• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Service Dog Tips?

KiraGoesToDisney

Earning My Ears
I am going to Disney World in a few months with my one year old diabetic alert terrier. She is multi-tasked trained to alert me to both high and low blood sugars, fetch my meds, and go get someone if I am having an emergency. I am nervous about the whole trip, but I trust her, she has saved me several times. She is a small dog (10 lbs), and I wish there was more awareness out there that the small pups can be just as effective team members as their larger counterparts. I have all of her gear ready I think, but would like any suggestions there are out there that would make this trip easier for us. She has her vest, leash, sun goggles, ear muffs to muffle sound that would hurt her ears, protective boots (we lose these regularly, so I also have Musher’s Secret, which is a protective cream you can use on the bottom of their feet. We have collapsible food and water bowls etc. and an emergency kit for her. any service dog teams out there that can weigh in and give us advice for this trip? If this is the wrong thread to post this, please kindly tell me where I can post it as this is my first time visiting Disboards.

I am going to Disney World in a few months with my one year old diabetic alert terrier. She is multi-tasked trained to alert me to both high and low blood sugars, fetch my meds, and go get someone if I am having an emergency. I am nervous about the whole trip, but I trust her, she has saved me several times. She is a small dog (10 lbs), and I wish there was more awareness out there that the small pups can be just as effective team members as their larger counterparts. I have all of her gear ready I think, but would like any suggestions there are out there that would make this trip easier for us. She has her vest, leash, sun goggles, ear muffs to muffle sound that would hurt her ears, protective boots (we lose these regularly, so I also have Musher’s Secret, which is a protective cream you can use on the bottom of their feet. We have collapsible food and water bowls etc. and an emergency kit for her. any service dog teams out there that can weigh in and give us advice for this trip? If this is the wrong thread to post this, please kindly tell me where I can post it as this is my first time visiting Disboards.

I have seen people with their service dogs in the park, and have never noticed anyone even paying attention to them. Some were smaller dogs. I do have one friend who has a service dog and had a minor confrontation with a woman when she wouldn’t allow the son to pet the dog. However, my friend went multiple times a week (she lived in the area and would go after work, etc) and that was her only issue in all the times she lived there. Her dog is also a smaller service dog.

You might contact a service dog training group like Canine Companions and ask their advice, but it sounds to me like you are quite prepared for the trip with your helper.

Hi Kira!
Did you end up going on your trip with your DAD? I use a service dog too (he's a standard goldendoodle though, so bigger) and we just came back last month from our third trip with him. (The puppy in the picture is not my current service dog ;) )

I'm guessing you've already made your trip, and there isn't anything I can add. But I'd love to hear how it went if you wanted to update, and if you DO have any questions, I'd love to help for future visits! I hope you had a really great time.

Take care,
Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter