughter is using a wheelchair). The people that are going to harass usually are not real amenable to having things pointed out to them
That's true, and so unnecessary of them - makes me want to print out "not a family restroom" signs to hang up on the doors :) Of course I'm kidding, well, sort of. It's the rule follower part of my brain - the regular bathrooms are all family friendly, and if there's a gaggle of kids with adults, they can split up. If it's one parent and lots of kids (more than 2) then maybe they should bring another adult, IMO. Their poor planning is not anyone else's problem.

That's true, and so unnecessary of them - makes me want to print out "not a family restroom" signs to hang up on the doors :) Of course I'm kidding, well, sort of. It's the rule follower part of my brain - the regular bathrooms are all family friendly, and if there's a gaggle of kids with adults, they can split up. If it's one parent and lots of kids (more than 2) then maybe they should bring another adult, IMO. Their poor planning is not anyone else's problem.
I was with you until the comment about more than 2 kids and poor planning. That’s as unkind as many of the other things reported here. Plenty of single-parent families have more than 2 kids, and have no one else that can travel with them. If the choice is to go with one adult or not go adult at all, are they supposed to stay home? Let’s assume everyone’s doing the best that they can.

Some quieter bathroom locations:

At Epcot there are bathrooms behind the Figment building. A lot of people don't know it's there so it's not as crowded. I don't know if it has the self flushing toilets but I'm going to assume it does since most of them do. There are also bathrooms upstairs in the Land building just outside of the restaurant, they don't get as crowded as the ones downstairs outside of Soarin.

At MK there are bathrooms in the old restaurant building they use for the dessert party (sorry can't remember the name of the building). Again, not used by as many people. There are also bathrooms behind the stage where characters come out near the COP, again not used as often as others.

At HS there are bathrooms sort of next to the Chinese Theater. Again, sort of isolated so not used as often. Push comes to shove, there are bathrooms to the left when you walk into HBD, technically for the people eating there but if you are polite and explain the situation to CMs at the front desk you shouldn't have any problems.

At AK there are bathrooms behind the theater where Nemo is, unless a show is letting out (in that case avoid them at all costs) they are almost always empty. If you wanted to ride the train (which might be out of the question) the ones at Planet Watch are not usually busy.

It's sad when entitlement extends to a bathroom. I'm definitely not referring to people using them as intended and needed or having to take an extended amount of time. It's the impatience or being a bathroom overlord that gets to me and I don't even need or use one!

I was with you until the comment about more than 2 kids and poor planning. That’s as unkind as many of the other things reported here. Plenty of single-parent families have more than 2 kids, and have no one else that can travel with them. If the choice is to go with one adult or not go adult at all, are they supposed to stay home? Let’s assume everyone’s doing the best that they can.
One adult to the bathroom - I wasn't clear on that and I'm sorry. I was talking about wanting to take many children into a large bathroom because they wouldn't all fit in one regular stall. Of course, if one adult does go to WDW with a cluster of kids under the age of 7, then they're going to be out of luck going on any attractions that require an adult sit with a child under the age of 7 anyways. So one adult with a 6 yr old, a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old and a baby isn't getting on anything that I can think of besides IASW, Jungle Cruise and PotC.

One adult to the bathroom - I wasn't clear on that and I'm sorry. I was talking about wanting to take many children into a large bathroom because they wouldn't all fit in one regular stall. Of course, if one adult does go to WDW with a cluster of kids under the age of 7, then they're going to be out of luck going on any attractions that require an adult sit with a child under the age of 7 anyways. So one adult with a 6 yr old, a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old and a baby isn't getting on anything that I can think of besides IASW, Jungle Cruise and PotC.
But there are a lot of parents that worry about their kids in the bathroom, irrational as it may be. Just look at how many moms take their 8/9/10 year old sons into the woman's restroom at WDW because they are afraid to let their kid go into the men's. Are you going to tell these moms to keep any boy over 7 out of the woman's restroom? How is this scenario any different?

But there are a lot of parents that worry about their kids in the bathroom, irrational as it may be. Just look at how many moms take their 8/9/10 year old sons into the woman's restroom at WDW because they are afraid to let their kid go into the men's. Are you going to tell these moms to keep any boy over 7 out of the woman's restroom? How is this scenario any different?
I would bet the child has a disability … might not be an irrational mom. The child may walk/appear perfectly normal.. moms do most of the dirty work.

Some quieter bathroom locations:

At MK there are bathrooms in the old restaurant building they use for the dessert party (sorry can't remember the name of the building). Again, not used by as many people. There are also bathrooms behind the stage where characters come out near the COP, again not used as often as others.
Tomorrowland Terrace. Just be aware that they don't let people in there often to use bathrooms, they usually have it roped off with CMS there since it's where they prep and set up for the HEA Dessert Party. Having a few invisible disabilities myself which require restrooms and sometimes urgently, it's been really hard when that's the closest one and they have it closed even in the daytime. Also, there are some at the end of the TT ramp near the MSUSA Bypass, but it's usually busy there anymore so that won't work for him, OP (and I'm not exactly fond of those restrooms myself, just fyi).

I would bet the child has a disability … might not be an irrational mom. The child may walk/appear perfectly normal.. moms do most of the dirty work.
No, I have seen many, many older boys in the woman's restroom and they don't have any disabilities. The moms go into the stall and the boys go into another stall and they come out on their own and wash their hands. If they needed assistance, the moms wouldn't let them go on their own.
Plus a lot of the times that I have seen them come out of the woman's restroom and go right up to the dad. Why in the world does the boy not go into the men's room with the dad?
I have daughters and when they were younger, they were very uncomfortable with boys their age going into the girl's restrooms. My youngest had a boy around 9 clearly looking in on her through the crack. Girls shouldn't have to be uncomfortable or have their privacy invaded because some moms are uncomfortable letting their sons go into the boy's bathroom. They can use the companion one once the kid is older than 6.

Huh? That's quite a tangent, and no, I have no problem with kids in the regular bathrooms, regardless of gender. As long as there are clean stalls with working doors, I have no problem with multi-toilet gender-neutral bathrooms either. Everybody pees and poops, right?

No, I have seen many, many older boys in the woman's restroom and they don't have any disabilities. The moms go into the stall and the boys go into another stall and they come out on their own and wash their hands. If they needed assistance, the moms wouldn't let them go on their own.
Plus a lot of the times that I have seen them come out of the woman's restroom and go right up to the dad. Why in the world does the boy not go into the men's room with the dad?
I have daughters and when they were younger, they were very uncomfortable with boys their age going into the girl's restrooms. My youngest had a boy around 9 clearly looking in on her through the crack. Girls shouldn't have to be uncomfortable or have their privacy invaded because some moms are uncomfortable letting their sons go into the boy's bathroom. They can use the companion one once the kid is older than 6.
I grew up with 4 sisters and have 2 daughters, all girls. Never heard what you describe. Maybe they need to construct more companion bathrooms. Autism hits the boys far more than girls. Be careful…,sounds like you’ll be blessed with a special needs grandchild and you’ll see what some families go through to do normal activities.

Huh? That's quite a tangent, and no, I have no problem with kids in the regular bathrooms, regardless of gender. As long as there are clean stalls with working doors, I have no problem with multi-toilet gender-neutral bathrooms either. Everybody pees and poops, right?
You just have a problem with a solo parent having too many kids and using the companion restroom? Companion does not mean only those with a disability. It means those who need to have someone else, like a parent with them.

I grew up with 4 sisters and have 2 daughters, all girls. Never heard what you describe. Maybe they need to construct more companion bathrooms. Autism hits the boys far more than girls. Be careful…,sounds like you’ll be blessed with a special needs grandchild and you’ll see what some families go through to do normal activities.
How rude of you to wish disabled kids on people. First off, not every kid is special needs. Second, that doesn't explain why they can't go into the men's room with their fathers. Third, how disgusting that so many of you put the mom's irrational fears and the boy's needs over the young girls. Again, it is always the girls that have to be made to feel uncomfortable and be harassed to give way to the boys.
Imagine being a 8 year old girl and having a boy watch you use the toilet. You are saying that girls should just put up with that kind of invasion and just deal with it, which is gross.
If you are going to take your boys into the woman's restroom, then at least do everyone else the curtesy to make sure that they are not wandering alone in there and peeping through the gaps. If your boy has special needs, why are you allowing him to just wonder in there without you? Which I have seen many times over the years.
Until places fix the gaps in the doors, little girls should not be subjected to being made to feel uncomfortable and spied on while using the toilet.

Last edited:
granted a different problem at small park I work at one year during covid we had one door in and others were out only. there were signs saying this. had a park manger complain we did not have this marked and he was standing right beside the sign. thank goodness it was one I was good friends with as I just pointed to sign right beside him. he just laughed should have known you would have the answer. people do not see/read signs that are right infront of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter