sensory objects

isyne4u

<font color=blue>Next time I get a craving for cak
I am looking for some ideas for sensory objects to have in my classroom. I will have at least one ASD student and I'm trying to set up a nice comfy area for quiet time for the student. (and any other students who need to unwind as I teach emotionally disturbed students too)

I'm putting in a fuzzy rug, a bean bag chair, a cd player with some soothing music, and I wanted some hands on things to hold and manipulate. I'm planning on ordering some stressballs from Oriental trading and some porcupine balls.

Can anyone think of anything else I should have in this area? I'm looking for inexpensive (read: cheap....I'm just about out of money!!)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!
tara

If your school has an OT, ask about therapy putty. I keep it in my classroom and the students love it. It is stiffer than playdoh, but not as stiff as clay. It can be pulled and kneaded. You can hide small objects in it (buttons, counters, etc.) and the student can get them out and hide them again. It not only helps stress, it improves the fine motor muscles in the hands! It comes in different "stiffness" levels.

BTW, I have found tht some students are "better listeners" if they have something in their hands during group instruction. A small piece of the putty is good for that, too.

Good luck with your class next year.:teacher:

Have you thought about a weighted lap pad? I made a weighted blanket for myself and it has been wonderful.

They are expensive which is why I made one myself. If you can sew or know someone that can sew I can send you the directions. It was super easy and I am a very beginner sewer.

Good luck with the classroom, sounds like you may have your hands full :goodvibes

Last year DS's para carried around a very large rubber band for him. Not the newspaper ones ;) it was larger and wider like those exercise bands. He would mess with it instead of flapping. (or rather, they would try to get him to mess with it instead of flapping, with mixed results)

I don't know if you want to leave rubber bands laying around your classroom (ooh, too tempting) but you might keep some on hand in a drawer.

I'm a speech therapist in preschool and our OTs provide therapy balls for core stability and trampolines for joint compression. Ask the OT assigned to your class if she has any ideas. You have covered most of the basics.

I have bought plenty of things from the dollar store for my daughter. We have picked up velcro (fuzzy side adhered to a board), a scalp massager, stretchy frogs and bugs, bags of beads (to put in a bowl and hide other goodies in - this can be done with rice, too), fabric "baby books", etc. I second the weighted blanket suggestion. My daughter uses a vest at school but the blanket is great for calming her at bedtime. Our neighbor made ours for us and she found the pattern online.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I actually have a thera-band in my room for a student from last year (he didn't use it) so I will put that over there too. Don't want rubber bands where ED kids can get to the them! Hate to lose any eyes in my class! hehehe

The weighted blanket sounds good. I'll have to look in to that.

I'll see my OT this week at summer school so I'll ask her about the putty. That would save me from having to buy it myself!! hehehe

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I don't know anything about the student I have coming up next year as he is coming from a different school, so I want to be prepared for anything!

thanks,
tara

Another way to do a weighted object is to reuse an old, fairly large stuffed animal. cut open a seam and remove some of the stuffing. Replace the stuffing with either rice, dried beans or beads, and stitch it back up.

I'd like to second the idea of a weighted lap pad. They can be used in the quiet area or during classtime when the child needs to sit. The weight provides an extra level of pressure and security that really helps some kids.

If you're looking for more manipulatives for the hands, I would suggest Koosh balls. Our special ed preschool classroom has a whole bucket of little things we call "stimmies." The kids love holding Koosh and other kinds of squishy toys. Plastic slinkys are also good. I alwasy find myself on the lookout for stimmies whenever I'm shopping and I find them everywhere. On my trip to WDW, I got a Nemo "water weenie" (not sure what else to call it). It's one of those water-filled toys that you can squeeze and it's full of little fish to look at.

If you look around, you'll be surprised at how many squishy, stretchy stimmie toys you'll find and most are pretty cheap. Good luck in your classroom!:)

There is lots of stuff at the dollar stores, so that's a great idea to look there.
Another thing I thought of was those little stretchy bracelet things people use for keys. They look sort of like a telephone cord, but they are a bracelet.

I am a 21 year old girl with auspergers and have used all these things mentioned. one I also use is gum. i do not know how old these kids are or if they would leave it in there mouth but i am a chewer and when i was at schiool or work now i almost always have gumj so i do not grind my teeth but also just becuse it is realexing sugar free of course.

I have spoken to my OTs and they are more than willing to give me some things if I need it.

I like the idea of hitting the dollar store...I need to make a trip over there

Thank you all for the suggestions, they will all come in handy!!

Oh and I know that my new student has chewing gum on his IEP as an accomodation!

Thank you!!

tara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter