Sensory Integration Dysfunction?

Hi rhiannwales

If you can not get the IEP or are not willing to wait for the school to have their act together, look into some Handwriting classes or camps. I know they have them her in PA not sure if they are nationwide. If not look into using OT from a private pediatric therapy practice, you could talk with your DR and see if it is covered on insurance, usually only so many visits are covered but it would at least get him started and not fall behind.

I used my insurance for my DS's PT and OT until my visits ran out then I went through Early Intervention and IU (the state/school program).

I prefered the private but that is just me!

Our OT/PT/ST practice has summer camps and does the handwriting(HWT is the program they use). My eldest had OT from preschool to beginning of 2nd grade. He did the summer program, actually his cursive is much more readable than his printing ever was.

Sorry for bumping up and old thread, but I can't PM and just wanted to say to the original poster that it would be best for her, her hubby, and her son to get her son evaluated. Once he gets a diagnosis (if there is one), then he can get some help. For SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder - the newer name for Sensory Integration Disorder/Dysfunction), the earlier he gets help, the better the rest of his life will be.

I was diagnosed with SPD as an adult. I'd never heard of it until my doc mentioned it. When I learned about it, so many things suddenly made SOOO much sense! Had my family and I known about it when I was a child, not only would I have been able to get some help, but life in general would've been easier on us all.

So, please, do get a diagnosis now if there is to be one! Also, learn as much as you can and understand that your son cannot help what he goes through - this is a neurological disorder and it impacts life everyday of our lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter